Big Sur Install work around guide (Updated) 828es

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
QuantaAlesis
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Big Sur Install work around guide (Updated) 828es

Post by QuantaAlesis »

Hello all, today was interesting, having to find away past Apples/Motu compatibility with Big Sur
I hope this will be helpful

Im running OSX 11.2.3

Thanks to the guys in this forum who gave us the codes to work with.
https://www.motunation.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=68380

I tried the formula above given by the lads/ladies in the thread above with no success, there was a small modification required as the file "MOTU MIDI driver.kext" Located in the folder Library/Extensions/ is possibly now called "MOTUProAudio.kext"

see below for a photo of the kext location. If your file is called MOTU MIDI driver.kext please follow the link above
If your file is called MOTUProAudio.kext
Follow steps outlined below
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4nyy43aik5xgs ... n.png?dl=0

Steps Outlined below worked for the File named MOTUProAudio.kext

1. Install latest OSX Driver "MOTU Pro Audio Installer 2.0 (84544).pkg" "Install drivers from Motu Website"
2. Restart computer Hold down "Command R" to reboot into recovery mode, Select user and sign in
3. Go to Utilities (top bar) Select Terminal
4. Type the following two codes

First code [Disables system integrity protection] Type the below code.

csrutil disable

Press enter
Second Code [Allows Motus device Identification to be "Always Trusted" Type the below code.

/usr/sbin/spctl kext-consent add KRCLLMGZ2D

Press enter

5. Restart
6. When started normally, login, open Terminal:
7. "Type or copy this code below exactly"

sudo kextload /Library/Extensions/MOTUProAudio.kext

Press enter
8. Enter your Password
Press enter
9. Box may greet you to tell you that things have happened, Click or Go to system Preferences, (Click padlock down the bottom) enter password and press "Allow button"
10. Restart normally
11. Confirm Device can be seen (for me I can see 828es in the output for speaker selection)
12. Restart again in Recovery mode - open terminal again
13. Type code below to Enable "system Integrity protection"

csrutil enable

press enter
14. Restart and all should be sweet!!

Im running 828ES and all is working fine now!

Hope this helps, I was pricing a new pc today because I was that frustrated with Apple haha
JoaquinVM

Re: Big Sur Install work around guide (Updated) 828es

Post by JoaquinVM »

First of all, excuse my english... My first post here :-)

I'm a happy owner of a Traveler MK1 and MK3 that doesn't appear on MacOS Big Sur. (I've readed in this forum that for other users works fine...) :shock:

I've tried your workaround but substituting "MOTUProAudio.kext" with "MOTUFireWireAudio.kext", installing the last driver and nothing... (The kext ID KRCLLMGZ2D appears to be the same in both drivers).

Then... I'm forgetting something?? I can not use both Travelers in my MacBook Pro Retina Early 2015 with Big Sur... In Catalina works perfect!!

Thanks!! :-)
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Hi Joaquin; welcome to MOTUNation!

Unfortunately,I believe the fix that the fix generously provided by the OP will not work with your hardware. The fix applies to MOTU's latest line of Pro Audio interfaces.

Hope you can get the matter resolved.. unless you absolutely need some Big Sur features, I'd recommend just staying with Catalina.
Vero70

Post by Vero70 »

For me works fine: OSX 11.3 beta, Motu 828es latest firmware (1.3.5+181) and latest Pro Audio Drivers. Macbook pro 16" I9 8core 2.3 GHz 16 GB DDR4
JoaquinVM

Post by JoaquinVM »

Hi again :-)

I've readed the MacOs Big Sur Update (april 7):

https://motu.com/en-us/news/motu-and-macos-big-sur/

All models supported have the driver updated, and the hybrid models appears to work on Intel... But My traveler don't appear in my system and some other users have no problem :shock: I'm working now with an USB soundcard and both Travelers I have turned off (MK3 and MK1) :-(

Of course, In Catalina was perfect and I can not downgrade.

Then... Any idea?? What can I do??

Thanks!! :-)
JoaquinVM

Post by JoaquinVM »

Well, last night Apple uploaded Big Sur 11.3 and now... Both Travelers I have, works. :shock:

Then, after thousand tryings, restarts, disables SIPs, etc, a "simple" update fixed all. Now, I can say that Both Travelers (Original and MK3) works with the last driver in Big Sur 11.3 on Intel Mac (MacBook Pro 13 Early 2105).

I'm very happy as I don't find another interface to replace my Travelers... Analog inputs and ouputs, SPdif, AES, WordClock, Adat, MIDI, Mixer, bus powered... It's a jewel for me.

:-)
fuzzylogic

Post by fuzzylogic »

I have a Firewire 828 mk3 and have avoided Big Sur like the plague. You think it's safe to update from Catalina?
JoaquinVM

Post by JoaquinVM »

Well, days after the 11.3 update, the Traveler suddenly dissapear again in the sound system Input/ouptuts... but just coincided with the release of 11.3.1, the I updated and now appears again.

Will it dissappear again in a few days?? maybe. If it happens again, i will post here.

Maybe is a problem with the extensions that don't load.. I don't know. I will investige it if dissapear again.

And again, excuse my english language...
simul

Post by simul »

Hey everyone. I bought an 828es and I'm trying to use it on 11.6 Big Sur. The kext file was not installed after the main installation of the MOTU software/driver. I tried to disable the SIP and followed all the steps but in terminal I got the error I'll attach here in the post. I read some of you guys managed to use it without motu drivers via AVB but I have no idea how to setup it.
thanks

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gvs4skl3bxpq7 ... .jpeg?dl=0
shimoyjk

Post by shimoyjk »

simul wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:44 am Hey everyone. I bought an 828es and I'm trying to use it on 11.6 Big Sur. The kext file was not installed after the main installation of the MOTU software/driver. I tried to disable the SIP and followed all the steps but in terminal I got the error I'll attach here in the post. I read some of you guys managed to use it without motu drivers via AVB but I have no idea how to setup it.
thanks

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gvs4skl3bxpq7 ... .jpeg?dl=0
hmm.. i think i have similar issues.

big sur 11.6.2, even though I'm using hackintosh it used to be works w/o any problem until I upgraded motherboar and cpu and ram also nvme.. weird enough, Rme ufx works good as it supposed to be.
I tried to find kext file after installation of newest driver from Motu.com but can't find one and my symptom is

: 828es is getting signal from mac on/off. also from Daw's. (tested with studio one, logic pro x, ableton)

on the other hand rme ufx just works. I'm going to follow those steps maybe this weekend if I have some spare time but till then no good for me..

let me know if any of you had similar issues or solved.
hackintosh , big sur 11.6.2
I9 10850k, 32gb, ssd 3tb, nvme 1tb(main disk)
Rme Ufx, Motu 828es
Rme adi-8ds
Bae1073, aml ez1073, Dav bg1, Aea RPQ500
jeffersonrossco

Post by jeffersonrossco »

JoaquinVM wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:56 pm Well, days after the 11.3 update, the Traveler suddenly dissapear again in the sound system Input/ouptuts... but just coincided with the release of 11.3.1, the I updated and now appears again.

Will it dissappear again in a few days?? maybe. If it happens again, i will post here.

Maybe is a problem with the extensions that don't load.. I don't know. I will investige it if dissapear again.

And again, excuse my english language...
Hi Joaquin,
I am running Catalina and cannot get my traveler to appear in in the sound system Input/ouput.
Do you recommend updating to OSX 11.6.1?
Thanks in advance!
Jefferson
--
Mac OSX, Intel, Ableton, Traveler