dp for the Pc

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
Baptiste
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Baptiste »

hi everyone,

let me translate jidis writings, I'll answer you soon...

Baptiste
PC: P4 630 @ 3Ghz / Asus P5GD2 Premium / 1GB Ram(Corsair Value Select DDRII 512 Mo PC4200 x2) in dual channel
OS on 160GB SATA150 7200rpm Maxtor HD / Audio files on 200GB SATA150 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda HD
Softs: Nuendo 3, Waves-Platinum Bundle v4.0.
MOTU 896HD, MOTU MIDI express 128 USB, Alesis ADAT Black, KRK V6 series2 monitors, Behringer T1950 Magician, Roland TD6-K, Korg X5-D, SPD20, Yam A3000, and my musicians... :mrgreen:

PS: Apologize for my bad english :lol:
sdfalk

Post by sdfalk »

Sorry
but from one version of OSX X to the next, I generally find it faster
and less painful on system resources.
My wife is using a G4/400 with PhotoShop under Tiger, and finds the
experience far more enjoyable then anything under OS9.
Jidis

Post by Jidis »

sdfalk wrote:My wife is using a G4/400
Ouch! :lol:

That should be one before mine, while they were still on the 100MHz bus. Mine was about even with the Quicksilver 733 (faster on a couple tests). I think some of it depends on your work habits and maybe how much coffee you drink. :wink: I helped an older lady with her XP machine yesterday, and it had so much junk loading at startup and running behind the OS, that it was like you had an anvil chained to your ankle. She was absolutely fine with that after it was running, but didn't like waiting for it to boot. Dealing with all the menu fade effects and waiting for all the pretty icons and backgrounds to draw, made me feel like jumping out a window while just trying to move around on the desktop. The sad thing is, this machine was about a hundred MHz faster than my own main studio rig, and it felt like it was 10 years older. I use the keys a lot, plus one of those giant, cueball sized Kensington Turbo Mice, and have gotten used to having the machine respond about the same speed I can move at. After being on 98Lite for a while, I've gotten to where I can sort of "feel" a certain amount of latency, which many wouldn't even notice. I run XPLite now, but there's always a limited degree of "stripping" you can do to a "Gig-plus" OS. :cry:

Yeah, they did get some tweaks down after the first couple OSX builds. I remember it. My cousin was pleading with me to give it another shot, but I was too tied to the classics. I used to strip my OS 7,8, and 9's down the same way I do Windows. I still don't think that even newer enhanced code tweaks are going to focus too much on previous CPU's or host machines, at least not beyond a certain age. It's a shame Apple and MS don't all work on "kernel" type upgrades for old OS's, rather than developing new ones. Last year's system, often times, can really show off the performance of the newer machines if they let you run it. Sadly, it's like the systems keep getting bigger and bigger with the new technology, so certain areas will always feel about the same.

Take Care,

George