DP 6.01 behaving well anyone else?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
NashvilleJoe
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 6.01 behaving well anyone else?

Post by NashvilleJoe »

system is running great!!! rock solid and i only have to restart my machine ever couple of days- which while annoying is much better than i remember my Linn 9000 being ;))
MOTU user since 1988

Tree Roots 32 ch Console, StamChilds, Zenner, Pultecs, StaLevel, Neve racks, SSL, WesAudio & Stam racks, Burl Mothership, Barefoot MM27, AMS reverb, Mac Pro, UAD, Waves, Lexicon-
jsblack
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by jsblack »

Hi,
Does anybody aim at applying an effect ( like reverb or echo ) on a soundbite and get some post roll...?
i put some kind of 45 000 and get no length..?
Thx
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

On average sized projects it's great even with all my VI's but....

There seems to be a threshold on "size" of sessions, number of VI's and types of VI's that when in a MIDI editing situation makes all versions from DP 5.0 to 6.0.1 very volatile and on the hairy edge or even crashing still and only when editing MIDI.

I have reached this level many times able to calm the waters with buffer increases but it seems to be more than just buffers and indeed could actually be Apple related IMHO.

On these large sessions, when MIDI editing a note of a VI and doing so without saving regularly, crash. If buffers are not sufficient, and I'm talkin maybe the difference between like 1024 and 2048 on big sessions, crash. After moving a note backwards for instance, it my be fine but sometimes simply moving your curser after might crash it but then but strangely only if you have not saved in a while. I recommend saving before you move the mouse which seems to help.

These types of painful crashes have followed me from my G5 2.5 machine through all versions of MAC OS and up to my latest as seen below. So for now, I do not rate it as perfectly smooth for the music I make.

This is my honest opinion from experience to date.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
Eleventh Hour Sound

Post by Eleventh Hour Sound »

Amazingly, DP 6.01 is running really solid on my MacBook Pro! I put a 7200 rpm drive in it and have it connected to a couple eSata drives. I took my projects that I had on my G5 Quad (8Gigs) and I'm amazed that they're playing back almost flawlessly on my MBPro (3Gigs). Dp 6.01 really seems to like Intel. This is primarily for mixing with lots of plugs. I think of of the biggest culprits was having 2 versions of T-Racks and not knowing it... v1.22 and v1.3. v1.22 was crash city with Leo and DP 6.01.
DP11.1, 16" MacBookPro 2.3Ghz 8 Core i9's 32GB Ram 1TB SSD, (2) external 1TB Samsung SSD's , Steven Slate SSD 5.5 and Trigger Drums, ML-1 Mic and VSX Headphones, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Ivory2, EW, MSI, MX-4, Philharmonik 2, Komplete, Reason, Live, Melodyne, IK Multi's Total Studio, ARC, T-RackS, SampleTron, AMG's KickA--Brass. and my beloved guitars :-)
dinobass

Post by dinobass »

I'm having major issues with DP 6.0.1. Bought a Mac Pro quad 3.2 with 18G of RAM and two extra internal drives (one for audio and one for VI libraries) about a month ago and was having so many problems I decided to clone my start-up drive today and then erase it and install OSX 10.5.5 and DP from scratch. DP and the computer run great until this weird glitch shows up: when I try to Bounce to Disk or Set Audio Level from the pull-down menu, the window that pops up is blank (if I use the keyboard shortcut, the Bounce to Disk window appears correctly). I have been checking for this bug in every project I've been working on over the course of each project, and I can never tell at what point or why it will occur. Then the fun part: DP hums along and I finish my work, but the next time I open the project DP crashes on opening. The project I was working on today crashed when I reopened it, and the new project that I loaded that chunk into worked great until I closed it and tried to open it: when it crashed on opening. And this was after I erased my start-up disc (NOT an archive and install) and started fresh. Waves plugs are also taking forever to load. RBass and MaxxBass take almost a minute to open in a project. Trying to troubleshoot a bit, I opened an empty project and loaded 5 Waves plugs. I then closed and re-opened the project: it took 2:45 for DP to open (from the time the consolidated window appeared to when the 5 waves plugs actually came up). By comparison, 20 UAD2 plugs opened in probably 3 seconds.
Mac Studio M2 Ultra 128G RAM OSX 14.3, 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, UA Apollo x6, UA Apollo Twin, UAD-2 Satellite (x2)
Eleventh Hour Sound

dinobass wrote:I'm having major issues with DP 6.0.1. Bought a Mac Pro quad 3.2 with 18G of RAM and two extra internal drives (one for audio and one for VI libraries) about a month ago and was having so many problems I decided to clone my start-up drive today and then erase it and install OSX 10.5.5 and DP from scratch. DP and the computer run great until this weird glitch shows up: when I try to Bounce to Disk or Set Audio Level from the pull-down menu, the window that pops up is blank (if I use the keyboard shortcut, the Bounce to Disk window appears correctly). I have been checking for this bug in every project I've been working on over the course of each project, and I can never tell at what point or why it will occur. Then the fun part: DP hums along and I finish my work, but the next time I open the project DP crashes on opening. The project I was working on today crashed when I reopened it, and the new project that I loaded that chunk into worked great until I closed it and tried to open it: when it crashed on opening. And this was after I erased my start-up disc (NOT an archive and install) and started fresh. Waves plugs are also taking forever to load. RBass and MaxxBass take almost a minute to open in a project. Trying to troubleshoot a bit, I opened an empty project and loaded 5 Waves plugs. I then closed and re-opened the project: it took 2:45 for DP to open (from the time the consolidated window appeared to when the 5 waves plugs actually came up). By comparison, 20 UAD2 plugs opened in probably 3 seconds.
Wow, sorry you're having those problems. Sounds like you've got a really nice setup, and something's still not working right. I don't have any of the plugs you mentioned so maybe someone else can tell you their experience. Have you turned off "always run in realtime?" for your plug ins? That may help. If that doesn't work, I would try turning them off and see if that fixes everything. If/so I would turn them on one by one till you find the culprit. Also, checking buffer size, I would give yourself 1024 for playback.

A couple other possibilities: Try turning spotlight indexing off by opening system prefs, spotlight, and then dragging your Hard drives on there. Since you just did a fresh install, it might be trying to index all your drives at once. Of course repairing disk permissions... Also, what kind of additional drives did you add and how are they formatted? I'm sure they're at least 7200 rpm with a 16meg buffer. (This part may be overkill but here's what I do): I usually take a new drive and format it with 1 pass erase so that any bad blocks will get mapped out. Then when I have the opportunity to choose the block size I think I picked 128k or 256k since audio files will probably not need the smaller sizes.

Bounce to disk was problematic for me with 6.0, I haven't tried it yet with 6.01. When I first open a file that has missing fx plug ins the dialog box is often blank at least for a while. I found that grabbing the lower right corner and dragging sometimes helps it re-draw.
DP11.1, 16" MacBookPro 2.3Ghz 8 Core i9's 32GB Ram 1TB SSD, (2) external 1TB Samsung SSD's , Steven Slate SSD 5.5 and Trigger Drums, ML-1 Mic and VSX Headphones, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Ivory2, EW, MSI, MX-4, Philharmonik 2, Komplete, Reason, Live, Melodyne, IK Multi's Total Studio, ARC, T-RackS, SampleTron, AMG's KickA--Brass. and my beloved guitars :-)
celestial

Post by celestial »

I don't know what happened to the post re. Plugins that DP 6.0x doesn't like - but I've found another one - PSP Vintage Warmer 2 - which is a shame as it's one of my favourites...
Macbook Pro, DP11.1
jlaudon

Post by jlaudon »

Vintagewarmer 2 with DP 6.01 has been working great for me - I'm on PPC though. Maybe a Vintagewarmer/Intel/Leopard issue?
MacBook Pro 2021 (M1 Ultra) with 64 gigs RAM. DP 11.23
NashvilleJoe

Post by NashvilleJoe »

celestial wrote:I don't know what happened to the post re. Plugins that DP 6.0x doesn't like - but I've found another one - PSP Vintage Warmer 2 - which is a shame as it's one of my favourites...
one of my fav plugs and i use it every day with 6.01!!
MOTU user since 1988

Tree Roots 32 ch Console, StamChilds, Zenner, Pultecs, StaLevel, Neve racks, SSL, WesAudio & Stam racks, Burl Mothership, Barefoot MM27, AMS reverb, Mac Pro, UAD, Waves, Lexicon-
NashvilleJoe

Post by NashvilleJoe »

dinobass wrote:I'm having major issues with DP 6.0.1. Bought a Mac Pro quad 3.2 with 18G of RAM and two extra internal drives (one for audio and one for VI libraries) about a month ago and was having so many problems I decided to clone my start-up drive today and then erase it and install OSX 10.5.5 and DP from scratch. DP and the computer run great until this weird glitch shows up: when I try to Bounce to Disk or Set Audio Level from the pull-down menu, the window that pops up is blank (if I use the keyboard shortcut, the Bounce to Disk window appears correctly). I have been checking for this bug in every project I've been working on over the course of each project, and I can never tell at what point or why it will occur. Then the fun part: DP hums along and I finish my work, but the next time I open the project DP crashes on opening. The project I was working on today crashed when I reopened it, and the new project that I loaded that chunk into worked great until I closed it and tried to open it: when it crashed on opening. And this was after I erased my start-up disc (NOT an archive and install) and started fresh. Waves plugs are also taking forever to load. RBass and MaxxBass take almost a minute to open in a project. Trying to troubleshoot a bit, I opened an empty project and loaded 5 Waves plugs. I then closed and re-opened the project: it took 2:45 for DP to open (from the time the consolidated window appeared to when the 5 waves plugs actually came up). By comparison, 20 UAD2 plugs opened in probably 3 seconds.
this may seem like a long shot, but i am posting because i saw this with a system (dp 5 , 10.5 with the waves plugins)- intel box ect... this guy had cloned his drive, similar issues, and was having all kinds of issues with both waves and DP-

We pulled all his drives except for the boot drive and we realized that dp was looking on different drives for info-it seemed as it was trying to pull info from a couple of drives simultaneously...... we we got all the installs right on his boot drive..... the other drives disconnected ......and then once we got his boot drive straight, we added the other drives- he ended up having to reinstall Ivory, Dimension and Waves- but it runs rock solid
MOTU user since 1988

Eleventh Hour Sound

NashvilleJoe wrote:
this may seem like a long shot, but i am posting because i saw this with a system (dp 5 , 10.5 with the waves plugins)- intel box ect... this guy had cloned his drive, similar issues, and was having all kinds of issues with both waves and DP-

We pulled all his drives except for the boot drive and we realized that dp was looking on different drives for info-it seemed as it was trying to pull info from a couple of drives simultaneously...... we we got all the installs right on his boot drive..... the other drives disconnected ......and then once we got his boot drive straight, we added the other drives- he ended up having to reinstall Ivory, Dimension and Waves- but it runs rock solid
For what it's worth, when I clone my boot drive, I always use the exact same name "Macintosh HD" I also always use the same name for my VI/Sample library drive so it looks the same to my system also :)
Last edited by Eleventh Hour Sound on Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
celestial

Post by celestial »

NashvilleJoe wrote:
celestial wrote:I don't know what happened to the post re. Plugins that DP 6.0x doesn't like - but I've found another one - PSP Vintage Warmer 2 - which is a shame as it's one of my favourites...
one of my fav plugs and i use it every day with 6.01!!
Good to hear that Joe - so your system is fairly stable? We run lots of audio, lots of VIs and lots of plugins, and it's not stable. Though making all plugins run real time has helped (in DP preferences). But I'm still getting "Mac OS Error 108 - Out Of Memory" windows popping up over and over, and once that starts I have to close DP and restart. If it doesn't crash first. The most repeatable way to do this is by switching between the sequence mixing board and a V-Rack mixing board, which I do all the time when mixing. And my V-Rack has all my VIs, plus several reverbs and delays as Aux tracks - so there's quite a lot in it.

I know I should go back to taking out Components one at a time, to try and see if there's on or two causing it, but I just haven't had time, plus I have jobs that I'm working on that have them all in, hence I need them...

Onwards and sideways...
Macbook Pro, DP11.1
waxman

Post by waxman »

Instead of restarting re-initialize the hardware and see if that helps...
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
Eleventh Hour Sound

Once I rooted out the inserts that had T-Racks 1.22 and changed them to 1.3 that helped reduce crashing. Interestingly (or not) inserts of the new Avox components (Duo, Throat, Warm, etc) that seemed to be ok on PPC were crashing (on open) on my Intel machine. I disabled them, opened the file, cleared missing FX, and then re-added them and it was ok. Go Figure :)
waxman

Post by waxman »

Yeah at least it is getting easier to replace corrupted inserts and get back on track... I imagine one or two more updates and it will be solid. There are a lot of factors. OSX versions. PPC and Intel. New plugs getting updated. Maybe this slow down it the economy will help these manufacturers to make there stuff better instead of more new products.

I listened to a conference call with Steve Jobs yesterday and he said that Apple would be "tossed around by the waves of the economy a bit" However they had $25 billion in cash and were going to spend some of it on R&D since fighting the stock market is not happening right now... hopefully some of the other manufacturers that that approach...

Make what you got Rock Solid on DP... My name is Waxman and I approve of this message!
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.