How do i turn audio into MIDI?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
williemyers
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: How do i turn audio into MIDI?

Post by williemyers »

Shooshie wrote:it may BE in the manual.
FWIW, it's on pg. 860 (DP7) "Converting Audio pitch to MIDI data" under "Pt. 8/Transposing Audio" in the TOC.
Shooshie wrote:And when I tried it, it seems like it wasn't quite as easy as it sounds.
1000% agree. *HIGHLY* recommend that anyone attempting this read the aforementioned part of the manual *very* closely. It's a very tricky thing to get right....may take multiple attempts. YMMV
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
donreynolds

Post by donreynolds »

It's pretty easy with melodyne. I did it once just to see if it works.. sang a vocal and the used the convert audio to MIDI feature, then triggered my keyboard with different samples. Kind of interesting to blend vocals with samples. I have not used it for anything , but was interested to see if I could do it in case I ever needed too.
DP 9, MacPro 2.93/8 core/22 Gb RAM. OS X 10.11.6, 13"Macbook PRO 2.66 Duo, OS 10.11.6 El Capitan, 2xWD 150gig Raptor x 2, x3 My Book Studio 1 & 2Tb drive x 2, DP 7.24, BLA/Motu 896 HD x 2, BLA microclock ll, Presonus Central Station, Waves Plat. V7 , Slate Everything, Melodyne studio, SSD 5, TruePianos, Scuffham S-Gear, Alpha Track, Event 20/20 bas, Adam A7, and other toys, Lotsa guitars, HeadRush GTR processor and a Korg Triton)
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Not a MIDI paste, but I did do this once. I had a lead vocalist that was terrible. The gal that was singing harmony was wonderful. I had her sing his part, matching phrasing as closely as possible. She did a great job even matching his vibrato in most areas. I copied the pitch data, transposed it down an octave and pasted it to his vocal track. Instant pitch correction! It worked like a charm. I only had to tweak a couple of spots and it was done in minutes.

We never did tell him what we did. :roll:

Phil
DP 11.32, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.5/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.