new NEW Mac Pro ships — mostly

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: new NEW Mac Pro ships — mostly

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:I’ll give it to you straight: That LaCie FW drive you love so much has been an obsolete piece of junk for ten years and it’s time to say goodbye.
It's a fine time to tell me this. I've only had by Lacie FW USB3 for 11 years. Maybe 12. :lol:
2018 Mini i7 32G macOS 12.6, DP 11.32, Mixbus 10, Logic 10.7, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote:
mikehalloran wrote:I’ll give it to you straight: That LaCie FW drive you love so much has been an obsolete piece of junk for ten years and it’s time to say goodbye.
It's a fine time to tell me this. I've only had by Lacie FW USB3 for 11 years. Maybe 12. :lol:
I didn’t say nuttin’ bout USB 3. I have my CD/DVD drive sitting in an eSATA/FW/USB box and It works great — over USB2.

If that box of yours has a USB 3 connector, it’s newer than you think. The first consumer products shipped in 2010 and the first Macs with USB 3 shipped late 2012.
:koolaid:
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
jloeb

Post by jloeb »

mikehalloran wrote:Why anyone would want to compromise performance by installing any 2.5” or 3.5” drive internally is beyond me. Kinda’ like buying a Ferrari and deciding it won’t be right without a banana stuffed into each tailpipe (no reflection on any Simian friends who might think that’s cool).
It's called $$$ Mike, and great hemorrhaging gobs of it are already going to depart me with this long delayed upgrade. It's a given that I'm going with the 4TB OEM, but I was hoping to bring along my 5.5TB of 2.5" PCIe SSDs from the old MP as a security blanket, at least temporarily. I know I'm not entitled to my 1000x Kontakt instances if I behave in this manner and leave stuff on them. But jeez, the sticker shock. :shock:
YOU LIE. No drive will ever be as beautiful to look at!

ok no externals here; internal WD Greens for backup in the top brackets. No place yet to put them or similar in a new MP. However:
mikehalloran wrote:If for Time Machine or other long term backup, use Ethernet or wireless to avoid potential wake from sleep issues — additional benefit: get that noisemaker out of your office or studio.
That's interesting. Any non-homepod solutions you like?
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

For my dual TM backups I use Seagate External USB3 8TB drives; Black Friday price was $120, regular $140. My Mac Pro sits in a machine closet, so noise is not an issue for me. If it is for you, I like MIke's suggestion of Networked BU.

I personally run three spinners internally in my 5,1; two are immediate daily backups of current and recent projects (I like redundant backups!) and the third has archive stuff so I can access old stuff if I need to. Again, the drives make noise, but it is not an issue for me.

This interesting thread has me on the edge of my seat: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/yo ... ro.2216212
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 14.5 • DP 11.32
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote:If that box of yours has a USB 3 connector, it’s newer than you think. The first consumer products shipped in 2010 and the first Macs with USB 3 shipped late 2012.
:koolaid:
Maybe I bought it while I was working at TimeMachine Inc.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Interesting, per a post at MacRumors:
1. If you buy the 12-core today Apple will charge you $1,000 more due to the CPU upgrade, which is a saving of $399 over buying the CPU at USD$ MSRP prices ($1,399) and installing it yourself into a base machine.

2. If you buy the 16-core today Apple will charge you $2,000 more due to the CPU upgrade, which is a saving of $0 over buying the CPU at USD$ MSRP prices ($1,999) and installing it yourself into a base machine.

Actual retail prices on the CPU right now are actually up to almost $200 over MSRP from some vendors.
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

bayswater wrote:
monkey man wrote: Ayayay... this stuff's too-techy for me. Give me a MonkeyLabs Debunkulating Reconfabulator™ or 8bit BS Detector™ any day of the week.
It was pretty simple. When it started, there was one standard based on some commonly owned old Mac, and the number told you how your Mac performed compared to that. You have 3,000 bananas, you used to have 1,000 bananas. Now, I don't know what the number means. Now you have 1,200 doodads. Is that more than 3,000 bananas?
That's it, Stoivo! 'Splains everything.

IIRC a good score was around 33 000 bananas, now they're talking 8 000 doodads. Remaining old-school's making me look like a fool more every day. The only solution is to bring back the past using the ol' MonkeyLabs Controlled Phase Distortion Transmutational™ (CPDT™) Device, featuring the Return to Now™ button. Only problem is that when I return to now, the world is still-new-school. Maybe a software update is in order... :?

Thanks again, man. Bananas = doodads x A, where A has an indeterminate value. :?
mikehalloran wrote:Kinda’ like buying a Ferrari and deciding it won’t be right without a banana stuffed into each tailpipe (no reflection on any Simian friends who might think that’s cool).
Ahh... but it is cool, Mike! Banana fritters rule, and they go down with a bang. :headbang:

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

monkey man wrote:Bananas = doodads x A, where A has an indeterminate value. :?
You have mastered Doodad Math.
Next week, we'll move on to Mice Nuts Math.
Intro: Compare, contrast, juxtapose and discuss: MiceNuts + MiceNuts = MiceNuts
monkey man

Post by monkey man »

Can't wait for the course, Stoivo.

Predictably, I'll be there with bells and whis... I mean, banana and nuts in-hand(!)... and, predictably, my trusty MonkeyLabs Able 'Cause Abacus™ - Also available in IvoryBead Edition™.

That equation's already doing my head in. Thank God for the abacus. :?

Mac 2012 12C Cheese Grater, OSX 10.13.6
MOTU DP8.07, MachFive 3.2.1, MIDI Express XT, 24I/O
Novation, Yamaha & Roland Synths, Guitar & Bass, Kemper Rack

Pretend I've placed your favourite quote here