DP11 is here!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP11 is here!

Post by mikehalloran »

mhschmieder wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:58 pm No problems so far, and the list view fonts are a relief for these tired old eyes.
Yes!
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
smashprod

Post by smashprod »

Has anyone tried MetaGrid with DP11 yet? I gather I'm not going to find anything like Avid Control for DP, but a bunch of buttons, like MetaGrid, would work for me. Would like to know if it works with the new version though before buying it.
joeleach

Post by joeleach »

I have been using DP since v3 and I'm delighted to say that MOTU DP11 on the entry level M1 Mac mini running Big Sur is by far the biggest leap forward of any update I have experienced. The speed, smoothness and power of this thing is extraordinary! I mix a fair bit of live sound using FabFilter plugs, and the shortest buffer I could reliably run one complex act on was 256 (2015 Quad-core i7 and DP10). I would have been happy if the new rig gave me 128. However, it runs reliably at 32!! This was whilst freely loading up graphic intensive EQ's, that if previously left open would make the GUI stutter. I was taking a laptop cooler to gigs to prevent the thing shuttling down, and constantly monitoring heat. M1 however is super smooth somehow runs cool the whole time with no fan noise and really quick graphics. Best of all, my 2013 Orion32 interface works with it no problems. So for anyone else wanting to know, Antelope Orion 32 plus M1 Mac mini works perfectly and was an easy upgrade. Thumbs up MOTU and Apple, an amazing result! :D :D :D
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

James Steele wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:58 pm David Das just posted a video going over the Articulation Maps feature of DP11. Topic in the Tutorial Videos section:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=68963
This is a great walk through! Someone earlier posted before even trying it that it should have the ability to nudge the articulation earlier, because with other methods like Logics you can get it skipping an articulation change, but so far with BBC Orchestra (what I've got access to in CA here) it's dead accurate.

I really think the way they implemented it is much easier to use than Logic or that DAW we don't mention here. It's so much more straightforward.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

joeleach wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:48 am I have been using DP since v3 and I'm delighted to say that MOTU DP11 on the entry level M1 Mac mini running Big Sur is by far the biggest leap forward of any update I have experienced. The speed, smoothness and power of this thing is extraordinary! I mix a fair bit of live sound using FabFilter plugs, and the shortest buffer I could reliably run one complex act on was 256 (2015 Quad-core i7 and DP10). I would have been happy if the new rig gave me 128. However, it runs reliably at 32!! This was whilst freely loading up graphic intensive EQ's, that if previously left open would make the GUI stutter. I was taking a laptop cooler to gigs to prevent the thing shuttling down, and constantly monitoring heat. M1 however is super smooth somehow runs cool the whole time with no fan noise and really quick graphics. Best of all, my 2013 Orion32 interface works with it no problems. So for anyone else wanting to know, Antelope Orion 32 plus M1 Mac mini works perfectly and was an easy upgrade. Thumbs up MOTU and Apple, an amazing result! :D :D :D
You have me thinking it will soon be time to move to Apple Silicon in the studio. Thanks for the report!
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 14.5 • DP 11.32
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

HCMarkus wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:34 amYou have me thinking it will soon be time to move to Apple Silicon in the studio. Thanks for the report!
I've been thinking that for a while. I'd like to get a mini, but I'm holding out for the next model hoping it will have more ports. Maybe I shouldn't hold my breath.

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
DP 11.32, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.5/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Phil O wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:58 am
HCMarkus wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:34 amYou have me thinking it will soon be time to move to Apple Silicon in the studio. Thanks for the report!
I've been thinking that for a while. I'd like to get a mini, but I'm holding out for the next model hoping it will have more ports. Maybe I shouldn't hold my breath.

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
That's pretty much where I am Phil. Ye Olde 12 Core is still working well, and there are still a lot of unanswered plugin questions. So, for me, breath holding will likely continue for at least a little while longer.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Likewise for me. Nothing wrong with my hardware setup for the next couple years most likely. Although the AS GPUs are blowing away what I have, as I transition back into live music making, I expect to be doing far less video. If the replacement for the 27" iMac comes out with 8TB storage onboard, I might jump over while my 18 core still has value. I can wait—we'll see…
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Don't kid yourself, Brother Sir Markus, you know we both want the AS desktop the second it drops... :lol:

My whole life's on-hold for this one. :oops:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

monkey man wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:12 pm Don't kid yourself, Brother Sir Markus, you know we both want the AS desktop the second it drops... :lol:

My whole life's on-hold for this one. :oops:
:lol: I'm trying hard not to do that! I'm waiting for the rumored 16" MacBook Pro. I'm probably going to spend almost as much as you guys will on the desktop when it comes.

I'm pretty certain the desktop Mac Pro and the iMac Pro will not come out until around Xmas or even 2022. The SOP here seems to be to develop one chip and use it in 2-5 devices, we're seeing the exact same M1 (barring GPU differences of one core, which is obviously die cast based, and not throwing away perfectly good chips that have one minor issue), being used in the Air, 13" Macbook Pro, entry Mac Mini, iPad Pro and iMac. I'm guessing we'll see the M1x or M2 etc. used in the 16MBP, maybe a 14", the iMac Pro, and maybe the Mac Mini "pro or server".

I think the chip for the Mac Pro and iMac super Pro will be the last in line. That way a year later we might see that same chip in the regular iMac etc. Hard to say, this is the one snag in their new operating model, the biggest chip has the smallest demand. It's possible we see 2 x "M2 or M1X" core arrangements for the higher end to cut down on cost and because any lag between the two physical chip would hardly be noticeable in the types of applications that need that much power.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
artfarm1

Post by artfarm1 »

HCMarkus wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:02 am
Phil O wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:58 am
...... and there are still a lot of unanswered plugin questions. So, for me, breath holding will likely continue for at least a little while longer.
FYI plugins from these companies are working fine with High Sierra running DP11:

- Waves (ver. 10/11 plugins); VEP7, iZotope, SoundToys, Nomad, Kontakt, Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, uHe, TAL, Toontrack, Sonarworks, others
DP 11, OS Ventura
MacMini 2023 M2Pro, 16 gig RAM, MOTU M6, SSD drives for everything, various sound/sampled libraries from all major vendors, Logic Pro X, DSP-Quattro
MacBook Pro 2015, OSX Monterey, 2.5ghz, 16 gig RAM (w/duplicate software as in MacMini setup)
Trombones: King 2B SilverSonic, King 2B Liberty, & Conn 88H w/Doug Elliott mouthpieces!
http://www.cammillarmusic.com
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

artfarm1 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:38 pm
HCMarkus wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:02 am ...... and there are still a lot of unanswered plugin questions. So, for me, breath holding will likely continue for at least a little while longer.
FYI plugins from these companies are working fine with High Sierra running DP11:

- Waves (ver. 10/11 plugins); VEP7, iZotope, SoundToys, Nomad, Kontakt, Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, uHe, TAL, Toontrack, Sonarworks, others
But many of these plugins are not running native; I know that doesn't mean they are not useable (I'm running NI and Arturia stuff on my M1 MacBook Air under MainStage for live work), but I'm not in a hurry. As The Great Simian suggests, methinks the next-gen Apple Silicon will be where my studio lands.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

This is a long shot, but I'll ask anyway, since I know several people felt the same way I did when the Loop function was removed. Have they brought that back by any chance? It's code they already have and several of us old timers wrote to them about our displeasure at its removal. This has been discussed ad nauseum as to the workarounds, etc - no need to argue all that again, I'm just asking if they brought it back. It would do zero harm to have that in the pgm regardless of the clip feature.

I usually skip every other version as
1. I think these upgrades are overpriced
2. they have never done anything I've requested in decades, not even once

Just my opinion, I'm not trying to start arguments.

Peace out,
the other Phil
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
smashprod

Post by smashprod »

Is anyone making articulation sets that can be used with DP 11 (a la Babylon Waves)?
BobK

Post by BobK »

smashprod wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:10 am Is anyone making articulation sets that can be used with DP 11 (a la Babylon Waves)?
Over at VI-Control, Babylon Waves posted a screen grab that suggests that they’re working on it. They have a great head start because DP can import Cubase articulation maps. Kudos to MOTU for that!

https://vi-control.net/community/thread ... 728/page-3
Bob

M1 Max Mac Studio - 64 GB RAM - macOS 14.5
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - 16 GB RAM - macOS 14.4 via Open Core Legacy Patcher
DP 11.23
Metric Halo ULN-8 mk4