DP Control App?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
stublito
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: DP Control App?

Post by stublito »

Ditto for an iPhone 4, assuming you have downloaded DP Control previously.

The very cool thing about the 4 is that replacing the battery is very easy, just 2 screws, off comes the back, another screw or two, the battery and connector are right at the back.

I use DP live and DP control is dat shite for that, but wifi is very power intensive and on an iPhone with an old battery, or an iPod Touch (I have 2 of those as well), the battery only lasts about an hour.

Stublito
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by bayswater »

stublito wrote:Ditto for an iPhone 4, assuming you have downloaded DP Control previously.

The very cool thing about the 4 is that replacing the battery is very easy, just 2 screws, off comes the back, another screw or two, the battery and connector are right at the back.

I use DP live and DP control is dat shite for that, but wifi is very power intensive and on an iPhone with an old battery, or an iPod Touch (I have 2 of those as well), the battery only lasts about an hour.

Stublito
The battery should not be an problem for this purpose. Before updating to iOS7, I was able to use my iPhone 4 or 4S, and just left it powered via a USB connection while using it with DP Control.
2018 Mini i7 32G macOS 12.6, DP 11.32, Mixbus 10, Logic 10.7, Scarlett 18i8
spirit
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by spirit »

I have older ipads and computers and DP versions I would like to try DP control with.
But I tried my ipad 2 with ios 6 and my old ipad mini with ios 8 and I don't see DP control in the app store when I search for DP control DPcontrol Digital Performer DigitalPerformer or motu.

Please if anyone knows what it was/is called in the app store please post it here?

Thanks
CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by CharlzS »

spirit wrote:I have older ipads and computers and DP versions I would like to try DP control with.
But I tried my ipad 2 with ios 6 and my old ipad mini with ios 8 and I don't see DP control in the app store when I search for DP control DPcontrol Digital Performer DigitalPerformer or motu.

Please if anyone knows what it was/is called in the app store please post it here?

Thanks
Try pasting this link into Safari on the iPad: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/dp-control/id380483770
DP 11.32 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

spirit wrote:I have older ipads and computers and DP versions I would like to try DP control with.

Thanks
For me it stopped working after iOS 4. I can still get it to work on DP 8 my original iPad Touch, but nothing after that.
josefpeters

Post by josefpeters »

Hello there, I am trying to get some info on using a control app with DP and the iPad. What is the best control service app to use? I can not find the one DP had for the iPhone, and I can not find one in the apps fpr the iPad.

Who has used this kind of set up does it work, what's the best version Ipad that i need to use it and what app should I use.

Many thanks
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

This has been discussed many times over a few years. Looks like you already did a search for it. But if you go to the advanced search (upper right) and enter "DP Control" with the quotes, you'll probably find quite a few more hits. The short answer is that there are a few iOS apps, most on the App Store that will do more or less what DP Control did. I've never found any of them to be that good and have stuck with an old BCF2000.
beautypill

Post by beautypill »

I feel like I'm stating the obvious here:

In an age of self-recording — especially in the pandemic time — a DAW controller app is absolutely essential.

I find it weird that MOTU has not maintained this product. I think it was a bad move to drop it instead of developing it and advertising it.

It was sooooo helpful!

- c
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

beautypill wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 2:33 pm I feel like I'm stating the obvious here:

In an age of self-recording — especially in the pandemic time — a DAW controller app is absolutely essential.

I find it weird that MOTU has not maintained this product. I think it was a bad move to drop it instead of developing it and advertising it.

It was sooooo helpful!

- c
Agree 100%. I love DP, but I'm supremely jealous of the outstanding controller support every other DAW on my system has, including iOS apps designed forthe DAWs like Logic, Studio One, Cubase, etc. etc.

The lack of controller support in general is hugely damaging to it's standing IMO. Personally I've never understood why DAW developers don't take on the responsibility themselves to write the sort of scripts that you see Moss do for Bitwig and DAW that Cannot Be Named™. This work IMO pays for itself, and if a independent musician like Moss can do it I don't see why MOTU couldn't?
http://www.mossgrabers.de/Software/Bitwig/Bitwig.html
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

The controller app was great. It's another broken limb of DP's feature set and example of how MOTU rolls when it comes to maintaining DP. A VNC app on another computer will work in a pinch but isn't really a replacement.
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Agree with all the comments. I wish MOTU would bring back DP Control. I’d even pay for it if they are worried about putting resources towards it.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Michael Canavan

James Steele wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:34 am Agree with all the comments. I wish MOTU would bring back DP Control. I’d even pay for it if they are worried about putting resources towards it.
I've been attending the webinars as much as I can, and I think it would be a fantastic idea if we as end users flooded MOTU a bit about this. I'm in total agreement, even a lowly cost of $10 would probably cover updating it and making it modern. Logic Remote for iOS is really pretty nice, and I see no reason why MOTU couldn't match it. It's also the most robust solution for Clip firing hardware, MOTU probably aren't keen on making partnerships with Novation and Akai because both companies make competing products to their audio interfaces and Akai make a hardware version of a Clip launcher etc.

The iOS app still loads on 1'st and 2nd generation iPads, but certain things don't work, on my system adding a Marker via the iPad freezes the interface, and it generally has a hard time connecting to DP and the Mac here. I only use it in the most extreme cases where I need a remote. :x
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

MOTU introduced it as a feature in DP7 then failed to maintain it. I think we should kindly ask to please fix it as such maintenance should haven been part of the at least three upgrades that have passed in the decade since they introduced it. Given the success and popularity or their audio interfaces, as well as the control apps for those devices, It would seem like they have enough resources to just get it working or provide an alternative.
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
Michael Canavan

pencilina wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:43 am MOTU introduced it as a feature in DP7 then failed to maintain it. I think we should kindly ask to please fix it as such maintenance should haven been part of the at least three upgrades that have passed in the decade since they introduced it. Given the success and popularity or their audio interfaces, as well as the control apps for those devices, It would seem like they have enough resources to just get it working or provide an alternative.
This is the sad panda part. The iOS interfaces for their hardware are super nice, modern interfaces. They need to take some care with DP. They were almost first out the door with an iOS controller, then just left it hanging. I love MOTU, but their record is looking a lot like NI lately with a list of near abandoned or abandoned software titles etc.
beautypill

Post by beautypill »

James Steele wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:34 am Agree with all the comments. I wish MOTU would bring back DP Control. I’d even pay for it if they are worried about putting resources towards it.
I would definitely pay for it!

Was that the issue? Was it a free app? (I can't remember.)

- c