G5 Power Mac Fuzzed Out

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

MT
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

G5 Power Mac Fuzzed Out

Post by MT »

Hey, all. I was working on a project (4.61, Tiger) and suddenly the sound dropped out completely and the screen froze. So, I took a breath and powered the G5 down by holding in on the power button. I waited a few seconds, started it back up, heard the initial chime, then heard a fairly horrendous sound coming from the G5 somewhere, and that was it. It doesn't even initialize the monitor or get past even a few seconds of spinning the hard drive.

The keyboard also doesn't work, I suspect, because I cannot get the eject key to eject the CD drive, and the USB ports on it are dead (not dead on the G5). Getting ready to make a trip to Frys to pick up a new keyboard and possibly a video card for starters. I imagine it could be the mainboard - who knows at this point?

I know it could be one of 50 things, but anyone out there had the same issue?

Thanks.

Edit: G5 1.8 Dual, June 2004
G5 Dual 1.8 | LynxTWO A,B,LS-ADAT | 2-Bus LT | UAD-1 | DP 4.6, 10.4.5 | DFHS VC | Reason 3 | Site | 50/50 Films
"Blade... Laser... Blazer"
MT

Post by MT »

Well, it turned out to be a 1 GB pair of Kingston Value RAM. I guess I learned my lesson there! Certainly a relief though.
G5 Dual 1.8 | LynxTWO A,B,LS-ADAT | 2-Bus LT | UAD-1 | DP 4.6, 10.4.5 | DFHS VC | Reason 3 | Site | 50/50 Films
"Blade... Laser... Blazer"
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

Hey! You've got a Fry's in Dallas! Brilliant place... I spent an entire week in there one day.

Glad you got to the root of the problem. Yep. Good RAM is "crucial".

(pun intended?)
6,1 MacPro, 96GB RAM, macOS Monterey 12.7, macOS 10.14, DP9.52