Attaching MIDI Controllers

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Attaching MIDI Controllers

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Can anyone weigh in on what experiences / strategies they've had with attaching external MIDI faders to the mixing board?

They have always been pretty unpredictable, and the way they work has changed and evolved over time and DP releases.

Lately I've found that they now work (sometimes) when switching between two chunks that both have them, though the behavior again is unpredictable.

But I'm wondering what people's experiences are with...

Multiple chunks?
Clippings?
Assigning more than one MIDI fader (an external MIDI controller, TouchOSC, other ways) to attach to the same DP fader?
Other thoughts or tips?

Thanks!
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
lampfilmusic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Attaching MIDI Controllers

Post by lampfilmusic »

Works OK for me using MIDI slider from controller keyboard for example. Just use the 'MIDI Learn' function in DP.

Not sure why you'd want to attach more than one controller at the same time to a single parameter inside DP.

Sometimes controllers are useful to see what shapes work best for shaping things. - Then cleaner automation shapes can be drawn manually, accurately across time; - unless you're working live.

DP seems well prep'd for working with Mackie HUI devices etc., with the same functionality across Chunks of course.

Can you be more specific in your question?
JSmith1234567
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by JSmith1234567 »

Hi this is really just for attaching hardware faders to specific tracks, not multiple faders going to the same track.

It's kinda flakey. sometimes they work, Burt opening old projects, or copying chunks, they lose their assignment/connection.
OSX Big Sur (latest). Mac Pro Late 2013 ("trash-can"), 3.5 Ghz 6-Core Intel XeonE5, 64GB RAM. Motu DP 11.03, Vienna Pro Server, Presonus Notion, Osculator, Keyboard Maestro
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by bayswater »

JSmith1234567 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 1:52 pm Hi this is really just for attaching hardware faders to specific tracks, not multiple faders going to the same track.

It's kinda flakey. sometimes they work, Burt opening old projects, or copying chunks, they lose their assignment/connection.
Looks to me like it’s for attaching a MIDI controller message to a specific parameters in a plugin. That’s what it did here.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8