Best Hammond B3 VI

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Dan Worley
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Best Hammond B3 VI

Post by Dan Worley »

Just having the VB3 AU component installed crashes DP7.21 at launch on my system.

c-ya,

Dan Worley
DP10.13
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Dan Worley wrote:Just having the VB3 AU component installed crashes DP7.21 at launch on my system.
Anyone know if DP 7.22, 7.23, or 7.24 might have fixed that issue?
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Frodo wrote:BUT... it would concern me greatly if DP were being unfairly singled out if VB3 for Mac itself led to the same results with other Mac-compatible DAW hosts.
Agreed, but noone knows exactly who's at fault. VC3 may have a glitch that Cubase and Logic ignore, while DP crashes. Then again, it's completely possible that it's DP at fault, having a small AU glitch that only VC3 triggers.

Regardless, if worse comes to worse, I can always use Jambalaya as a host, and route it to DP with IAC/Soundflower. It would be a pain, but could work in a pinch.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Prime Mover wrote:
Frodo wrote:BUT... it would concern me greatly if DP were being unfairly singled out if VB3 for Mac itself led to the same results with other Mac-compatible DAW hosts.
Agreed, but noone knows exactly who's at fault. VC3 may have a glitch that Cubase and Logic ignore, while DP crashes.
Yeah, that was my whole point. We don't know who's at fault.... and there could be some work remaining to be done on the Mac version of VB3.

But, if one is able to use some implementation of standalone to make good use of those tones, then the end result either betrays the problem or supersedes the process of getting beyond it. That doesn't make it all okay, but if someone loved the B3 in your track, it would take a mighty deep breath not to spoil the compliment.

I still think our friend from the UK summed it up perfectly:

"Shame it's such an arse on."
Last edited by Frodo on Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I will have to try the VB3 demo and see how it fares on my system. Those demos do sound really good, and I end using a lot of Hammond patches in my work... it's kind of "instant excitement" the same way Tabasco is "instant hot." (I'm working on a video game score right now that features some 70's proto-metal Jon Lord-ish B3.)
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

I'll do the same
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Shooshie wrote:If you happen to have MachFive.2, there's a great Hammond model in it. Sliders and all. I don't know if I trust the future of MachFive at this point, but that's only because I haven't seen anything about it on the MOTU site for a long, long time. If they revise it soon, it may well be worth the money.
Just by way of update:

http://www.motu.com/products/software/machfive" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:woohoo:
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
AnthonyS
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by AnthonyS »

FWIW, I have never had any problems with VB3 ver 1.4 on my iMac. Smooth sailing through all updates of DP7, even with the upgrade to Lion.

Not sure what it could be. Did you contact Guido at GSI? He's pretty quick to respond.

My .02 Sorry about the issues.
MacBook Pro 15" 2G QuadCore i7,8G RAM, 20"Intel iMac 2.4Ghz , 4G RAM.OSX 10.8.3 on both, DP 7.24, MOTU 828MK3, AudioBox 1818, KRK Rokit 6G2, Omnisphere 1.5, Komplete 8, Amplitube 2&3, SampleTank, Sonik Synth2, SampleMoog, SampleTron, Ivory 2, Philharmonik, EWQL MOR, SC, SOG, SD2, Reason 6, Waves, McDSP, Slate Digital VCC, FGX, Sound Toys.
Little Known

Post by Little Known »

AnthonyS wrote:
Not sure what it could be. Did you contact Guido at GSI? He's pretty quick to respond.

My .02 Sorry about the issues.
I did contact him. He said it was a problem with some DP platforms, not all of them. It didn't not seem like a pressing issue for him. I find the VB3 is a bit like "crack for audio engineers". The sound is so good and emulation so realistic that even though I know there will be problems I still use it!

Dean
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Little Known wrote:The sound is so good and emulation so realistic that even though I know there will be problems I still use it!

Dean

That's the medical definition of addiction... "continued use in the face of harm!" :lol:

I guess I better check this thing out real soon.
Last edited by Gravity Jim on Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
b.g.

Post by b.g. »

Armageddon wrote:I still own, love and use my old B4 II. It still works fine here, as does Pro-53 ... one of the many reasons I don't wanna upgrade to Lion.
I don't know about Pro-53, but B4 II works in Lion.
MacBook Pro retina 2015, i7, 16GB, DP 10, M4
Tim

Post by Tim »

jlaudon wrote: I recently had to do a remake of brain salad surgery...
!!!
b.g.

Post by b.g. »

Tim wrote:
jlaudon wrote: I recently had to do a remake of brain salad surgery...
!!!
Yeah, I'd like to know more about that too!
MacBook Pro retina 2015, i7, 16GB, DP 10, M4
SixStringGeek

Post by SixStringGeek »

b.g. wrote:B4 II works in Lion.
Best news I've heard today. :headbang:
DP 8.newest on MacPro 5,1 Dual Hex 3.33GHz 64G Ram, 3TB SSDs.
Thousands of $'s worth of vintage gear currently valued in the dozens of dollars.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

SixStringGeek wrote:
b.g. wrote:B4 II works in Lion.
Best news I've heard today. :headbang:
I'll second that!