NO MORE L.A.M.E. for 8.02

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
MIDI Life Crisis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: NO MORE L.A.M.E. for 8.02

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Indeed, spotting to DP would be very nice.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

According to the version2 video, they have it for Logic and Cubase/Nuendo as well..

I'm a little surprised it doesn't work with DP. Argen, et al have traditionally been supportive of DP users over the years.

Still, Snapper is a rockin' little app.. so useful!
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
joelfriedman

Post by joelfriedman »

I asked back in 2010 (?) and they told me that it was a possibility or something like that. Just hasn't happened. Maybe with the new "kick" from DP 8 it will be worth their time and money to code it.

Best,

Joel
Joel Friedman
Web: http://www.joelfriedman.com
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/joelfriedman
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/joel-friedman/1b/7b2/8a9

2023 Mac Studio Ultra M2, 4TB/128GB (external 4TYB sample drive), OS 14.5. MOTU UltraLite MK4, Nektar Impact LX88
DP 11.3.2, MachFive 3.2, MX4 2.2, Ethno 2.01, Komplete 14 Ultimate (don't ask...), Sibelius Ultimate, Symphobia v. 1.06, assorted libraries...

MacBook Pro M1 16 GB RAM OS 14.5
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Addressing the original topic:

I noticed that in DP 8.02, the choice for L.A.M.E. export in the dialog box had moved from near the bottom of the list to the top of the non-Core-Audio list. So, this morning I removed the L.A.M.E. components I installed for DP 8.01 from the AUdio Export folder, and DP 8.02 still has the same options in the same order, with a L.A.M.E. MP3 at the top of the list.

So, however the licensing works, the L.A.M.E. codec must be at the heart of DP's built-in MP3 export. The resulting MP3 sounded really great, but I am wondering...

Have any of you noticed that the process of creating a VBR MP3 is considerably slower than before? I don't mind, because a side-by-side comparison of an MP3 bounced from 8.01 with the L.A.M.E. framework and the same file bounced in DP 8.02 reveals that the latter file is much closer to the sound of the AIF file it was created from... louder, clearer, instantly noticeable improvement in dynamic range. Is this possible? Is DP making a better MP3 by taking it's time in the encoding?
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

I too wondered why so slow?
I will have to do an A-B comparison soon.
For most uses, the slowness of the process makes it unusable for me. Most often, client is on way out door waiting for a scratch to take home. For that, I need the speed of itunes.
In the future. IF DP sounds better, i can use it’s codex to make permanent MP3s.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc