I may have to upgrade to Catalina

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Prime Mover
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

I may have to upgrade to Catalina

Post by Prime Mover »

I wasn't really paying attention when the Catalina thread was going, I'm very slow to upgrade. Unfortunately, I just got a new iMac in my rig for work, and it's obviously going to come pre-installed. It's not going to be my audio computer, but it will have to network cleanly with my audio computer, and share some FCPx projects (which Apple always ties the updates to the OSs... grrrrr). So it may require me upgrading both. Anything I should note? I know I'm going to lose 32Lives, and I've made my peace with that. Anything else?
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
bayswater

Re: I may have to upgrade to Catalina

Post by bayswater »

If the new iMac was release before Catalina, it might run Mojave. If so, you might be able to add a volume (not a partition) to the internal drive, and install Mojave on it. That will take up roughly 10G on the drive.

I have this arrangement on my 2018 Mini like this, one volume with Mojave and one with Catalina. Although the apps are all installed on the Mojave drive, those I've tried will run from the Catalina drive, although some require authorization on the Catalina drive separately from what they have on the Mojave drive. Some Apple apps are a PITA. If I start in Calatina, it goes searching for Apple files on the Mojave drive and tries to update them.

If this all works you can install your important apps on the Mojave drive and use that. You'll always have Catalina there when it's time to switch.
2018 Mini i7 32G macOS 12.6, DP 11.32, Mixbus 10, Logic 10.7, Scarlett 18i8
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Eh, I figured I'm going to have to do it at some time anyway. Is there are particular reason I should avoid Catalina now? It might be a good time to switch if not.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I suppose you are going to get Catalina anyway with a new Mac one way or another. If you like what it does, you're done. If not, you may still have the option of putting Mojave on it. As I said I have both and as far as I have tested things, they work with both OS versions other than a few plugins I hardly ever used. I found Catalina itself a bit clunky and annoying, and it seems to have suffered from poor QA during it's development cycles.
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

:o I'm just now seeing that Catalina doesn't play nice with the Korg Legacy Collection. My main lead sound uses that. Ima freakin. Think I'm not gonna. Going to try to keep Mojave on my old computer.

Actually, my plan had been to CarbonCopyCloner the drive on my old computer to the new one. I feel a little uneasy about that though.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Actually, my plan had been to CarbonCopyCloner the drive on my old computer to the new one. I feel a little uneasy about that though.
Not for this. You will need to wipe the drive with an OS 10.14.6 installer—it can be a USB external drive or even a thumb drive. Use Migration Assistant on the new machine to import your files and settings from the old Mac. Even better is a Time Machine Restore after the install.

No iMac updates have been released since October so you may be able to install Mojave by making a USB installer and restoring from Time Machine. The latest MacBooks, Minis and MacPros cannot since their releases were post Catalina. If you plan to do this, it must be done as soon as you get it. If this screws up, an Internet Restore will reset the factory configuration.

You can bring over an older backup but not one that's newer than the OS. This means that Time Machine restore done in Mojave cannot override Catalina. You must install Mojave first, then do the restore. If not planning to go backwards, this is not an issue.

I have Catalina on a test machine. Still holding out hope that my last two remaining 32 bit apps will update before I upgrade but, if they don't, I'll live.

As for DP and plugs, you already know that 32Lives won't work. A number of VSTs won't Authorize while the AUs in the same package do. You'll likely deal with Unidentified Developers messages a lot but once you learn the workarounds to open an App once, you'll be good and won't see that again till you upgrade the app and reset the flag.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by CharlzS »

Prime Mover wrote::o I'm just now seeing that Catalina doesn't play nice with the Korg Legacy Collection. My main lead sound uses that.
Kork came up with a series of updates last month along with the Korg Software Pass which brings everything up to 64 bit. The plugs have been 64 bit but the stand alone apps were still 32 bit until the last update. That may have been the problem with Catalina that you're referencing. Also If you haven't tried the new Triton plug, it's worth looking at. One problem with the Korg stuff that I have is that the Arp Odyssey won't pass DP inspection regardless of OS release.
DP 11.32 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

CharlzS wrote:
Kork came up with a series of updates last month along with the Korg Software Pass which brings everything up to 64 bit. The plugs have been 64 bit but the stand alone apps were still 32 bit until the last update.
I haven't found any update last month for Korg Software (I have the Legacy products of Wavestation and M1). Where did you see these updates?
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

mikehalloran wrote:Even better is a Time Machine Restore after the install.
Mike, I haven't used Time Machine much (mostly it just sits there and does its thing), so I'm not that familiar with it's operation. Can you use it to restore the OS to a drive other than the boot drive, essentially creating a new boot drive?

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
DP 11.32, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.5/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by CharlzS »

Guitar Gaz wrote: I haven't found any update last month for Korg Software (I have the Legacy products of Wavestation and M1). Where did you see these updates?
You can download the Korg Software Pass here: https://id.korg.com/static_pages/3
The individual upgrades should be listed in your Korg ID account also.
If you didn't convert your Korguser.net ID to a Korg ID, I think you can still convert from https://korguser.net.
DP 11.32 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

CharlzS wrote:
You can download the Korg Software Pass here: https://id.korg.com/static_pages/3
The individual upgrades should be listed in your Korg ID account also.
If you didn't convert your Korguser.net ID to a Korg ID, I think you can still convert from https://korguser.net.
That is really helpful - thank you - this was not at all obvious from their website.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Thanks for the Korg links from me as well!
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Phil O wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:Even better is a Time Machine Restore after the install.
Mike, I haven't used Time Machine much (mostly it just sits there and does its thing), so I'm not that familiar with it's operation. Can you use it to restore the OS to a drive other than the boot drive, essentially creating a new boot drive?

Your friendly neighborhood Phil
Yes but... It cannot overwrite a later OS than on the boot drive. The drive must be wiped and reformatted first. This is not the issue in a normal TM Restore where the latest backup OS is the same.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:It cannot overwrite a later OS than on the boot drive.
But is there anything stopping you from creating a new volume and installing a different OS version on that volume? I've done that, adding a Catalina volume to a drive with Mojave installed. But would I have been able to do it the other way around? (assuming of course, the mac is able to run both versions).

If so, this an efficient solution because it only uses the space necessary to store the new OS version, not the space required for an entire partition.
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

I've been drooling over the Triton VI. But at $250 without a discount for former KLC owners? Something feels really wrong there. With M1 and Wavestation, they gave huge discounts when they were released.
— Eric Barker
Eel House