Unexpected Instruments in Instruments Bundles

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
ykchung
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Unexpected Instruments in Instruments Bundles

Post by ykchung »

When I opened the instruments bundles, I found two unexpected instruments "Finale:Mix-L 1-Mix-R2" and Sibelius:Mix-L 1-Mix-R 2" alongside my regular instruments Aria player; however, all my Aria player available ports start from 3, 4.... instead of 1, 2. How can I get rid of the Finale and Sibelius instruments? Thank you !!!
cuttime

Re: Unexpected Instruments in Instruments Bundles

Post by cuttime »

Those are ReWire bundles. This comes up with other applications now and then. I've yet to find a reliable way to disable them. If anyone knows, I'm all ears.
828x MacOS 14.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.32
tremo

Post by tremo »

Well, I found a way... In Library/Application Support (for both Main and User Home), there are the folders Propellerhead Software/Rewire. This is where the installed bundles are. There's "Rewire.bundle" which I guess is for general Rewire support, then there are the 3rd-party bundles like "MelodyneRewireDevice.bundle". I didn't want to see the looong list of Ableton Live inputs, so I created a folder called "Rewire disabled", and moved "Ableton Live Engine_64" (which was actually an alias) into that folder. Seems to work.
Mac Studio Max | 32GB | 14.5 | 828es | M4 | DP 10.13 | Studio One 6.6 | Logic 11
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

tremo wrote:Well, I found a way... In Library/Application Support (for both Main and User Home), there are the folders Propellerhead Software/Rewire. This is where the installed bundles are. There's "Rewire.bundle" which I guess is for general Rewire support, then there are the 3rd-party bundles like "MelodyneRewireDevice.bundle". I didn't want to see the looong list of Ableton Live inputs, so I created a folder called "Rewire disabled", and moved "Ableton Live Engine_64" (which was actually an alias) into that folder. Seems to work.
Thanks! I haven't had a chance to try it, but does restarting the applications move the bundles back?
828x MacOS 14.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.32
tremo

Post by tremo »

cuttime wrote: Thanks! I haven't had a chance to try it, but does restarting the applications move the bundles back?
Darn! Yes, it does. I haven't used Ableton for ages, but I fired it up and sure enough, the bundles (in this case aliases) were back. So it's a tougher nut to crack than I thought. :oops:
Mac Studio Max | 32GB | 14.5 | 828es | M4 | DP 10.13 | Studio One 6.6 | Logic 11
tremo

Post by tremo »

*So far* this seems to get rid of the Rewire inputs in DP, at least in the case of Ableton.

https://fatlab.com/blog/2010/02/07/how- ... re-in-dp7/

Short version: in User/Library/Preferences/Ableton/Live 9.7.6 [or whatever pref folder exists for your latest version of Live], create a text file named options.txt, with these contents:

-ReWireMasterOff
-ReWireSlaveOff
-ReWireChannels=0

[edit] Oh, and you still need to delete the Ableton bundles from the Rewire folders, but with the above options.txt file in play, they aren't recreated every time you start Live.

Sorry to the OP; I know this has gone a little off-topic, but maybe there are some clues here...?
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

tremo wrote:*So far* this seems to get rid of the Rewire inputs in DP, at least in the case of Ableton.

https://fatlab.com/blog/2010/02/07/how- ... re-in-dp7/

Short version: in User/Library/Preferences/Ableton/Live 9.7.6 [or whatever pref folder exists for your latest version of Live], create a text file named options.txt, with these contents:

-ReWireMasterOff
-ReWireSlaveOff
-ReWireChannels=0

[edit] Oh, and you still need to delete the Ableton bundles from the Rewire folders, but with the above options.txt file in play, they aren't recreated every time you start Live.

Sorry to the OP; I know this has gone a little off-topic, but maybe there are some clues here...?
In the Abelton article on this, they say "options.txt" files may work but are not supported so they might stop working. This fix did stop working on the recent version of Live Lite I installed a few months ago.

It's a huge PITA -- the solution would be for propellor heads or whatever they call themselves now, to give us control over intrusive VI publishing.
2018 Mini i7 32G macOS 12.6, DP 11.32, Mixbus 10, Logic 10.7, Scarlett 18i8
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

I just added that options.txt file to my Windows Ableton preferences folder here, and it worked! Thank you so much!!!

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\Live 10.0.6\Preferences

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

On a related note: is there any way way to completely disable Rewire across the board and still have Rewire apps installed? I tried many combinations of Rewire apps syncing and never found anything reliable timing-wise. IAC sync (kinda sorta) worked better most of the time. We don't have to debate all that, but I would like to know how to disable Rewire.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

You can disable Rewire completely by renaming (or moving) the Rewire folder in Application Support -> Propellerheads or thereabouts (not on the Mac right now). Some apps will recreate this folder if missing, Reason 10 or under for one. I'm not certain if Live, etc. does, but DP does not and will be Rewire free until the folder reappears. For those on Windows, the Rewire folder is here: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Propellerhead Software.
DP 11.32 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

CharlzS wrote:You can disable Rewire completely by renaming (or moving) the Rewire folder in Application Support -> Propellerheads or thereabouts (not on the Mac right now). Some apps will recreate this folder if missing, Reason 10 or under for one. I'm not certain if Live, etc. does, but DP does not and will be Rewire free until the folder reappears. For those on Windows, the Rewire folder is here: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Propellerhead Software.
I tried this, and at the time, Abelton recreated it at the same time the 'txt' file solution stopped working. But this problem seems to change with Live updates. I've removed Live. Only way I could stop it.
2018 Mini i7 32G macOS 12.6, DP 11.32, Mixbus 10, Logic 10.7, Scarlett 18i8
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

Life would be easier with a Disable Rewire preference in DP. I dropped that in the suggestion box a while back (years ago). Now that PropHeads are orphaning Rewire, maybe a few others will follow.
DP 11.32 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

CharlzS wrote:You can disable Rewire completely by renaming (or moving) the Rewire folder in Application Support -> Propellerheads or thereabouts (not on the Mac right now). Some apps will recreate this folder if missing, Reason 10 or under for one. I'm not certain if Live, etc. does, but DP does not and will be Rewire free until the folder reappears. For those on Windows, the Rewire folder is here: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Propellerhead Software.
Thanks, that worked. I got a warning box from Live but it did work.