Record Beats: up to a half hour to render! User error? Something else? Any ideas?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
cjb
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Record Beats: up to a half hour to render! User error? Something else? Any ideas?

Post by cjb »

Hi. Relatively new to DP. I've been trying to use Record Beats reliably. Something must be wrong and I'm missing a key setting or something. It's just two tracks of audio I'm recording to - a bass and a vocal. 3 minutes. Simple enough I would have thought.

Unusual tempo fluctuations I expect; I know there can be spikes and inconsistencies. Which is the point of Adjust Beats afterward right? To refine those rough parts.

But DP is taking forever, absolutely forever to render the resulting tempo map. Around 20-30 minutes. And it's not a brand new machine but it's not ancient (2017 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 iMac with 64 GB RAM). I've removed all plugins anywhere. Still over 20 minutes to render the map.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Record Beats: up to a half hour to render! User error? Something else? Any ideas?

Post by labman »

One thing we discovered many moons ago, is that each time that happens, we will hit cmd period. (which usually cancels the task). IN this case, it finishes it. With no seeming ill affects.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
cjb

Re: Record Beats: up to a half hour to render! User error? Something else? Any ideas?

Post by cjb »

Thanks for the response labman. Appreciate it.

Unfortunately (for me at least) it does cancel the task and doesn't finish the tempo map.

I'm running DP 11.22 by the way if that should make any difference.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

cjb wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:59 pm Hi. Relatively new to DP. I've been trying to use Record Beats reliably. Something must be wrong and I'm missing a key setting or something. It's just two tracks of audio I'm recording to - a bass and a vocal. 3 minutes. Simple enough I would have thought.

Unusual tempo fluctuations I expect; I know there can be spikes and inconsistencies. Which is the point of Adjust Beats afterward right? To refine those rough parts.

But DP is taking forever, absolutely forever to render the resulting tempo map. Around 20-30 minutes. And it's not a brand new machine but it's not ancient (2017 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 iMac with 64 GB RAM). I've removed all plugins anywhere. Still over 20 minutes to render the map.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
Ok, that ain't right but I don't have enough info to know where to begin.

You certainly have enough RAM. Rendering is a write to disk task so let's look at that:

2017 iMac — should be a mid 2017 27" if 4.2GHz — correct? What MacOS?

Are you writing to internal or external storage? If internal, Hybrid drive or SSD, how big and and how full (very important)? If external, what are the details including the above and how you are connected?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Another thought.

If something is interfering, it may show up in the Background Processing Window. Go to pg 942 in the DP 11 manual to see how to get it to open and close automatically. If something is interfering, you might not see what but you should see the process that is hanging. Take a screen shot if you can and let us see — also useful if you have to send to support.

If the window does not open, that should indicate the problem is somewhere else. I know of other places to look.

Do you have any Corel products on your Mac (other than Toast)?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
cjb

Post by cjb »

mikehalloran, thanks so much for responding. I'm sorry I don't have notifications or similar enabled and hadn't realized you had offered support. Much appreciated!

I actually found a doable workaround. It's a very large template I'm working with and I found that to copy the sequence and delete all the unneeded tracks sped up the Record Beats/tempo map rendering to near instantaneous. With the solution in place on I went.

Still, thanks again for your response and thoughts. I appreciate it!