Recording MIDI drops the first note

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
pat
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Recording MIDI drops the first note

Post by pat »

Hi, I'm new to DP. There's a lot that I like about it so far, but I'm also getting hung up on something really simple.

99% of the time when I record MIDI, it drops the first note. I have count-in and metronome enabled for recording. I strongly suspect I'm playing a few milliseconds before recording actually begins. On other DAWs I've used, they recognize that initial note and place it at the very start of recording. DP on the other hand drops it entirely, as if I'd never played it. My solutions are to a) consciously try to play a bit later than the initial downbeat b) if I played it a bit early and it dropped the note, go back and write it in manually.

I've looked through the manual and searched the forum and haven't found anyone else reporting this sort of thing.

Is there a setting that would get DP to place that first note at 1.1.000 (or wherever I started recording), even if I play the MIDI note just slightly ahead?

DP 11.02 on MacOS 10.15.7, using an m-audio hammer 88 USB keyboard

---

Something is definitely weird though, because sometimes it will throw the first note into the future. Here's a video demonstrating the behavior. The second time I record in DP11, I intentionally play a bit early - and you can see that it creates a clip in the future. In the Reaper example, the "thunk" at the beginning is when I strike the keyboard early - and Reaper doesn't actually even play the note until recording begins. This weird behavior is definitely a thing to send to tech support. I'm just not sure if DP11 can even do the thing where it records the note even if it plays early. I haven't seen anyone else online report this, so either it can't do that and nobody cares, or it doesn't drop the first note on other people.

bayswater

Re: Recording MIDI drops the first note

Post by bayswater »

I don’t know why this would be, but you’ll probably find that most DP users do one of two things:

1) start recording at 2/1/1
2) start the sequence at 0/1/1 (or -1/1/1, etc) and start recording at 1/1/1

Either way you have a bit of space at the start before any MIDI events which can be useful for other reasons.

I’ve never experienced the problem you describe, so while this might not technically be a solution, it might at least be a workaround.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
pat

Post by pat »

If I add a blank bar at the beginning:

1) how do I get the measure numbers to show as the normal 1 / 9 / 17 they would be if I didn't have a blank bar?

2) how do I handle the blank bar when using Sequences in a Song? I want Sequences to flow into one another, but they don't if I have a blank measure
CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by CharlzS »

Maybe try using the Wait button (finger pressing a key) in conjunction with the Countoff. It gives you a continuous countoff until you hit a note which will immediately be placed at 1.1.000 and continues from there. I get that burning the early notes with regular countoff my not be desirable.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Many years ago, I just got into the habit of always giving myself a cushion bar or two at the front. I don't remember if I had the same issue you describe, I've just done it this way for as long as I can remember.

I hit record, then spin my chair over to the keyboard and start playing.

And when I do "punching" there are other things I do that require me to enter overdub mode. I've got a workflow that feels normal. Perhaps other DAWs would do this differently, but I'd rather be the boss of all this.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

pat wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:57 am If I add a blank bar at the beginning:

1) how do I get the measure numbers to show as the normal 1 / 9 / 17 they would be if I didn't have a blank bar?

2) how do I handle the blank bar when using Sequences in a Song? I want Sequences to flow into one another, but they don't if I have a blank measure
Hi, Pat.

For #1, you can have 100 bars before 1 and still show measure 1 as measure 1> Use the Set Chunk Start Time to accomplish this (Chunks window mini-menu or somewhere inside one of the drop boxes of the Transport).

As for #2, if you want smooth transitions from one sequence to the other, use the Chunks chaining feature (at the top of the window), or if it's not smooth enough, use the Song window. So once you have your sequences finished, you just grab them and place them in the Song window in the order you want them played, and this transition should be seamless (i.e., you tell DP to join the sequences at bar x to account for your initial extra measures).
You do this in the Chunks window by setting each sequence's start and end times accordingly.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
pat

Post by pat »

CharlzS wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:36 pm Maybe try using the Wait button (finger pressing a key) in conjunction with the Countoff. It gives you a continuous countoff until you hit a note which will immediately be placed at 1.1.000 and continues from there. I get that burning the early notes with regular countoff my not be desirable.
Yes!!! This is what I want. Wait is really cool, but I didn't think of enabling Countoff with it on. So I was struggling to get the tempo right using Wait.

Thank you so much!! This is awesome.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

pat wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:33 pm
CharlzS wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:36 pm Maybe try using the Wait button (finger pressing a key) in conjunction with the Countoff. It gives you a continuous countoff until you hit a note which will immediately be placed at 1.1.000 and continues from there. I get that burning the early notes with regular countoff my not be desirable.
Yes!!! This is what I want. Wait is really cool, but I didn't think of enabling Countoff with it on. So I was struggling to get the tempo right using Wait.

Thank you so much!! This is awesome.
Awesome, I never thought to use both, learn something new every day! :koolaid:
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.