Plugin Doctor

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Phil O
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Plugin Doctor

Post by Phil O »

Just curious. Anyone here using Plugin Doctor? Thoughts? Tips? Opinions?

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
FMiguelez

Re: Plugin Doctor

Post by FMiguelez »

It's awesome.

Be prepared to be disappointed in a lot of your favorite plugins. You will be able to see exactly what they do and all the crap they infuse into your signal, especially analog-emulation stuff.

It's a great way to really get to know your plugins in depth. It reveals the good and bad. With compressors, its a joy (or torture) to test (depending on how much distortion you discover they infuse). I bet you'll be surprised!
You get to see who the good programmers are and who the wannabes are. The author of the app is like totally cool and reachable.

I haven't used it in a while, but it is an eye opener. Totally worth it. I recommend you follow the thread about it in GS. You can see it in action there and follow everyone's tests and measurements for almost every plugin out there.
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Thanks FM. I think when I saw it it was about 25 bucks. Hey, it's easy to blow that on dinner. I think I'll check it out.

Phil
DP 11.23, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.3.1/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Lots of fun. I got the demo. Amazing how many (and which) plugins do things that are quite unexpected. An example, a simple EQ with input and output level controls: changing the output level changes only the portion of the spectrum addressed by the frequency and Q controls for the lower part of the level range, but the entire spectrum for the rest of its range, and does this with an abrupt threshold. I've tried on several plugins and every time got at least one WTF result.

Interesting but not clear what to do with this. I suppose if you are not getting results from a plugin you expect, you could analyze it and maybe get a hint why. Perhaps a little better than ditching a plugin that doesn't sound right and trying another.

FM, what practical use have you made of this?
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mesayre
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by mesayre »

This is a pretty neat tool.

I've messed with it a bit to see which purportedly 'analog' plugins are adding distortion/color, where in the spectrum and how much. No substitute for listening, of course, but certainly educational.

One thing I haven't been able to figure out, though, is just what "Hammerstein" analysis is doing. I can intuit it's looking at harmonic partials, but I haven't found documentation explaining what test it's running.
DP 10 - Win 10 - Ultralite AVB
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mesayre wrote:One thing I haven't been able to figure out, though, is just what "Hammerstein" analysis is doing. I can intuit it's looking at harmonic partials, but I haven't found documentation explaining what test it's running.
The manual contains a link to an explanation.
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

bayswater wrote:
FM, what practical use have you made of this?
You mean, other than geeking out? :lol:

Mostly as a (preventive) diagnosis tool, if that makes sense. So I don't allow DP so see any plugins until I run them through it, so it forces me to gauge the quality and response of the plug's parameters.

Also, it's a great way to SEE how controls actually behave and react (in reality, as opposed to what the manual states). For instance, you can easily learn about your new compressor behaviour for all parameters and its main characteristics, see harmonic/non-harmonic distortion, see if there are any other nasty artifacts in the signal, check for bugs, etc.
Granted, you could use an oscilloscope for some of that, but PluginDoctor gives you much deeper analysis of those and other parameters.

Wanna have some quick fun?
Check what happens to your signal with any of Waves' Qx series EQs when you make the slope of a high pass filter as steep as possible... You'll be like... WTF is this? And where did it come from and why didn't I hear this before? (or did I?)
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
mesayre
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by mesayre »

bayswater wrote: The manual contains a link to an explanation.
I'd expect so. Unfortunately mine didn't come with a manual. The installed folder has only the app and an uninstaller.

How does one access that? Perhaps the demo doesn't include it?
DP 10 - Win 10 - Ultralite AVB
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

FMiguelez wrote:Also, it's a great way to SEE how controls actually behave and react (in reality, as opposed to what the manual states). For instance, you can easily learn about your new compressor behaviour for all parameters and its main characteristics, see harmonic/non-harmonic distortion, see if there are any other nasty artifacts in the signal, check for bugs, etc.
I suppose it would make sense to use during a trial to at least see where the limits of normal operation are for a plugin -- what control ranges to avoid. But even then, one person's nasty artifact is another's indispensable effect.
FMiguelez wrote:Wanna have some quick fun?
Check what happens to your signal with any of Waves' Qx series EQs when you make the slope of a high pass filter as steep as possible... You'll be like... WTF is this? And where did it come from and why didn't I hear this before? (or did I?)
I had the WTF experience with a lot of plugins using the trial version. And wondered why I hadn't heard it before. So if nothing else, it should improve listening skills.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

mesayre wrote:
bayswater wrote: The manual contains a link to an explanation.
I'd expect so. Unfortunately mine didn't come with a manual. The installed folder has only the app and an uninstaller.

How does one access that? Perhaps the demo doesn't include it?
I only have the demo so far, and it did come with a manual as part of the download. I'm not somewhere I can access it right now. Maybe download again.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

With some time on my hands, I splurged for the paid version of Plugin Doctor, and spent most of the day with it. As per the hints above, it really does give some sense of what's going on with plugins, with hints why some have unexpected effects.

Compared to others, Waves plugins show themselves to be very predictable in Plugin Doctor. Everything is very clean and a control changes one thing. I guess that's why I keep going back to them when in doubt.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I've been experimenting with Catalina and noticed that Plugin Doctor slows down to an unusable pace under this OS. Just a heads up.

Your friendly neighborhood Phil