DP 10.1 Where has 'Insert Loop' gone?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
rmills007
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

DP 10.1 Where has 'Insert Loop' gone?

Post by rmills007 »

With my upgrade to DP 10.1, I notice the Region-->'Insert Loop' option is gone. It appears to be replaced by Region-->'Pack Into Clips'.

A search through the current user manual and this site turned up no answers. Am I crazy, or is the command gone? Has it been renamed or moved to a different part of the menu system?

How do I loop a single audio region in DP 10.1?

Thanks!
OSX 11.6.1, DP 11.02, Metric Halo ULN-2, Plug-Ins and stuff.
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 10.1 Where has 'Insert Loop' gone?

Post by HCMarkus »

Seem to recall somehow hearing GONE. Replaced by something having to do with Clips...?
rmills007

Post by rmills007 »

HCMarkus wrote:Seem to recall somehow hearing GONE. Replaced by something having to do with Clips...?
I assumed that might be the case since the 'Insert Loop' and 'Clear Loops' commands under the Region menu have been directly replaced by 'Pack Into Clips' and 'Unpack Clips'.

I guess I need to learn about using Clips :roll:

I assumed those were only for live MIDI triggering and performance situations (according to the way it's advertised).

I just want to loop some room tone under dialog.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Is Repeat functions still present? I always used that instead of Loop.
rmills007

Post by rmills007 »

HCMarkus wrote:Is Repeat functions still present? I always used that instead of Loop.
Yup. 'Repeat' and 'Paste Repeat' are still there.
Had never used those, but seems like a good option.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

HCMarkus wrote:Seem to recall somehow hearing GONE. Replaced by something having to do with Clips...?
Yeah, I've got to learn about clips as well since all loops that have been inserted in older projects get replaced by clips when opened in 10.1. Page 296 talks about loops. I'm hoping this won't be a PIA.

I tend to use a drum sequence created in Drum Editor and loop it as opposed to using click. So I have lots of projects with loops for click tracks.

Phil
DP 11.32, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.5/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
rmills007

Post by rmills007 »

Phil O wrote:
HCMarkus wrote:Page 296 talks about loops. I'm hoping this won't be a PIA
Holiday reading fun!
spitfire31

Post by spitfire31 »

As far as I can see, MOTU has suddenly deleted an elegant and unique (?) feature that has always been there: Set loop and Clear loop in an arbitrarily selected piece of a track and 'replaced' it with a convoluted feature called 'Clips' that apparently doesn't do anything like what Set loop did.

I could select, say, three measures in an individual track, call up Set loop and enter five loop cycles (or any arbitrary number). If I change my mind, I don't have to erase X number of cloned measures – I just use Clear loops and I'm back where I started.

AFAIK, Clips can't be set to cycle an arbitrary number of times but seem to be locked to 2, 4, 8 etc. cycles.

I can understand that MOTU needs to flirt with the EDM kiddies, but it shouldn't lead to sabotaging an established worlflow, and in a point update. I'm happy that I didn't buy the 10.01 upgrade!

Unless someone has a bright idea of how to reclaim the dead simple and elegant functionality of Set loops, I guess I'll stay with 9.5.2 until I need to switch to Catalina and then it's goodbye MOTU for me.

I'm very disappointed.
If it were easy, anybody could do it.
CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by CharlzS »

spitfire31 wrote: AFAIK, Clips can't be set to cycle an arbitrary number of times but seem to be locked to 2, 4, 8 etc. cycles.
It's not near as easy as the old loops functionality, but select whatever you want to loop and pack into a clip. Move the cursor to the right edge of the clip and the cursor will change to a loop cursor. At that point, click and drag as many as you need. It will place a fine vertical marker at each repeat point. You're not locked into any progression of cycles. If you want to cancel the loop just get the loop cursor at the end and drag back. You can also open the clip editor and uncheck loop for that clip. That last option will keep the loop length in place, but only play a single clip.
DP 11.32 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

SMH

More than any other "update" 10.1 feels like there are people at MOTU making decisions that don't actually use the program. Long-standing basic functionality is being tossed out the window. I don't get it.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
spitfire31

Post by spitfire31 »

Thank you CharlzS for unraveling Pack clips for me!

At first I scratched my head, because the cursor just wouldn't turn into a loop tool at the edge of a 'packed clip'. Then it dawned on me that perhaps this 'improved feature' only works in Sequence view, not in Tracks view like the old and sorely missed Set loop did. :shake:

Once in Sequence it did work and, to be fair, dragging the Clip loop might in some situations give more control, since you can drag the end freely. OTOH, you can't specify a number of loop cycles and if you're working in Track view, you have to switch to Sequence in order to set the loop.

I want the old Set loop command back in the next update, please!
If it were easy, anybody could do it.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

spitfire31 wrote:I want the old Set loop command back in the next update, please!
I put in a Techlink to that effect. Anyone that feels the same way, please let MOTU know.
I can't believe they're dropping basic functionality like this. They've lost touch with their users IMO.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

philbrown wrote:They've lost touch with their users IMO.
||: They've lost touch with their users IMO. :||
DP 11.32, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.5/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Phil O wrote:
philbrown wrote:They've lost touch with their users IMO.
||: They've lost touch with their users IMO. :||
I deserve the jab I suppose. I've been repeating myself because of of one SMH thing after another with DP10. I really should go back to 9.52 at this point, but I'm afraid of the ramifications AND losing work I've done recently in v10. See David Polich's recent post.

Phil O

Post by Phil O »

So sorry. Didn't mean it as a jab. Just repeating what you said . Get it...repeating. 8)