Moto MIDI Express 128 Woes / Windows

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
zimbodel
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Moto MIDI Express 128 Woes / Windows

Post by zimbodel »

I own several moto products like B16,LP32,Microlites/AVB -ALL down-right Spectacular Products .. the BEST.

The odd one out and what seems to be the true rotten egg is the MOTU MIDI Express 128. So far an abject failure for me. The 128 is USB powered without any panel buttons, not to be confused with the XT.

I made sure I obtained the correct software and verified with Motu CS which is some of the best Customer Service on the planet you can get.

However, The software (clockworks+MIDI drivers) fails to work with the MOTU 128.

I installed on two laptops.
1) Windows 8
2) Windows 7

Both returns the same problem. Clockworks does not recognize the 128 at all and see it as some sequencing device.
There are no patchbays and preset tabs as there should be and clockworks thinks it is an audio/video device. Go - figure.
I checked in Devices and Device Manager and the Motu USB drivers were correctly installed and functioning perfectly. No problem there.

This is frustrating.
I see on Sweetwater that there is a complaint that basically finds exactly what I am finding.
The user there claims about exactly my experience and that the 128 ONLY works on MAC and never works on Windows.

See at bottom of this page for 1-star rating. also Quoted:
My problem on Windows is seemingly not unique as the user on Sweetwater that gave it a 1-star rating has exactly the same problem.

"https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ?sb=rating"

"dont buy this for your windows DAW system
Used it successfully on a macbook setup, but then migrated to win 10. Come to discover that MOTU has not updated its software at all. since 2011, so the OS cannot locate the device, nor is the software well written in the first place. Total junk. First, it started this clunky "clockworks" program that had some rudimentary MIDI routing setting input, but then when I said "apply", it could not find the interface, yet device manager had it listed. Then, when I rebooted, and ran clockworks, now it brought up some clock/sync software and there was no way to switch it back to operate the MIDI interface. So I uninstalled and reinstalled, same thing: it found some left over data that made it think it was talking to a clocking device. Total CRAP. DO NOT BUY MOTU, and I am not the first to say it. Sweetwater says MOTU is all Win 10 compatible: BS "

If anyone found a solution to run the 128 on windows 7&8 please let me know.
Mike1023

Re: Moto MIDI Express 128 Woes / Windows

Post by Mike1023 »

:deadhorse: what!! damn damn damnit, after three whole weeks and an iconnectivity 8/12, imagine my surprise plugging it in and seeing all the MIDI channels read "emulated" exactly the same damn thing, downgraded from win 10 to Windows 8.1 from my Mac Tower and snow leopard, my Motu express 128 null adjusting to Windows also, what a technical waste a damn time, its a technical brick wall, I'm so frustrated now, I'm sending the OIXL back, and getting back to work using a different technique recording for now, no PC MIDI sequencing record and play back, I'll use the keyboards!! I've never spent so much time in the studio not playing music trying to fix s***🤯now,now kitty it's ok ok!! I'm still pissed🙄lol♥️🎶
Mike1023

Post by Mike1023 »

iconnectivity mioxl $400 is too much to spend on the same s*** that's not really Windows compliant/don't work right/too hard to configure😎
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

Hi,

We're not MOTU but are happy to help as we can. The frustration is obvious but in three posts, you've not told us what we might need to know—and someone else's problems on Sweetwater don't tell us anything either.

Let's start with the obvious: Have you tried the current drivers? The searchable pdf manual should also be a big help.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-03-13 at 10.15.40 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-03-13 at 10.15.40 AM.png (369.08 KiB) Viewed 828 times
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro