ADVC 110 or ADVC 55?

Digital Perfomer in the context of television/film scoring and post-production.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for discussion related to the use of Digital Perfomer in the context of television and film scoring and post-production.
stephentayler
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: ADVC 110 or ADVC 55?

Post by stephentayler »

James Steele wrote: I have one of these older ADVC-100 boxes. Just curious what is supplanting it as far as 16:9 aspect ratio? I haven't done much for video in a long time-- certainly not post scoring and synched to picture. As far as I can tell the ADVC-100 is meant for standard def 4:3 aspect ratio, yes?
But surely widescreen can be achieved through FW if the DV files are formatted for 16:9 and the display is set to 16:9?

It is just that DP cannot display the 16:9 aspect of DV on the computer screen.

Cheers

Stephen
Stephen W Tayler: Sound Artist
http://www.chimera-arts.com
http://ostinatomusic.com
http://stephentayler.com

Mac Pro 16Gb RAM, OSX 10.10, DP 8, PT 11, Logic 9.1.8, MOTU Traveler, Ultralite Mk 3 Hybrid, MC MIx, MOTU VIs, Waves, Izotope Everything, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, Slate, Softube, NI , spl Surround Monitor Controller, spl Auditor Headphone amp, Genelec 1031A, 1029 5.1 system, Sontronics Mics, iPad etc..
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I don't know. I was just asking. I would think that the ADVC-110 would be limited. Geez... you know what? I have an ADVC-100... that's even older. :shock:
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
PMortise
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by PMortise »

stephentayler wrote:
James Steele wrote: I have one of these older ADVC-100 boxes. Just curious what is supplanting it as far as 16:9 aspect ratio? I haven't done much for video in a long time-- certainly not post scoring and synched to picture. As far as I can tell the ADVC-100 is meant for standard def 4:3 aspect ratio, yes?
But surely widescreen can be achieved through FW if the DV files are formatted for 16:9 and the display is set to 16:9?

It is just that DP cannot display the 16:9 aspect of DV on the computer screen.

Cheers

Stephen
That has been my experience.

4:3 has been pretty straight forward, but when I compare a 16:9 video file using it's Quicktime window as a reference, the ADVC-100 screen is slightly cropped around the edges. The same file in the DP video window is anamorphic.

I'm no video expert, but I think the reason for the crop is because when files start in HD 720x480 and get downgraded to SD it can change the ratio to 853x480. So the image gets slightly cropped.
DP 10.11 / 3.33GHz 12-Core, 10.15.7, 128GB / 3.33GHz 12-Core, 10.15.7, 128GB /
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge, but imagination." ~ Einstein
rosindabow

Post by rosindabow »

Just to let everyone know who contributed: purchased the ADVC 110 and it has been working flawlessly! As long as I use my Quicktime 7 to convert the movie to dv, no problems. I also experience somewhere between a 5 and a 7 frame offset - not bad overall. The great thing is - I don't even think about it anymore. Connected and forgot about it. Thanks for everyone's insight!
DP 11.22, Mac Pro 14,8 macOS X 13.5, 128 GB RAM, Apogee Symphony I/O, Apollo x8p, UAD plug-ins, PSP, Waves Mercury, NI Komplete Ultimate 14, Spectrasonics, Hollywood Orchestra, Spitfire; Symphobia, Los Angeles Scoring Strings, True Strike, VSL, real violins, guitars, mandolins, pianos, drums, percussion & lots of other stuff...
ironchef_marc

Post by ironchef_marc »

I too am looking to add a 2nd video card to output my QT to a TV monitor as it seems to be the most convenient and reliable as you don't need to convert the QT and you don't introduce any delay.
Any recommendation for a decent video card for that purpose?
I have a second monitor to my Mac Pro but never had a 2nd video card and I don't quite understand how it works. How do you get QT to out put to it?
New Rig |MAC Studio | OS12.6 | 64GB RAM | Storage | miniStack STX 18TB, (14TB HDD, 4TB SSD) | Crucial X8 4TB SSD |
Softwares | DP 11.22 | VEPRO7 | Audio Interface | M4 |
--
old rig | MAC Pro 2 X 2.26 GHz, 8-Core | 10.11.6 | 32 GB RAM | DP9.52 | 2408mk3 | MTP AV
zaratero

Post by zaratero »

A second card would behave just as a second monitor AFAIK. Drag the QT window within DP.
The way I have it setup, using a 32" TV as my second monitor through VGA, I have a black desktop, normal size video window, and the screen resolution is brought down to fit the size of the video ref, mostly SD TV stuff. So it´s not very usefull as a regular screen, except for meters everything is way too big, but it´s the nicest way to display the video I´ve found.
The major drawback is not being able to go full screen (and loose the window frame). Does somebody know why we don´t have that ability? I currently don´t understand why, once QT PRO is capable of doing it and DP is using QT. Should it be easy to implement?
http://www.cueaudio.org
Macpro 3.1 Octocore-16Gb RAM-OSX10.8 - DP 7.24
Macbook pro Core2Duo-4Gb RAM-OSX10.6 - DP 7.24
ironchef_marc

Post by ironchef_marc »

Got my 2nd video card works like a charm! I agree it'd be nice to go full screen and lose the window frame of QT in a manner that if you do a capture screen it would save those settings. I'll send this to MOTU as a request. Other than that it works great, way cheaper the ADVC, more convenient (no need to convert to DV) and mostly no added delay.

-icm
New Rig |MAC Studio | OS12.6 | 64GB RAM | Storage | miniStack STX 18TB, (14TB HDD, 4TB SSD) | Crucial X8 4TB SSD |
Softwares | DP 11.22 | VEPRO7 | Audio Interface | M4 |
--
old rig | MAC Pro 2 X 2.26 GHz, 8-Core | 10.11.6 | 32 GB RAM | DP9.52 | 2408mk3 | MTP AV