Clock options using Rosetta 800 w/DP4.6

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Phil O
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Clock options using Rosetta 800 w/DP4.6

Post by Phil O »

I would like to connect my Apogee Rosetta 800 to my DAW via firewire for use with DP 4.6. I also have a MOTU 828 firewire interface. This gives me three options to sync my DAW to the Rosetta's clock.

1. Directly through Rosetta's firewire card. (This option uses significantly more CPU resources)
2. Through MOTU's ADAT optical. (This seems to be the most CPU efficient)
3. Through MOTU's s/pdif.

My goal is to get the most stable clock. I'll take the CPU hit if #1 is my best option.

Anyone know for certain which is best?

Thanks
Phil
Splinter
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by Splinter »

The Rosetta certainly has the best clock, but why would it use more CPU resources?
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Splinter wrote:The Rosetta certainly has the best clock, but why would it use more CPU resources?
I don't really know why, but when you use Apogee's firewire card you have to set DP's work priority to medium or low (according to a FAQ on Apogee's web site).
For me, I have to set it to low and use a high hardware buffer setting just to get the cpu meter out ot the red.
qo

Post by qo »

Both the 828 and Rosetta have word clock in/out, right? I'd clock the 828 off the Rosetta's WC out. Don't even consider Firewire, ADAT, or SPDIF for this (unless I'm wrong about the 828). But, I know the 828 MkII has WC in/out. Hopefully, that's what you have.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

qo wrote:Both the 828 and Rosetta have word clock in/out, right? I'd clock the 828 off the Rosetta's WC out. Don't even consider Firewire, ADAT, or SPDIF for this (unless I'm wrong about the 828). But, I know the 828 MkII has WC in/out. Hopefully, that's what you have.
Nope. This is the original 828, not the mk II. If it had wordclock, life would be easy.
I might actually break down and email Apogee's tech support. But I haven't had the best experiences with them. The one guy I spoke to there before wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed.
Phil