DP 5

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
kwiz
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP 5

Post by kwiz »

According to the press release on Motu's site, DP5 is going to be released in the first quarter of this year.
The end of this years first quarter is coming to a close and still no DP5.
Will Motu make the deadline?
Based on past updates I say no. Maybe more like April 15th, and that's when they'll just start to take orders.....
Come on Motu proof me wrong :wink:
Great family and friends!

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.
Native Instruments Komplete 14 Ultimate, Console 1 MKIII w/C1 Fader

"Without struggle, there is no progress"

F. Douglas
Shooshie

Post by Shooshie »

Not to belabor what we've already hashed out endlessly, but MOTU's a small company. They'll get it to us when it's ready, and until then they'll keep quiet about it, because they'd rather send it back to the programmers than release it before it's ready. And when it's ready, they won't wait a day longer than it takes to get it out and on the shelves, because, like us, they have to pay their bills.

Take a number and wait... unless you're running a betting pool, in which case, good luck!

Shooshie
|l| OS X 10.12.6 |l| DP 10.0 |l| 2.4 GHz 12-Core MacPro Mid-2012 |l| 40GB RAM |l| Mach5.3 |l| Waves 9.x |l| Altiverb |l| Ivory 2 New York Steinway |l| Wallander WIVI 2.30 Winds, Brass, Saxes |l| Garritan Aria |l| VSL 5.3.1 and VSL Pro 2.3.1 |l| Yamaha WX-5 MIDI Wind Controller |l| Roland FC-300 |l|
kwiz

Post by kwiz »

Shooshie wrote:Not to belabor what we've already hashed out endlessly, but MOTU's a small company. They'll get it to us when it's ready, and until then they'll keep quiet about it, because they'd rather send it back to the programmers than release it before it's ready. And when it's ready, they won't wait a day longer than it takes to get it out and on the shelves, because, like us, they have to pay their bills.

Take a number and wait... unless you're running a betting pool, in which case, good luck!

Shooshie
Shooshie,

I realize Motu's a small company. I've been using DP since 2k (not as long as you of course) and I've been reading and posting on this site for quite some time, and know that this topic has been covered ad nauseum. My post is just a friendly nudge in Motu's ribs hence the :wink: at the end of my post.

Mac Studio M2 Max, MacPro 8 core (trashcan), MacBook Pro 16 in 2023, OSX Ventura, DP 11, Pro Tools, Logic Pro X, Motu 112D, 24Ao, 8M, 896 MKIII, UA Apollo 16, Waves Horizon, Slate Everything Bundle, Plugin Alliance Bundle, UAD-2 Satellite DSP Accelerator, UAD Apollo Twin.

F. Douglas
funkyfreddy

Post by funkyfreddy »

Personally I would rather they take their time and do it right as opposed to rushing it out...... I prefer not to be an unpaid beta tester!
kwiz

Post by kwiz »

funkyfreddy wrote:Personally I would rather they take their time and do it right as opposed to rushing it out...... I prefer not to be an unpaid beta tester!
I agree but unfortunately due to the nature of software/hardware compatibility/OS versions, we're all beta testers regardless of how perfect the first release is. Hence DP4.5-4.6.1.

F. Douglas
pcm

Post by pcm »

kwiz wrote:
funkyfreddy wrote:Personally I would rather they take their time and do it right as opposed to rushing it out...... I prefer not to be an unpaid beta tester!
I agree but unfortunately due to the nature of software/hardware compatibility/OS versions, we're all beta testers regardless of how perfect the first release is. Hence DP4.5-4.6.1.
Prior experience tells me to always add a .11 or .12 to any DP release until the true comfort zone (relatively speaking of course) is reached.

5.12 - ?
kwiz

Post by kwiz »

I agree.

F. Douglas
williemyers

Post by williemyers »

I think much of the (well-founded) criticism of MOTU comes not from the fact that they're slow to release, but rather, they're quick to hype...then slow to release.
Obvious example is that they showed a fully functioning Mach Five II at NAMM in Jan. of '05 and here we sit in Mar. of '06 (15 months later) waiting to get a look at it. And if you're an old MOTU user like me (and I'm assuming you are) you can count tons of times we've seen fully flushed out ads on the back covers of MIX, EM, etc. for products that we didn't see for months and months. I
don't think the "old" (pre-2k) MOTU was so bad at this, but it seems that ever since the millenium, they've earned an unfortunately well-deserved rep for "quick to hype...slow to deliver". Yes, I too don't want a buggy release or to be their beta tester - - although I did it for them in the late '80's...it was fun! I just wish they'd get their press-release dates a little closer to their shipping dates.
DP 9.52(OS 10.13.6), PTools 11.3.3, Sibelius 2021.12,
MacPro 5,1 mid-2010, 2 x 2.93Ghz 12 core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 64 Gig RAM, 4 x >120G SSDs, 2 x 25" LCDs
couple o' hardware synths, loadza legal libraries
Kurz Midiboard, MOTU MTP AV

https://vimeo.com/71580152

"I always wanted to be a composer - and I am..."
"I never wanted to be a recording engineer - and I'm not..."

~me
Saintmatthew

Post by Saintmatthew »

Prior experience tells me to always add a .11 or .12 to any DP release until the true comfort zone (relatively speaking of course) is reached.

5.12 - ?
I place my bets on 5.13
Kazrog

Post by Kazrog »

I saw the beta of DP5 at NAMM and it looks to be very far along. Also, it will support Intel macs, so I'm very excited about this release! We all want it soon, but we also want stability. I think MOTU learned their lesson with DP 4.0, let's hope 5.0 is a more stable release and that we won't need a bunch of emergency patches. I'm more than willing to wait for that stability.

Track Folders are going to rule! :twisted:
Last edited by Kazrog on Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shane McFee
Recabinet | Kazrog LLC
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Any word direct monitor no latency switching will be provided for the main mixer in 5?
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Kazrog wrote:Also, it will support Intel macs, so I'm very excited about this release!
Are you sure about this? I seem to recall at NAMM that they claimed the first release was Power PC to be followed later by Universal Binary.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
motuhelper
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by motuhelper »

Intel version release is scheduled for Q2.