Getting MOTU Wah plugin to be controlled via MIDI Controller? RESOLVED

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Getting MOTU Wah plugin to be controlled via MIDI Controller? RESOLVED

Post by James Steele »

Hmmm... I think I'm doing everything right. I just thought I'd try an experiment and put the MOTU Wah plugin on a mono lead guitar track for giggles... and it actually doesn't sound bad... but for the life of me I can't figure out how to map the pedal sweep to a MIDI controller message. In my case I'm trying to use the ModWheel which should be CC#1, yes?

Below is how it is set up and the Sweep Control switch is in the MIDI Position, but it doesn't respond to the ModWheel. I've even tried using CC#7 but no response to the volume fader. It's like the plug is not seeing incoming MIDI.

motuwhaplugin.png
motuwhaplugin.png (507.85 KiB) Viewed 601 times
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Tidwells@aol.com
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: Getting MOTU Wah plugin to be controlled via MIDI Controller?

Post by Tidwells@aol.com »

Hey, James! I ran into the same problem with that plug in before. I'm trying to remember what I did. I think I may have solved it by inserting a "change controller" plug-in on the MIDI track and setting it to convert the mod wheel CC#1? to another random CC# like 37 or something....Then set the wah plug-in to respond to that controller #. I think it doesn't like CC#1 or #7....

Doug
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Getting MOTU Wah plugin to be controlled via MIDI Controller?

Post by James Steele »

Tidwells@aol.com wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:37 pm Hey, James! I ran into the same problem with that plug in before. I'm trying to remember what I did. I think I may have solved it by inserting a "change controller" plug-in on the MIDI track and setting it to convert the mod wheel CC#1? to another random CC# like 37 or something....Then set the wah plug-in to respond to that controller #. I think it doesn't like CC#1 or #7....
Ahhh... thank you! Actually that wasn't my problem. It was more basic than that. I'd never used that plugin before and didn't realize I needed to create a MIDI track and then target the output of the MIDI track to the virtual MIDI input of the Wah plugin! After I did that, CC#1 worked just fine and I could control the Wah with the ModWheel! Thanks! :woohoo:

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
cuttime

Re: Getting MOTU Wah plugin to be controlled via MIDI Controller? RESOLVED

Post by cuttime »

Yes, this is a weird one. Try selecting the "Enable Learn mode" icon at the bottom of the window and then touch the pedal graphic and ignore the CC # on the plug as you provide controller input. Hope for no crashes. I think this may work for most of these plugs.
828x MacOS 14.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.32
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

cuttime wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:43 pm Yes, this is a weird one. Try selecting the "Enable Learn mode" icon at the bottom of the window and then touch the pedal graphic and ignore the CC # on the plug as you provide controller input. Hope for no crashes. I think this may work for most of these plugs.
Actually, Doug helped me find the answer I needed. I didn't realize you have to create a MIDI track for input and then assign the output to the virtual MIDI in of the plugin. :)

cuttime

Post by cuttime »

James Steele wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:01 pm
cuttime wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:43 pm Yes, this is a weird one. Try selecting the "Enable Learn mode" icon at the bottom of the window and then touch the pedal graphic and ignore the CC # on the plug as you provide controller input. Hope for no crashes. I think this may work for most of these plugs.
Actually, Doug helped me find the answer I needed. I didn't realize you have to create a MIDI track for input and then assign the output to the virtual MIDI in of the plugin. :)
That works too! Once again, DP's flexibility can sometimes be a liability for us mere mortals.
828x MacOS 14.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.32
Tidwells@aol.com

I used this Wah effect on a sampled harmonica track to simulate the "Wah" motions harmonica players do with their hands. It worked pretty well! Now that I think about it, I think the trouble I had with this plug-in was trying to save its settings. I would take a snapshot at the beginning of the song, but DP wouldn't keep all of the settings. Next time I opened the project, they had reverted to default. When you get the knobs and switches set to your liking, it's not a bad idea to take a photo of it on your phone or save a screenshot of it, just in case....

Doug
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

cuttime wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:33 amThat works too! Once again, DP's flexibility can sometimes be a liability for us mere mortals.
I wasn't aware you could control it via MIDI without making a MIDI track first. I guess, though, that if you want to record automation, you need still need to make a MIDI track (unless you've inserted the Wah on an Instrument track that has MIDI integrated in it now?)

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Tidwells@aol.com wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:15 amNow that I think about it, I think the trouble I had with this plug-in was trying to save its settings. I would take a snapshot at the beginning of the song, but DP wouldn't keep all of the settings. Next time I opened the project, they had reverted to default. When you get the knobs and switches set to your liking, it's not a bad idea to take a photo of it on your phone or save a screenshot of it, just in case....
You could also just save a preset in DP and recall the settings that way, yes?

wahpreset.jpg
wahpreset.jpg (84.37 KiB) Viewed 461 times

Tidwells@aol.com

Good idea, James!

Doug
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Tidwells@aol.com wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:39 pm Good idea, James!
No worries! I've done that. It's one of those things that when it hits you, you're like "Oh, yeah!" :D