What are the popular MIDI keyboard controllers w/DP?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Kellog
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: What are the popular MIDI keyboard controllers w/DP?

Post by Kellog »

Yes, very informative to me, thank you terry britton!
Mac mini (2018) 3.2 Ghz 6 Core Intel Core i7 w/64 GB ram, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, DP 10.13, UAD Apollo Quad, Komplete 13 Ultimate, Superior Drummer 3, EZ Keys, EZ Bass, EZ Mix 2, Stylus RMX 1.7f, Avid Eleven Rack.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

terrybritton wrote:Since you want transport control, here is a general guide showing how to do it with most controllers in DP
Have you gotten the transport controls to work on the KK88 while using Komplete Kontrol software to control NKS instruments or is it a dance between KK settings and Controller Editor?
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
terrybritton
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by terrybritton »

Michael Canavan wrote:
terrybritton wrote:Since you want transport control, here is a general guide showing how to do it with most controllers in DP
Have you gotten the transport controls to work on the KK88 while using Komplete Kontrol software to control NKS instruments or is it a dance between KK settings and Controller Editor?
They just recently added limited MCU/Mackie Control support to the Komplete Kontrol software from what I hear, but I haven't tried it yet. The transport buttons are supposed to work, though.

I'm so used to using the NUM pad on my computer keyboard!!!

Terry
Computer: Sweetwater CS400v7 Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz | 64Gigs RAM | Windows 11 Pro x64 |
MOTU 828 mk3 hybrid

DAWs & Live: MOTU Digital Performer 11.31 | Cantabile Performer 4
Keyboard Synths: Kawai K5000s, Korg Wavestation
Controllers: NI Komplete Kontrol S-88 Mk3 & S-49 Mk2; Maschine Mk3 & JAM;
Akai MPK249 & 225, Alesis QX49, Behringer BCF2000 & FCB1010
Rack Modules: Ensoniq ESQm, Yamaha TX81Z, Wavestation SR

Tutorials: https://youtube.com/@CreatorsMediaTools
cuttime

Post by cuttime »

terrybritton wrote:Since you want transport control, here is a general guide showing how to do it with most controllers in DP:
Thanks for this. It should help filling in some of the gaps. To be clear, is the MIDI transport Master off? It appears to be off in the video. I'm never quite sure what state the Master Masters should be in for control surfaces. I take it that the MIDI Masters are limited to note control?
828x MacOS 14.5 M1 Studio Max 1TB 64G DP11.32
tbwnm

Post by tbwnm »

Jumping into this thread as I'm looking to replace my current Axion Pro 61 with an 88 key controller. I never could get the Axion to play nicely with DP + the keys on the 3rd principle octave make an annoying sticky sound when you press them which drives me nuts. I also regret not having at least 76 keys which I find necessary to utilize key switching with minimal fuss having to first switch octaves. I use NI plugins through DP extensively and I'm about to upgrade from DP 9.5 to 10 and want the controller to integrate with DP (with a template that actually works if that’s not asking too much :)). Based on this thread, my best options seem to be between the Nektar LX 88 (can't beat the price at $359), the Atura KeyLab MKII 88 (goes for around $899) or Komplete Kontrol S88 MK 2 (goes for around $1,049). While I do appreciate a nice weighted piano action, it's not essential for me (I have a piano for that), so semi weighted is fine (and I find often prefered for a controller). Have read through all 3 pages of this chain so looking for any updated information/recommendations. Thanks to one and all!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I'd like to speak up in favor of using a keyboard controller that has its own sound generating capabilities. When a keyboard sound (usually a piano for me) is always available, one can just bring up the volume control and there it is. It doesn't matter what studio task one is engaged in, be it arranging a tune, tracking a band, or tuning a vocal track.

I find it incredibly handy to have a zero-latency instrument at my fingertips at all times. You might, too.

I also like having two keyboards within reach... 88 key piano action and 61 key synth/organ action axes. I'd give up the light-action keyboard first, but it sure is nice for certain performance styles, particularly organ (smears without blood) and flirty solo instruments, often using aftertouch to add vibrato.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 14.5 • DP 11.32
tbwnm

Post by tbwnm »

Hi Markus, I'm with you. Before I went with the Axiom Pro I used a Yamaha S80 for years and I do miss having access to at least a built in piano sound for all the reasons you state (although i don't miss the Yamaha interface :)). Does such a thing exist? Specifically, a comprehensive intuitive 88 Key master keyboard controller (with templates for DP) with an excellent built in piano sound? It seems like the current offerings on the market compromise either one or the other and never the two shall meet in an affordable package?
Last edited by tbwnm on Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

tbwnm wrote:Does such a thing exist? Specifically, a comprehensive initiative 88 Key master keyboard controller (with templates for DP) with an excellent built in piano sound? It seems like the current offerings on the market compromise either one or the other and never the two shall meet in an affordable package?
I think you are correct. For me, all I need in a keyboard (mine are currently a Yamaha S90ES and Motif6ES) are excellent playability, aftertouch on the unweighted keyboard, and the ability to use Breath Control, Mod and Pitch Wheels, and Sustain and Continuous Foot Pedals. My needs are satisfied by my current axes, although I do like the current Yamaha premium weighted keyboard action, like that found in the P-515, better.

I certainly DO hear you re: Yamaha's users interface! It is, in a word, convoluted. Fortunately, I don't have to deal with it much these days. I boot the S90 and one click gets me Master preset #2 is a solid, straight grand piano patch that transmits on a single MIDI channel.

What am I blissfully unaware that I am missing in DP control functions?
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

HCMarkus wrote:I'd like to speak up in favor of using a keyboard controller that has its own sound generating capabilities. When a keyboard sound (usually a piano for me) is always available, one can just bring up the volume control and there it is. It doesn't matter what studio task one is engaged in, be it arranging a tune, tracking a band, or tuning a vocal track.
I SO agree with this (at least for me).
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
Rainman

Post by Rainman »

Be interesting to see how MIDI 2.0 addresses this, probably require a new keyboard even though is backwards compatible to 1.0. Another thing I wonder is what needs addressing on the DAW side of things.
DP 10.0, UA Apollo Two, UA Octo, far too many plugs.
Rainman

Post by Rainman »

Do you think we'll "one keyboard to rule them all"?
Rainman

Post by Rainman »

Maybe should move this over to a discussion on 2.0.
dazzjazz

Post by dazzjazz »

Great thread, thanks for all the fabulous insights. Leaning towards Arturia KeyLab Mk2 but it depends on the action...
iMac 27" 2013 24 GB RAM
OSX Catalina. Focusrite Clarett 8Pre. Heritage Audio HA73.
DP10.

Yamaha CP4. 1961 Hammond A100. Too many Leslies.
……………………
Darren Heinrich
BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano
PhD Jazz Organ Improvisation

http://www.dazzjazz.com/
Kellog

Post by Kellog »

FWIW I went with a Nectar Impact LX 49. It integrates pretty well, ie I have transport control and can assign knobs and faders to parameters with MIDI learn. But so far knobs and sliders don't automatically work with parameters in most soft synths. You've gotta use MIDI learn every time. I wish it was automatic but alas- or I'm dense and missing some feature availability.
I have discovered that with most soft synths things like patch change on my Nektar just don't work, at least I haven't figured it out. So I'm still grabbing the mouse or using arrow up and down buttons which I wish I could fix.
The best thing about transport control is that I can start/stop/rec/go back to top/enable click etc- regardless of whatever page is 'on top' in my vid monitors. If I have UA Console open (on top), messing with levels etc- hitting play (enter or spacebar) to start DP normally won't do anything, I've gotta hit a DP window for play to engage. I know a shortcut to switch top pages but its still kinda maddening when Im in the middle of tracking and trying to get some flow etc. But the Nectar transport works no matter what page is on top.
Anyway, that's where I'm at presently. If some of the above 'not working as I wished' scenarios are fixable, please tell me where to look for that fix.
Mac mini (2018) 3.2 Ghz 6 Core Intel Core i7 w/64 GB ram, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, DP 10.13, UAD Apollo Quad, Komplete 13 Ultimate, Superior Drummer 3, EZ Keys, EZ Bass, EZ Mix 2, Stylus RMX 1.7f, Avid Eleven Rack.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

dazzjazz wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:10 am Great thread, thanks for all the fabulous insights. Leaning towards Arturia KeyLab Mk2 but it depends on the action...
I'm a bit late to this one. Maybe the Mk2 is improved over the original. My Keylab was a big disappointment. The OS was not intuitive, and was clearly build around the use of the VIs that came with it. The pads were not particularly usable. After a year, some of the keys stopped transmitting Note On, and on one of them the framing plastic broke so the key's resting position was higher than the rest. It ended up on CraigsList Free.
2018 Mini i7 32G macOS 12.6, DP 11.32, Mixbus 10, Logic 10.7, Scarlett 18i8