Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Quicktime 7.1.3 is out...

Post by cuttime »

Yays? Nays? Flash issues?
828x MacOS 14.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.32
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

I put it on my laptop, and so far so good. I was reluctant to do the update at first, but I installed something recently (can't remember) that required a later version of QT than what I had.

Clever little GUI updates-- probably the most significant visual and functional updates since it was released.

Silly, but I'm going to miss the green notes on the alias icon. The notes have been changed to blue, and it takes me longer to spot it because my eye passes over it at first.

I do want to get this on my tower to try it out with a documentary I've been scoring in DP 5.1. Certainly, BTD will have to be checked as well as LAME exporting. I've found nothing yet about QT 7.1.2 and LAME bumping heads, but ya never know.... For now, all seems to be working well with it and 5.1 on my laptop.
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52
Spikey Horse
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Spikey Horse »

I just updated and my (spiffy new look) iTunes has just started doing a little management thing called 'performing gapless playback information'

I think this means no more gaps when playing back music ie orchestral/operatic etc that is continuous but with track markers for different sections.

If that is the case then I say 'Hurrah!' :o

(and also 'what took you so long!?')
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

I think this means no more gaps when playing back music ie orchestral/operatic etc that is continuous but with track markers for different sections.
Yes, this is exactly what it means, and it may be time for me to update Itunes for the first time in a good long while. Yay!
828x MacOS 14.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.32
midiw

Post by midiw »

Spikey Horse wrote:I just updated and my (spiffy new look) iTunes has just started doing a little management thing called 'performing gapless playback information'

Is that a "users" choice feature or does it do that gapless thing the first and each time you launch iTunes ?

Not exactly sure I really need that feature although if it was by users choice to make a specific playlist gapless then OK.
Mac OS: Mojave
Resonant Alien
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Resonant Alien »

Gapless playback is only supported on 5th gen iPods, so if you have a 4th gen like me, you SOL....
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

midiw wrote:
Spikey Horse wrote:I just updated and my (spiffy new look) iTunes has just started doing a little management thing called 'performing gapless playback information'

Is that a "users" choice feature or does it do that gapless thing the first and each time you launch iTunes ?

Not exactly sure I really need that feature although if it was by users choice to make a specific playlist gapless then OK.
It could be useful if one listens to tracks which are musically connected but also contain indexing in the middle of the track. This could be some longer form classical recording, several connected movements from a film score, or a later Beatles or Yes collection.

Earth, Wind, and Fire is a group known for its tendency to overlap interludes with crossfades between their tracks. Sometimes it's nice not to have to hear that hiccup if you don't want to.

Res. Alien-- only supported on 5th gen iPods? No firmware update would allow for this on earlier models? That would be sad, and would presuppose that people with earlier, more expensive models would simply keep buying new iPods. Kind of a shame.
midiw

Post by midiw »

Frodo,

Thanks for the feedback.

It's always helpful to hear/read a different point of view/idea. As usual I leaned something from your input.
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

midiw wrote:Frodo,

Thanks for the feedback.

It's always helpful to hear/read a different point of view/idea. As usual I leaned something from your input.
midiw: you're too kind!

I've often had to resort to using Toast when burning CDs for this very reason. I couldn't get around the 0-second 'blip' on playlists in iTunes. 0 seconds hasn't been absolute 0.

But iTunes is turning into quite little app-- so much more than it has been before. I never thought I'd use it as much as I do. I know Toast and Jam are better equipped in many ways for some disc authoring, but keeping it up to date is not always free, and iTunes has really come in handy in unexpected ways-- especially when I'm away from home on my PowerBook.

But if Res Ailen's post about the compatibility limitation is true, then I'm among the many SOL iPodders. No way I'm going to run out and buy a new one so soon-- only to have it outdated this time next year.

The thing that really stinks is that there are so many of us who paid top dollar for our iPods. I never really had any intention of getting a video iPod, but to think that my version is suddenly semi-dysfunctional without any recourse sort of bothers me.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Any more reports about QT stability? I'm still gunshy about installing new revs of QT, as Apple's record for putting out crap Quicktime releases is getting tiresome.

I'm still on 7.0.4, and having no problems.

Why upgrade? Does it do anything new or support any must-have codecs?
recording: Mac Mini 2018 - 32GB RAM - 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 - two Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 - OS 12.7.5 - DP 11.23
mixing: MacPro7,1 - 256GB RAM - 2.7 GHz 24-Core Intel Xeon W - Focusrite Scarlett Solo - OS 13.6.7 - DP 11.23
Both computers: Kontakt Komplete 13 VIs and effects. Effects: FabFilter, Sonnox, SSL, PSP, UA, Valhalla, Baby, AIXDSP, Relab, Sonible. VIs: KV331, Cherry, Arturia, AIR Tech, GForce, AAS, East-West, Garritan, Best Service, Kilohearts, Brainworx, UA, Plug-In Alliance
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Jim wrote:Why upgrade? Does it do anything new or support any must-have codecs?
I had to upgrade QT in order to use iTunes 7. I've only done this on my PB so far, but I've not encountered any problems with bouncing to mp3 from DP as of yet. Neither have I upgraded yet on my workhorse tower setup to monitor any quirks on my PB first. So far, so good.

I would say that if you don't actually *need* the update, then you probably shouldn't worry too much about it. It may be a while before I dink with my tower until something absolutely requires an update.

There's something to be said about having a stable system.

There have been some reports of QT 7.1.3 disabling its own Flash Support.....

http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/2006 ... sable.html