My first recording with Symphonic Instrument

Discussion of all things related to the MOTU Symphonic Instrument.

Moderator: James Steele

MarkH
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: My first recording with Symphonic Instrument

Post by MarkH »

excatcher wrote:Nice work, Fred. I had no idea that SI could sound this good. Mine doesn't. How'd you do that? I was surprised to read that you entered everything using a piano patch only; it doesn't sound it. I think you'll love actually entering the parts using the intended instrument(s). I'm with you all the way on your observation that, though the sounds aren't all aces, it's a gas to create and hear back orchestral works in this palette.

Elliott
A friend of mine purchased the East West "EWQL Symphonic Orchestra" Silver Edition and had the same bland feeling "out of the box". All these people raved about it so he bought EWQL Silver, thought it sounded horrible, and it wasn't until he started using EQ, Compression, Reverb, and Delay that made him realize how great EWQL was. MSI is the same way. Granted that Vienna Symphonic is a bit more high-end, the majority of complaints are lack of user knowledge.
G5 Quad, 30" Cinema, MOTU Traveler, KRK Rokit 6 Special Edition, DP 5.1, OS X 10.4.8
papageno

K2 sample library

Post by papageno »

If you want to compare MSI library to Kontakt2 orchestral library then you can find one K2 project here:

http://home.music.ee/StabatMater.mp3

All sounds, exept the bass clarinet, are from VSL library which is included in K2 package.
Solo tenor is with organ sound.

This is played by Finale.
+372 56222285
lamboguy

Post by lamboguy »

Thanks everybody, I really appreciate the comments!

Obviously, I can't take much credit for this because it's Prokofiev's music and MI instruments. But, I guess it probably does help to have at least some orchestral background when you're working with all this.

As for inputting with a "piano" patch...my piano playing tends to be orchestral in nature anyway, so that probably helped. But still, I'm now working on another piece and playing the lines in using the virtual instruments, and obviously it's going to sound better that way. (except that since it's my writing and not Prokofiev's, the piece won't sound as good, that's for sure!!! :lol:

Again, thanks for the input everybody, it helps me sort out what I'm doing wrong and focus on some stuff I'm doing right.

Cheers,

Fred

PS: I really can't wait for 5-10 years from now when all this stuff is in full gear!!! (especially strings)
JamesBondz

Post by JamesBondz »

kewl topic guys :) :)
God bless America!
JamesBondz

Post by JamesBondz »

I think you are right guys! :)
God bless America!
kelldammit
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by kelldammit »

jeeez, man. nice work. i hope you don't mind, but i'm putting that mp3 onto my ipod's "software demo" playlist. it's nice to hear what instruments are capable of, and not just what i end up using them for :) it's inpiring, especially considering the "first-time project" nature of it.

i look forward to hearing a snippet or two of your original composition(s)!

kell
Feed the children! Preferably to starving wild animals.
ASUS 2.5ghz i7 laptop, 32Gb RAM, win10 x64, RME Babyface, Akai MPK-61, Some Plugins, Guitars and Stuff, Lava Lamps.