DP 10 crashing on closing SampleTank window

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
csansom
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP 10 crashing on closing SampleTank window

Post by csansom »

DP 10.13 crashes whenever I click the close button in SampleTank 4's window. I really don't want this large VI window cluttering the place up, not to mention the extra processing required to maintain and animate it. Normally with a VI I only open the window to tweak a setting or whatever, but then run with it closed.
iMac Pro (2017), macOS 12.7.2 Monterey, MOTU M4, Adam A7 monitors, DP 11.3 94678, Finale 27.4.1, VIs from NI, SampleModeling, AudioModeling, Spitfire, Soniccouture, IK, UVI, Modartt, etc. Studiologic acuna88 keyboard
mikehalloran

Re: DP 10 crashing on closing SampleTank window

Post by mikehalloran »

No idea — I use SampleTank more than any other player.

I’ll assume that you’ve checked to make sure you’re running the latest version in IK’s License Manager—if not, do this first.

Usually, when I have ST issues, re-scanning my libraries fixes it but I suspect that’s not the problem here (do re-scan just in case).

A ‘hail mary’ that often works, especially with DP 10 is to start it in Safe mode by holding the Shift key. Shut it down and start again. This clears caches and rebuilds paths.

Another thing to try is to reboot your Mac in Safe mode. Like with DP, boot while holding the Shift key. Log in when it asks. When all your desktop icons have rebuilt, shut down and boot normally. I had to do this a lot in Mojave to solve various problems. If any of your alias icons are generic instead of showing the app, this needed to be done and will be fixed.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Bobbyd

Post by Bobbyd »

I tried Sample Tank's free instruments a couple of years ago and it slowed everything way down. After buying a new imac with 8 cores I tried it again and had the same problem.
iMac 27" 3.6 i9 2019 OS 10.14.4 40Gb RAM, DP 10.13 & 11.11
Mac Mini M1 2020, OS 12.4, 8GB RAM - DP 11.11 - Komplete Kontrol A49
csansom

Post by csansom »

mikehalloran wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:58 am I’ll assume that you’ve checked to make sure you’re running the latest version in IK’s License Manager—if not, do this first.

Usually, when I have ST issues, re-scanning my libraries fixes it but I suspect that’s not the problem here (do re-scan just in case).

A ‘hail mary’ that often works, especially with DP 10 is to start it in Safe mode by holding the Shift key. Shut it down and start again. This clears caches and rebuilds paths.

Another thing to try is to reboot your Mac in Safe mode. Like with DP, boot while holding the Shift key. Log in when it asks. When all your desktop icons have rebuilt, shut down and boot normally. I had to do this a lot in Mojave to solve various problems. If any of your alias icons are generic instead of showing the app, this needed to be done and will be fixed.
Thanks Mike. I tried all of the above (after updating ST4, the next launch re-scans the libraries anyway), all to no avail, sadly - it's a guaranteed crash as soon as I click ST4's close button.

I can live with it. I don't need a huge amount of grunt to run my current project, but it means that every time I go into it I have to shove ST4's window nearly off the screen (actually, most of the way off my second monitor) to get it out of the way... but it shouldn’t be this way!

If anything changes I'll report back here.

Oh, and another thing that's entirely off-topic but related to your advice, Mike: ALL the icons on my desktop (of which, admittedly, there are too many) have been generic for a long time now, and the safe boot didn’t fix that.
iMac Pro (2017), macOS 12.7.2 Monterey, MOTU M4, Adam A7 monitors, DP 11.3 94678, Finale 27.4.1, VIs from NI, SampleModeling, AudioModeling, Spitfire, Soniccouture, IK, UVI, Modartt, etc. Studiologic acuna88 keyboard
csansom

Post by csansom »

Bobbyd wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:53 am I tried Sample Tank's free instruments a couple of years ago and it slowed everything way down. After buying a new imac with 8 cores I tried it again and had the same problem.
I honestly can't say I've experienced any slowdowns using any of IK's products, Mine is a completely different issue.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

csansom wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:34 am
Oh, and another thing that's entirely off-topic but related to your advice, Mike: ALL the icons on my desktop (of which, admittedly, there are too many) have been generic for a long time now, and the safe boot didn’t fix that.
That's not right. A Safe Boot can take awhile to run and you do need to wait till all of those icons rebuild before shutting down—they will do so one at a time.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
csansom

Post by csansom »

mikehalloran wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:13 pm A Safe Boot can take awhile to run and you do need to wait till all of those icons rebuild before shutting down—they will do so one at a time.
OK, thanks Mike. I daresay I was too impatient! Some time when I've a little more of it (time, that is), I'll do it again and leave it running while I have a meal or something.
csansom

Post by csansom »

Well, I tried it again and left it for over an hour over lunch time - no change. Still all generic icons except for a couple of plain text files. Oddly, as it started up in safe mode I did briefly see a couple of icons flash into place (BBEdit, I think), then they vanished again and the files reverted to generic icons. Oh, and I did the safe boot (the second time I tried it) with a USB keyboard instead of my usual Bluetooth one, in case that made a difference.

Anyway, I won’t clog this forum up with any more of this, which is probably completely unrelated to DP. I'll investigate elsewhere. Thanks for trying to help though, Mike!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

csansom wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:36 am Well, I tried it again and left it for over an hour over lunch time - no change. Still all generic icons except for a couple of plain text files. Oddly, as it started up in safe mode I did briefly see a couple of icons flash into place (BBEdit, I think), then they vanished again and the files reverted to generic icons. Oh, and I did the safe boot (the second time I tried it) with a USB keyboard instead of my usual Bluetooth one, in case that made a difference.

Anyway, I won’t clog this forum up with any more of this, which is probably completely unrelated to DP. I'll investigate elsewhere. Thanks for trying to help though, Mike!
Assuming that your signature is correct, Catalina is still eligible for MacOS support from Apple through October 2022. Set up the call on their Support page. Allow plenty of time. That should have worked and what you saw is above my pay grade.

They will insist that you reinstall the OS so do that first through the Recovery partition to save time. Boot with the Command r keys held down. You’ll find Reinstall the MacOS. This will download and reinstall Catalina. If your signature is incorrect, it will reinstall your current MacOS.
csansom

Post by csansom »

Thanks again, Mike. I might just do that.
csansom

Post by csansom »

Still off-topic I'm afraid, Mike, but just to close this off:

I've now discovered that this isn't a Safari problem, but something deeper affecting webloc files. There are several discussions about this - with no answers - on the Apple support site. It seems that for quite a number of people running Catalina, myself included, webloc files always have blank, generic icons no matter where they are, not just on the desktop. Always with the 'Open with' options greyed out and set to an unchangeable Safari, although if you change your default browser the URLs will open correctly in Chrome, Brave or whatever when you double-click the icon. And if you drag from the URL bar in any browser, the resultant webloc file is is always set to a greyed-out Safari. Go figure!

The reason I thought it was affecting virtually all my desktop icons is that virtually all my desktop icons are weblocs! The odd ones that aren't - text files, say, or screenshots, display correctly. And it is possible to paste a custom icon into the Get Info window if you can be bothered, but of course that's a per-icon solution, so hardly ideal.

So that's it. There seems little point in calling Apple about something so trivial, and it's really the smallest possible inconvenience - just a minor irritant really - so I'll live with it!