Reason w DP... Still needed?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
mattfort
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Reason w DP... Still needed?

Post by mattfort »

I was wondering if the purpose of beat detection was to eliminate the need for Reason.

thoughts?
2.66 Mac Pro, 10.6.5, 16 G RAM, DP 7.22, 6 SATA internal drives (2 RAIDS & 2 singles), Ozone 4, 2 UAD 2 Quad card with most of the plugs, Waves Diamond(V7), V- Series (V6) & SSL4000(V7), PLAY 1.25, EMI TG12413, URS CSPro, Autotune Evo, Scarbee KGB, EWQLSO Platinum Pro XP, Drumagog, BFD2, NI Komplete 7, Breverb, Ivory w/ Italian Grand, USB Plugsound Pro & Synths Anth, Ampeg SVX, Amplitube3 (And Fender), Altiverb, Melodyne, MOTU 24 I/O with Black Lion Mod.
thracks
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by thracks »

Reason is a virtual synth/studio program. How would beat detection replace this :?
Steve

2020 Mac Mini | Ventura | 828x |
MT

Post by MT »

I don't see how to two are related? Please elaborate.
G5 Dual 1.8 | LynxTWO A,B,LS-ADAT | 2-Bus LT | UAD-1 | DP 4.6, 10.4.5 | DFHS VC | Reason 3 | Site | 50/50 Films
"Blade... Laser... Blazer"
funkyfreddy

Post by funkyfreddy »

I think he's confusing Reason with Recycle as the 2 pgms are made by the same company.

In my hunble opinion Recycle is a lot easier to use than DP's beat detection, although I should have another go at it again soon. I posted a thread a month ago about the problems I was having using BD with real, live, multitracked drums......
mattfort

Post by mattfort »

I think he's confusing Reason with Recycle as the 2 pgms are made by the same company.

YES I AM! Sorry!

(Duh)

basically I was looking at the drum loops / tempo change that can be done on the fly with Rex files. Do we need Recycle to make the Rex files?
2.66 Mac Pro, 10.6.5, 16 G RAM, DP 7.22, 6 SATA internal drives (2 RAIDS & 2 singles), Ozone 4, 2 UAD 2 Quad card with most of the plugs, Waves Diamond(V7), V- Series (V6) & SSL4000(V7), PLAY 1.25, EMI TG12413, URS CSPro, Autotune Evo, Scarbee KGB, EWQLSO Platinum Pro XP, Drumagog, BFD2, NI Komplete 7, Breverb, Ivory w/ Italian Grand, USB Plugsound Pro & Synths Anth, Ampeg SVX, Amplitube3 (And Fender), Altiverb, Melodyne, MOTU 24 I/O with Black Lion Mod.
funkyfreddy

Post by funkyfreddy »

I don't think DP can make rex files, can it? I know you can use it to slice audio and do things similar to rex files, but I don't think you can make actual rex files with it.

So, yes, I think you still need recycle to create Rex files.
mattfort

Post by mattfort »

And what makes Rex files so great? Seriously.

Sorry about not knowing ANYTHING about this...

thanks in advance
groove

Post by groove »

REX file format is a closed proprietary format. Only Propellerheads Recycle can create REX files. However, lots of audio app can read REX files.
Beside having tempo and slices information with the embeded and extractable MIDI info of the slices, the audio is compressed with a non-lossy algorythm to around 40%.
---------
iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Xeon E5, 64GB ram OS X 10.15.7, UA Apollo 8 Quad + Satellite Quad, UA 2192, Waves V12, LASS Full, VSL, Korg MS-20, Elektron A4, Moog SlimPhatty, NI Komplete13, ROLI, Soundtoys 5, Arturia V Collection, GForce Oddity, Serum.
chrispick

Post by chrispick »

mattfort wrote:And what makes Rex files so great? Seriously.

thanks in advance
REX files are audio loops which are segmented so that tempo expansion and compression can be performed with minimal aural degradation. More simply put, REX file are loops you can tempo-stretch.
chamelion

Post by chamelion »

mattfort wrote:And what makes Rex files so great? Seriously.
thanks in advance
http://www.computermusic.co.uk/tutorial/rex/rexmain.asp

This should help.

Cheers,

Geoff
"Don't worry,
be hoppy!"
lwilliam

Post by lwilliam »

I've had Recycle since version 1.0. It's great for taking loops in wav or standard aiff format, making rex files out of them, and then using them in DP - then they adjust to the tempo of the song (within limits). Maybe because I've used it for a long time, but it seems so much quicker than Beat Detective.

You can do similar things with ACID files (if you have a PC and ACID) and Ableton's Live can do similar things with loops. They're all separate formats though.
G5/DP 2.5Ghz/2.5GB Ram; OS 10.4.8; DP 4.61; PTLE 7.3; LogicPro 7.2.3; 002R/RME; Waves Platinum; Lots of other plugins...