Insanely useful Keyboard Maestro Macro

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Prime Mover
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Insanely useful Keyboard Maestro Macro

Post by Prime Mover »

I thought I'd share this simple but helpful KM Macro I created. This allows you to move the DP playhead by Ctrl-Clicking anywhere, instead of having to find the ~10px vertical region within the ruler.

http://www.ericbarker.com/dropbox/Place ... k.kmmacros

Behinds the scenes: on Ctrl-Click the script gets the current mouse loc, clicks the mouse up in the playhead region of the ruler, then returns the mouse back to its original location. This all happens instantaneously, so it's barely noticeable. It works in the Tracks, Sequence, MIDI, and Drum tabs, and is relative to the DP consolidated window, so the window can be moved anywhere. It would need to be modified if you are using the compact transport controls, or some different window configuration.

To use any other key as a modifier key (like "I-click" for I-beam in DP), I have a slightly different version of the macro I could post if anyone is interested. But I figured "Ctrl-Click" or "Option-Click" (as it could be easily modified to), will work for most people
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
stubbsonic

Re: Insanely useful Keyboard Maestro Macro

Post by stubbsonic »

Thanks for posting this. My first attempt to download Safari added an .xml extension for some unknown reason. I did a "Download As..." and it seemed to work.

This does seem quite useful. I've gotten used to finding that ruler zone, but they don't make it easy. Thanks for sharing the fruits of your labor!
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Rusty Shackleford

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

stubbsonic wrote:Thanks for posting this. My first attempt to download Safari added an .xml extension for some unknown reason. I did a "Download As..." and it seemed to work.

This does seem quite useful. I've gotten used to finding that ruler zone, but they don't make it easy. Thanks for sharing the fruits of your labor!
Prime Mover, thanks for sharing this. I cannot seem to download the macro from your link. I also tried doing as a "Download As..." per stubbsonic's suggestion but I just get that .xml link. Is there something I'm missing here or is there another link to the KM file you created? I look forward to trying it. Thanks again!
iMac 20,1 10-core, 3.6Ghz, OS10.15.7, 128GB RAM, DP 10.13, VEP7
spitfire31

Post by spitfire31 »

This is a great macro, so useful and works perfectly – thank you very much for sharing! And for inspiring me to dig deeper in Keyboard Maestro.
Kind regards,
Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it.
SMS

Post by SMS »

FYI after downloading, it had an .xml extension after the .kmmacros extension. Just remove the .xml and it will open in KM.

I had to edit a bit, it was clicking too high... likely has to do with window options... but it works well, Thanks!
MOTU user since Performer™ 1.22 on 128k floppy
DP 11.23
MacBook Pro 14” 2023 M2 max 12 core
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

Glad some people got some use out of it! Dunno what's up with XML file, must have been generated by Safari, because i didn't put it there.

Just to let everyone know, I've modified it for my own use. Now I simply it the "0" on a number pad, without clicking at all. I figure, if I'm going to hold a key down to alter the mouse click, why not just have the key run the feature.

I think MOTU would get some serious praise if they added a "playback tool" to the tools palette, with similar shortcut. Someday I'll get off my lazy ass and write them a formal suggestion.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
SMS

Post by SMS »

It will be useful to me, but I locate using the 'dot trick' 99.9 of the time. It's 2nd nature, and I'd certainly not be able to sacrifice the "0" key to run the macro. Gonna try your 'modifier-click' trigger and see if it has benefit. Thanks again!
MOTU user since Performer™ 1.22 on 128k floppy
DP 11.23
MacBook Pro 14” 2023 M2 max 12 core
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Doesn't seem to like working with the MTrackpad 2. No a deal breaker and I might fudge with the macro to see if I can make it so. Thanks for sharing. It would be nice to avoid that navigation headache.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

It may not be as useful as most as it is to me. My work is kind of unconventional. I'm going through single waveform tracks and making hundreds of minute edits then relistening to the cut to make sure it works. I'm flicking up the trackpad hundreds of times an hour, and my wrist definitely feels it. I too can locate it about 80% of the time, but it's tiring. Also, on a 4K screen, that region is a bit smaller than it used to be back in the good old days.

MLC: I have a Magic Trackpad 2 as well. I can't imagine the type of pointer would make a difference. KM is simply simulating a click with whatever the default pointer is. It's very likely that people will have to change the click location depending upon their screen resolution. MacOS auto-resizes graphics depending upon the screen resolution, and it seems to translate differently to different environments.

If you need to test it, you can throw a pause command between the move and return commands so you can see where the mouse is moving to. Currently it does it almost instantaneously, so I have to look very closely to see it. The script does calibrate itself to know when you move the DP window vertically, but it may not be calibrated to your screen.
— Eric Barker
Eel House

spitfire31

Post by spitfire31 »

I got the macro working almost immediately on my ancient (2013) MB Air. But now when I'm back in front of my iMac 2019 5K, I can't for my life get it to work in the latest KM. Maybe there's something to Prime Mover's suspicion that the macro isn't comfortable with a 5120x2880 Retina screen?
If it were easy, anybody could do it.
Rusty Shackleford

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

Rusty Shackleford wrote:
stubbsonic wrote:Thanks for posting this. My first attempt to download Safari added an .xml extension for some unknown reason. I did a "Download As..." and it seemed to work.

Prime Mover, thanks for sharing this. I cannot seem to download the macro from your link. I also tried doing as a "Download As..." per stubbsonic's suggestion but I just get that .xml link. Is there something I'm missing here or is there another link to the KM file you created? I look forward to trying it. Thanks again!
Still not able to get past the above mentioned issue in order to successfully download the KM macro from this link. Scratching my head since it seems to be working well for others. Any ideas on how to potentially remedy this? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
iMac 20,1 10-core, 3.6Ghz, OS10.15.7, 128GB RAM, DP 10.13, VEP7
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

Looks useful but not working here after several attempts. I’ll try resetting each step to see if that helps.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS