Issues with DP after moving to Ventura

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
dix
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Issues with DP after moving to Ventura

Post by dix »

After several calls and at least an hour on the phone with Apple Support (OS reinstall, repair utility etc). I'm still getting the slow launches. For the moment anyway, whatever they did fixed the slow AU Loading, but VST and VST3 loading remains slow. The only additional ideas they had were to try removing and reinstalling all my VST and VST3s. I've updated virtually all of them, to the latest version, in the last few days, but Apple Support seemed to think removing and reinstalling might work. Or to try updating to Sonoma. ...for a variety of reasons updating to 14.0 seems premature. DP isn't fully authorized yet
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
dix

Post by dix »

I've learned to live with the slow DP launches that started when I updated to Ventura (the 11.23 DP update didn't help btw), but the other issue that began when I updated is impeding my workflow.

Since updating to Ventura I lose the smart tools graphics intermittently while working. The tool behavior is there, but the tool doesn’t show. I only see a pointer. No Edge Edit graphic, little finger etc. Restarting DP fixes it, but it's occurring fairly often.

Any ideas on how to fix this? MOTU support is 0 for 4 with my recent DP issues - usually with them just dropping the ball and never following up - so I'm not sure I want to bother trying them.

Thanks!
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

mikehalloran wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:18 pm Except for MAS, audio plug-ins install on the System drive in Library/Audio

It’s the plug-in Cache files that are stored in the Users Library. Until a few days ago, I’d quite forgotten that. Deleting those causes DP to rebuild them. (Same as deleting Preferences). My 64 bit cache files dated back to 2012. I had 32 bit caches and Audio Desk caches going back to before 2000. Way, way past time for a clean out and it made a big difference on my machine.

Before I did this, I was seriously considering switching to Logic just to get my work done. Not anymore.
He's attempting to explain that you left out a location in your description.
It's:
Users/(account name)/Library/Preferences/com.motu.MotuAudioSystem/Audio Unit Info Cache 64-bit etc.

You typed /Users/(account name)/Library/com.motu.MotuAudioSystem/Audio Unit Info Cache 64-bit

Sorry not trying to be a pedant, just making it clear for those that might not have understood what was being talked about there..
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Michael Canavan wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:13 pmSorry not trying to be a pedant, just making it clear for those that might not have understood what was being talked about there..
Clarity is really good there! I know I sometimes forget where those files are as I know they've changed locations over recent years and newer OSes.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Michael Canavan

dix wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:43 pm After several calls and at least an hour on the phone with Apple Support (OS reinstall, repair utility etc). I'm still getting the slow launches. For the moment anyway, whatever they did fixed the slow AU Loading, but VST and VST3 loading remains slow. The only additional ideas they had were to try removing and reinstalling all my VST and VST3s. I've updated virtually all of them, to the latest version, in the last few days, but Apple Support seemed to think removing and reinstalling might work. Or to try updating to Sonoma. ...for a variety of reasons updating to 14.0 seems premature. DP isn't fully authorized yet
Hey, there's another thread on here and in other forums about Komplete Kontrol and Kontakt having serious issues in various DAWs with their latest releases. Leave it up to NI to screw up the adage about keeping plugins up to date for stability right?

So NI have actually made the old installers available. I just quoted the post in the thread here for your convenience.
I would also delete the caches for the plugins like is mentioned here once again after instal. I did it a couple days after installing the older versions and weirdly enough it got rid of a stuttering time ruler in DP?
midilance wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:15 pm I put in a tech support request at NI. They replied with this:
Sebastian @ Native Instruments (Native Instruments)
Oct 23, 2023, 11:03 GMT+2

Hello,

Thanks for reaching out. I am sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with our products. We are curently investigate regarding this product.

Could you please downgrade Kontakt and Komplete Kontrol using these links:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vYrco- ... drive_link
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pwnb9K ... drive_link

I did this and then restarted my computer. I'm back to Kontakt 7.6.0 and things are working again.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Michael Canavan

On the lines of weird issues Opus running as a plugin in Komplete or running as an AU, VST 2 or 3 in DP and Live spikes the CPU if the plugin GUI is closed. Doesn't matter about the "Run open instances of this plugin in Real Time" setting in the plugin.
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by waterstrum »

Yikes!
I'm still waiting to jump to Apple Silicon.
My ancient Mac Pro still works.
Doing sessions every day.
Making money.

I thought the leap to AS would be a great thing, but it sounds like it isn't working well.
I'll hold out until I hear some positive results.
All is well
Michael Canavan

waterstrum wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:41 am Yikes!
I'm still waiting to jump to Apple Silicon.
My ancient Mac Pro still works.
Doing sessions every day.
Making money.

I thought the leap to AS would be a great thing, but it sounds like it isn't working well.
The computers are more than fine, Apple tweaked some things in Ventura and Sonoma, and Plug in developers are slow to catch up resulting in issues. NI got caught, no one should be shocked by that by now.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

waterstrum wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:41 am
It's working great for me. There are some growing pains but they are minor and are related to Apple not properly updating Support docs for Ventura. The only open issue I have with Apple is getting AppleCare properly credited to my account. This affects nothing I'm working on, of course.

I have two developer issues and both originated on my iMac Pro (meaning that they pre-dated the Studio).

The only Intel vs Apple Silicon problem that I experienced was that my external displays would not go to sleep when the Studio Display did if plugged into the USB-C ports. Plugging one into the HDMI port made it behave—this was the clue. My LG monitors were connected via DisplayPort to USB-C cables—this worked fine on my iMac Pro. Buying a pair of HDMI to USB-C cables was the solution.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083KX4F6K?th=1
Hopefully, when I reported the solution back to Apple, someone took notes as I'm not the only person who has reported this.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Michael Canavan wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:13 pm
mikehalloran wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:18 pm Except for MAS, audio plug-ins install on the System drive in Library/Audio

It’s the plug-in Cache files that are stored in the Users Library. Until a few days ago, I’d quite forgotten that. Deleting those causes DP to rebuild them. (Same as deleting Preferences). My 64 bit cache files dated back to 2012. I had 32 bit caches and Audio Desk caches going back to before 2000. Way, way past time for a clean out and it made a big difference on my machine.

Before I did this, I was seriously considering switching to Logic just to get my work done. Not anymore.
He's attempting to explain that you left out a location in your description.
It's:
Users/(account name)/Library/Preferences/com.motu.MotuAudioSystem/Audio Unit Info Cache 64-bit etc.

You typed /Users/(account name)/Library/com.motu.MotuAudioSystem/Audio Unit Info Cache 64-bit

Sorry not trying to be a pedant, just making it clear for those that might not have understood what was being talked about there..
You are correct. My apologies.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro