Finally figuring out the UAD Spark thing

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Finally figuring out the UAD Spark thing

Post by James Steele »

So because I have a PCIe UAD-2 DUO card and want to eventually get a Mac Studio, I was keenly interested in the native plugs that UAD is releasing. I eagerly installed the UA Connect app, made sure my iLok account was linked to my UA account and then licked my chops expecting the UA Connect window to populate and show me all the native versions of the UA plugs I already owned. I got zip. Nada. Butkus.

What I didn't realize and am passing along for those who didn't realize it, is only a handful of the UA plugs are native now and it looks like many of the older, lower end plugs (ones with "Legacy" attached to their names) may never become native.

Here are the plugs that have been ported:
Compressors
API® 2500 Bus Compressor
Teletronix LA-2A Collection
UA 1176 Collection

Reverbs & Delays
Galaxy Tape Echo
Lexicon® 224 Digital Reverb
Pure Plate Reverb

Preamps, EQ & Tape
API® Vision Channel Strip Plus
Neve® 1073® Preamp and EQ
Studer A800 Tape Machine

UAD Instruments
Moog Minimoog®
Opal Morphing Synthesizer*
Ravel Grand Piano
Waterfall B3
That's all folks. So I guess I wish I'd bought the Lexicon 224 instead of the 480L. Maybe they'll port that one eventually. I asked the support guy if as new ones are ported, those of us who own the non-native versions will still be able to get them for free. Waiting for an answer.

So it looks to me that when I make the move to a Mac Studio sometime this year as hoped, if I want to use my UA plug-ins that I own, I'm going to have to buy some flavor of UA external DSP box to run them on. I'm really, REALLY averse to the subscription model that some plug-in developers are pushing. I have monthly bills for electricity, water, trash pickup, internet, cell phone, and my mortgage. I don't want a monthly bill to use my software. :(
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
dix

Re: Finally figuring out the UAD Spark thing

Post by dix »

I knew only certain plugins had been ported, but I can't figure out if more will be coming. I initially assumed that what's been announced was just the beginning, and that they'd mostly all be ported eventually, but now I'm not sure.

Have UA stated whether there's more native plugin conversions coming?
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
dix

Post by dix »

...oops. I found it. UA says "The initial native plug-in selection will be further expanded in the future." No specifics, but at least I now know there's more to come.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

dix wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:39 pm I knew only certain plugins had been ported, but I can't figure out if more will be coming. I initially assumed that what's been announced was just the beginning, and that they'd mostly all be ported eventually, but now I'm not sure.

Have UA stated whether there's more native plugin conversions coming?
I asked the support guy and am waiting for a response. I would assume many of them are coming and it probably takes some time. I can imagine thought that they might not port the plugs that a user might have got that were included when they bought a card. I'm suspicious these days. LOL. Jaded, you might say. I suspect there is a strategy to get people to subscribe. I'll probably end up buying a used TB Satellite on Craigslist or online when the time comes.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5, DP 11.32, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I had a look and downloaded the UAD Connect App. I never updated from UAD-1 to UAD-2, but thought I'd see if any of the older plugins I bought we're available. No surprise, although I have an account with a complete record at UAD, there are no freebies.

But in getting into the app, they wanted by iLok password. I remember AVID asking for that too. Why do they need it? Everyone else seems to be able to deposit licences into my iLok account without knowing my password. (including PSP who is quietly adding free AS updates)
2018 Mini i7 32G macOS 12.6, DP 11.32, Mixbus 10, Logic 10.7, Scarlett 18i8
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Just an update, I did receive a reply from a UA representative. The first answer applies to a general situation, and obviously the second answer replies to a more specific question I had.
I can't comment on future policy because I really don't know, but currently yes, owners of UAD-2 plug-ins that get ported to UADx get the perpetual native license for free.

Yes, currently if you purchase the Lexicon 224, you will get the UADx perpetual license for free.

Black-Man

Post by Black-Man »

Last I checked, UAD was not M1 native, correct? So... what are the odds they port their apps to M1 silicon before porting them to Spark? I have 2 UAD PCIe cards on my old Mac Pro. Have moved to a Mac Studio and am afraid UAD might get left behind despite that I own probably 10-15 of their plugins.
Mac Studio Max, 828es, DP 11
dix

Post by dix »

Black-Man wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:34 pm Last I checked, UAD was not M1 native, correct? So... what are the odds they port their apps to M1 silicon before porting them to Spark? I have 2 UAD PCIe cards on my old Mac Pro. Have moved to a Mac Studio and am afraid UAD might get left behind despite that I own probably 10-15 of their plugins.
No. All UAD plug-ins are now M1 native. Weirdly, the Spark versions are not for some reason.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

dix wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:15 pm
Black-Man wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:34 pm Last I checked, UAD was not M1 native, correct? So... what are the odds they port their apps to M1 silicon before porting them to Spark? I have 2 UAD PCIe cards on my old Mac Pro. Have moved to a Mac Studio and am afraid UAD might get left behind despite that I own probably 10-15 of their plugins.
No. All UAD plug-ins are now M1 native. Weirdly, the Spark versions are not for some reason.
Looks like I may be buying a TB Satellite at some point I guess. Ugh. So I wonder, if native UADx plugs will always be free if you pop for their DSP-dependent plugs? I guess they've got it so you either buy the hardware or you buy the subscription. You have to continue to pay the premium price for the DSP-dependent plugs to get the free UADx version without the subscription, or you give in and subscribe.

It's looking more and more like I should not have popped for the 480L plug in. I just really don't like the subscription model at all... in a visceral, not necessarily rational way.

towerproductions

Post by towerproductions »

I'm still on om MacPro 5.1 and have a ton of UAD plugins on my octo card that I use, so when I move onto a new computer I will probably look into an OWC TB3 to PCIe card expansion box which is around $250 .
DP11.1, Mac Pro 3.33 / 12-core, 96GB RAM, Mac OS 10.14.6
2 MOTU 2408 mk3s Black Lion mod, , UA Apollo Quad, UAD 2 Octo PCIe,
a bunch of EW Play,Opus, Spitfire, Sine,UVI, Kontakt Komplete Ultimate, VE Pro 7, Falcon, DSP Quattro, AmpliTube 5,and way too many others.
dix

Post by dix »

towerproductions wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:37 pm I'm still on om MacPro 5.1 and have a ton of UAD plugins on my octo card that I use, so when I move onto a new computer I will probably look into an OWC TB3 to PCIe card expansion box which is around $250 .
I'm not sure PCIe expansion chassis work with UAD cards. There weren't any that did, that I could find, when I made the transition to M1 last December.
bjornln
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by bjornln »

I have an Mac mini M1 in a sonnettech in a DuoMondo case (I think it is called).

After some minor startup issues, I have my two quad cards running.

I'm still in install phase of this machine, so I haven't any data on performance or so yet.

Best,
/B
Macmini M1 | Motu 828mk3 x 1 | 2 x Motu M64 & SSL XLogic Alpha-Link MADI AX | 2 x Motu MTP AV | OSX 12.6.x | DP 11.x | Mach5 3.x.x | 2xiLok | 2xUAD quad dsp card | Altiverb 7.x | SoundToys | Nomad factory | PSP | Arturia V-collection | Korg VI's |
and loads n' loads n' loads n' loads n' loads o' stuff.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

That’s good news. Although I only have one UAD-2 Duo card so it might be worth it to buy a TB Satellite.

mrgkeys

Post by mrgkeys »

I've had 2 UAD-2 Quads in a Sonnet TB 2 chassis for years and years, all working fine, thru many OSes and Macs, and currently on OS 12.4 with a MacBook Pro M1 Max. First on TB2 then on TB 3 with an adapter for an iMac and now into a TB hub from Caldigit along with 3 Apollo racks and an Octo TB 3 satellite. I use the OWC TB cables and it all just works. And now native plugins as well when I travel. I've had UAD cards since V1 and back when Mackie sold them. It's a good time to be alive and working. The tools are only limited by my imagination.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mrgkeys wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:23 pm I've had 2 UAD-2 Quads in a Sonnet TB 2 chassis for years and years, all working fine, thru many OSes and Macs, and currently on OS 12.4 with a MacBook Pro M1 Max. First on TB2 then on TB 3 with an adapter for an iMac and now into a TB hub from Caldigit along with 3 Apollo racks and an Octo TB 3 satellite. I use the OWC TB cables and it all just works. And now native plugins as well when I travel. I've had UAD cards since V1 and back when Mackie sold them. It's a good time to be alive and working. The tools are only limited by my imagination.
That's pretty cool and if people who don't know you can use them in a chassis start dumping them on the used market for cheap, it may definitely be the way to go.