Audio Quantizing and the unwanted "Underwater Effect"

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Audio Quantizing and the unwanted "Underwater Effect"

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Hi!

Despite years of using Performer and then DP, and being very, very familiar with it (or at least the stuff I use), I've never really used any time-stretching or pitch-tuning ever.

The guys I hire all play in tune and in time, so it's never ben an issue.

I have one two bar section of finger-picked guitar today that is a little unfortunate in terms of time.

It's a 16th note fingerpicked ostinato.

I watched a couple of videos on quantizing audio in DP, and then tried it different ways, but the audio comes out garbled with an "underwater" kind of sound.

Any tips on this?

Also the Waveform Editor, which is something I've never really used either, going into it and out of it seems to make DP "reload" everything or something similar?

Opening and closing the Waveform Editor, I get about 20 or more seconds of spinning-beach-ball every time.

It's kind of like when you switch buffer size and DP reloads all of your VI's?

Thanks!
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.31, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro, Tanqueray or Bombay Sapphire.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Audio Quantizing and the unwanted "Underwater Effect"

Post by mikehalloran »

How accurate is your signature?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Hey it took me a minute!

Signature as in the specs of my computer and stuff?

All still the same, except for DP 11.-whatever the latest is currently.

Thanks!
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.31, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro, Tanqueray or Bombay Sapphire.
dwilliams
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by dwilliams »

I've also not gotten great results with quantizing audio. Maybe I'm not doing it right. But if it is two bars, I would just cut it up and use drag and slip to get the the beats on the grid.
Krakadon
aka Dave Williams
Rock, metal, Camas, WA

* 15" Mid-2019 MBP 2.4 GHz 8-core i9, 32GB RAM, Ventura 13.6.5. TB: UA Apollo QuadFW w/TB card, Satellite OctoTB2 & OctoTB3, PreSonus Quantum 4848 TB2; USB 2.0: Ext USB3 drives, Fractal Audio Axe-Fx III , Revv Generator 120 MK3; USB 3.0: Stream Deck XL, M Audio Oxygen 49, Akai MPD218, Console One Mk3, SSL UC1, X-Touch U; HDMI: 34" 16:9 & 32" 2K Monitors
* DP 11.31
JSmith1234567

Post by JSmith1234567 »

I swear I did it successfully once years ago, but I didn't write down how, and now I can't seem to do it anymore?

I did notice that there are different playback setting vs ("rendering"?) settings, and I tried that and maybe my Mac Pro is just bogged down?

But then again what would that mean? Mixing at a higher buffer will work?

I kind of ran out of time to mess around with it anymore.