Clips and timing

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
stringtheory
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Clips and timing

Post by stringtheory »

OK, so how are people dealing with clips and timing? I am just getting into the Clips window and having some fun, but what to do with my habit of giving myself a bar of nothing before beginning a piece? Clips seem locked into even numbered queue grids, which would be pretty much fine if I could offset them by a bar. But the grid always begins at the beginning of the sequence.

Anyone else run up against this? Solutions? Is this a feature request or am I missing something? Is it a workflow change for me, to stop having an empty bar at the beginning of a sequence?
27" iMac 4.0GHz (late 2015), 32G RAM, OSX 10.13.6, DP10.01, UAD Apollo Duo TB, MTPAV USB (also 2021 14" MBP M1 Pro, 32G RAM, Apollo Twin Duo TB)
Michael Canavan

Re: Clips and timing

Post by Michael Canavan »

In the Clip editor you can save a clip to start a whole bar early then loop etc. ie you should be able to use them without giving up a lead in bar. Otherwise they’re tied to at least a quarter note lead in when fired
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
stringtheory

Post by stringtheory »

Ah, thanks. I was able to set the start time of the clip to a bar earlier and keep the loop start where I wanted it, so yes, I can get my desired result. Many thanks.

I will say, though, that I went though a LOT of instant crashes while trying to adjust the loop start time. Don't know if it's just this project, that loop, or what...not going to track it down now, i found a workaround that seems to have eased the issue - which makes me think it was a corrupt file somewhere.
27" iMac 4.0GHz (late 2015), 32G RAM, OSX 10.13.6, DP10.01, UAD Apollo Duo TB, MTPAV USB (also 2021 14" MBP M1 Pro, 32G RAM, Apollo Twin Duo TB)
stringtheory

Post by stringtheory »

Oops, spoke too soon. Still getting instant crashes when I make edits in the Clip Editor of the Clips Window.