Scrolling & Mousewheel sensitivity

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Gone To Lunch
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Scrolling & Mousewheel sensitivity

Post by Gone To Lunch »

I am really struggling to set the value I want via the tiny aux sent control, I am starting to get RSI from having to ever-so-carefully drag the mouse while holding it down on the desk ?

Can I vary the sensitivity to make it more comfortable ?

Or better still, can I set DP to accept the mousewheel instead of hold & drag ?
http://gonetolunchmusic.com/
Current sex toys : DP 9.52, Mac Pro 5,1, 3.46GHz 6-core Intel Xeon, 32GB RAM, OS X 10.13.6, Motu 828 Mk3 Firewire. Sounds by VSL, Mach Five 3, Addictive Drums 2, Native Instruments, Orange Tree, Bolder Sounds. Plug-ins by PSP, 2CAudio, Waves & Lexicon. Scores by Sibelius Ultimate 2019.5.
stubbsonic

Re: Scrolling & Mousewheel sensitivity

Post by stubbsonic »

That's a cool idea. I could imagine hovering over the aux send, holding a modification key, and rolling the mouse wheel to adjust the value. I like it.

I wonder if that could be handled by a custom mouse driver action. Hmmm.

I'll dig into SteerMouse and see if that's possible.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Interesting; I spent a couple of hours Thursday night fine-tuning my JavaFX code for my own app, to better calibrate mouse scrolling sensitivity (my app offers three choices of granularity at the moment), between Magic Mouse 2, Magic Trackpad 2, and Windows 10 mouse behaviour. It wasn't that hard, but some of Oracle's documentation was incorrect so I just allowed my own testing to become the spec.

I would think that whatever tools MOTU uses to develop with, would give similar, or more likely even greater, control over mouse scrolling sensitivity. So maybe they just never got enough feedback it was wanted or needed, to bother?
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I took a brief look in SteerMouse and Apples prefs and couldn't find a way to make a

ModifierKey + wheel = drag up/down

I think it should be possible, but I couldn't find anything with a quick search.

Steermouse lets me choose a mouse action and make it a keyboard function, but not convert a key+mouse action to another mouse action.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

Gone To Lunch

Post by Gone To Lunch »

Problem solved !

I have since been advised on the Facebook DP page that it is available in the mixer menu :

'Enable mouse wheel for sliders and knobs'

It works fine but only in 0.10 increments, which is OK for me.

I have been using DP for over a decade and I never noticed it before !
Current sex toys : DP 9.52, Mac Pro 5,1, 3.46GHz 6-core Intel Xeon, 32GB RAM, OS X 10.13.6, Motu 828 Mk3 Firewire. Sounds by VSL, Mach Five 3, Addictive Drums 2, Native Instruments, Orange Tree, Bolder Sounds. Plug-ins by PSP, 2CAudio, Waves & Lexicon. Scores by Sibelius Ultimate 2019.5.
Gone To Lunch

Post by Gone To Lunch »

One more thing,

If I may be the first to put in a suggestion for DP 11 hehe

The option to re-size the aux send and pan knobs, ie such that they could be wider but vertical, ie expandable to take the whole width of strip.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Gone To Lunch wrote:Problem solved !

....it is available in the mixer menu :

'Enable mouse wheel for sliders and knobs'

...works... in 0.10 increments....

I have been using DP for over a decade and I never noticed it before !
I've been using DP for so long, I now have to ask, "Did I ever know this?"

I think it is good way to work when mixing.

HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

As I recall, DP used to always enable mouse wheel control over faders (users had no choice); the option was added to disable this control to many user's delight (mine included), as it is very easy to inadvertently mess up fader levels when using a Magic Mouse if wheel control is enabled.

I no longer use a Magic Mouse (my life is much better); I will have to try out re-enabling wheel control now that my mouse provides a physical wheel.
leigh

Post by leigh »

Scrolling works well for me using the Magic Trackpad. Rolling the ends of the two fingers used for scrolling moves the little send knobs by 0.1 dB.

I wish there was a way to change the scroll direction, though.

**Leigh
I don't care what you play. I care how you play.— Karl Berger

iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon W, 128GB RAM, Mac OS X 14.2, DP 11.3
VSL, VE Pro 7, MIR Pro 3D, UVI Falcon, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Ozone 9 Advanced, RX 8 Advanced, Dorico 5, Metric Halo ULN-8-3D mkiv, ULN-2-3D & 2882-3D interfaces, Novation Impulse-49, various mics
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

leigh wrote:Scrolling works well for me using the Magic Trackpad. Rolling the ends of the two fingers used for scrolling moves the little send knobs by 0.1 dB.

**Leigh
I see what you mean... when using a mouse with "natural" scrolling, fader moves opposite of expected.

I enabled wheel control for faders for today's session. We'll see how I do with it...
soloact
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by soloact »

leigh wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:08 am Scrolling works well for me using the Magic Trackpad. Rolling the ends of the two fingers used for scrolling moves the little send knobs by 0.1 dB.

**Leigh
All the other software I use allows for inverting the scroll direction. I came back to DP after a while expecting something similar, and there's no option for it. DP is the only app that moves an interface object (slider, knob etc) in the opposite direction as everything else.

I can invert globally, but then everything else is inverted and DP is "normal"
Anyone else have a workaround where all apps scroll in the same direction?
Chandrasekar
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Chandrasekar »

In some other applications (CAD), if you hold a certain key and then use mouse to drag, you can do it 10 times slower anywhere in the program. That was program specific. DP can introduce something like that. Regards.