Logic Pro 11 coming May 13

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Logic Pro 11 coming May 13

Post by James Steele »

Well... another shot across the bow. More AI features... intelligent accompaniment stuff. I don't really think it's worth it for DP to try to go toe-to-toe on this stuff, but Apple really made it tough on third party developers when they released a DAW for $199 that essentially seems to give you free upgrades for life.

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2024/05/ ... -features/
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 RC1, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Re: Logic Pro 11 coming May 13

Post by mikehalloran »

James Steele wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 12:04 pm Well... another shot across the bow. More AI features... intelligent accompaniment stuff. I don't really think it's worth it for DP to try to go toe-to-toe on this stuff, but Apple really made it tough on third party developers when they released a DAW for $199 that essentially seems to give you free upgrades for life.

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2024/05/ ... -features/
You buried the lede:
Pricing and Availability
Logic Pro for Mac 11 is available on May 13 as a free update for existing users and for $199.99 (U.S.) for new users on the Mac App Store. Logic Pro for Mac 11 requires macOS Ventura 13.5 or later. For more information, visit apple.com/logic-pro.

Logic Pro for iPad 2 is available on May 13 as a free update for existing users, and available on the App Store for $4.99 (U.S.) per month or $49 (U.S.) per year, with a one-month free trial for new users. Logic Pro for iPad 2 requires iPadOS 17.4 or later. For more information, visit apple.com/logic-pro-for-ipad.
Since the iPadOS version is Subscription only, that upgrade being no extra cost is not a surprise but that LPx users will get the free upgrade is. I will assume that FinalCut Pro 2 pricing will be the same since it was demo'd this morning, too.

I watched the iPad launch this morning and, though impressive, I thought it was nuts to expect anyone to do all of that on a 13" screen. Yes, the M1/2/4 iPads support an external display but that was not what Apple was showing us this morning.

Everyone is offering AI goodies in their upcoming upgrades. I may have predicted that DP 12 will have to include an AI component in a thread where many were speculating that it was coming soon—ok, I did say something like that and am convinced that MOTU will have to offer something along those lines. Although Apple was making a big deal about including an AI splitter, I have 4 apps that have had this for years.

We'll see…
Last edited by mikehalloran on Wed May 08, 2024 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

One thing that I noticed Logic 11 is including is stem splitting. This sounds like being able to take a stereo recording and analyze the audio and separate it into separate instruments (with varying degrees of success, I'm sure). Still, Apple keeps throwing in goodies like this. It always bothered me when Apple ended up "going into competition" with third-party DAW developers.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 RC1, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Stem splitting is a cool idea, but personally there's only a few that will do it for guitar, and that's currently what I need. The funniest part in a Schadenfreude way is iZotope only really had ARA support for Logic, it's currently only working in Rosetta on Apple Silicon, but then they announce a direct competition to RX's Music Rebalance built right into Logic.

Best use of AI is to me Ableton puttting it into a search engine for Live. I do think Logics drummer is pretty cool, but I kind of doubt any keyboard accompaniment is going to sound great or be useful at all.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
nk_e

Post by nk_e »

They are also bringing back the chord track. Hopefully it is a robust implementation like that in Cubase or StudioOne.

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

It's worth noting that the Apple Pro Apps for Education Bundle is still available for $199.99.

https://www.apple.com/us-edu/shop/produ ... -education

This includes Logic, FinalCut, MainStage, Compressor and Motion. When purchased, you are emailed five codes that you enter into a field in the App Store—this registers the app and begins the download.

Not available for purchase in most countries outside the US but the codes are portable. Anybody with one can register and there's no correlation between it and the email address that purchased. I had already bought MainStage and Apple Support encouraged me to email the spare code to someone who could use it. Frankly, I wasn't that interested in Logic but couldn't resist the opportunity to save $100 on FCPx—and if I got LPx in the deal, who was I to argue?

In a way, that strategy worked on me. I was having problems with rendering a file in FCPx and called Apple Support (yes, these apps have phone support). After a screen sharing session, I learned that a) FCPx was working fine and b) my 2010 iMac would take 3–5 days to render that file. Oh... I bought my first 14 core iMac Pro a few months later and it changed my life—and rendering the file again took 20 minutes (15min on my later 18 core and 4min on my current M2 Studio).

Early last year, Apple Marketing tried to limit this only to registered Education customers. Tim Cook overruled that, understanding that inexpensive apps sell the Macs that can run them. Around that time, the California Supreme Court ruled that some aspects of Apple's EDU Store violated certain Consumer privacy and retail sales laws (I'll spare you the details other than I was working behind a counter in 1985 when they took effect).
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

mikehalloran wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 7:42 am ...my 2010 iMac would take 3–5 days to render that file. Oh... I bought my first 14 core iMac Pro a few months later and it changed my life—and rendering the file again took 20 minutes (15min on my later 18 core and 4min on my current M2 Studio).
Love that M2 time!
mikehalloran wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 7:42 am It's worth noting that the Apple Pro Apps for Education Bundle is still available for $199.99.

https://www.apple.com/us-edu/shop/produ ... -education

Early last year, Apple Marketing tried to limit this only to registered Education customers. Tim Cook overruled that, understanding that inexpensive apps sell the Macs that can run them. Around that time, the California Supreme Court ruled that some aspects of Apple's EDU Store violated certain Consumer privacy and retail sales laws (I'll spare you the details other than I was working behind a counter in 1985 when they took effect).
In other words, open season at the Edu Store in California, and Macs are little more than expensive dongles.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

:deadhorse: