Regarding VSL's Cube, Full Library

The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other off topic discussion.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
The forum for petitions, theoretical discussion, gripes, or other matters outside deemed outside the scope of helping users make optimal use of MOTU hardware and software. Posts in other forums may be moved here at the moderators discretion. No politics or religion!!
zuul-studios
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Regarding VSL's Cube, Full Library

Post by zuul-studios »

Hello -

I see that VSL's Cube, full library, is on sale for 1/2 price. On the Sweetwater web-site, it's going for $2514.00 for the Cube - Full Library. It normally costs a little over $5,000.00. For the past several years, I've been branching out to more orchestral compositions. At the very least, I utilize virtual instruments (VIs) normally found in an orchestra in my pop jazz-rock compositions (especially the strings, wood-winds and percussion).

I have some questions regarding this library. At 1/2 price off normal pricing, is this set of VIs worth the investment? With regards to sound quality and choice of articulations for each instrument, how does the VSL Cube (full library) compare to what is found in VSL's Special Edition Complete Bundle (which, I believe, is a "watered-down" set of orchestral VIs)? How does the VSL Cube (full library) compare to other more professional orchestral VIs?

I don't know how long this 1/2 price thing is going to last. But, I don't want to miss out on this opportunity if it is as good as it seems to be.

Thank you!

Ted
Computer:
Apple's M2 Mac Studio with 96 RAM; macOS X 14.5; 1 Internal SSD, 8 External SSDs, MOTU 828es audio device, AKAI MPK88 Keyboard Controller

Software:
DP11.31, Logic Pro X, FCPX, DaVinci Resolve; VSL's Super Package, VEPro 7 & MIR Pro, VI Pro 2; Altiverb 8; Cinesample's CineSympnony Complete Bundle; Native-Instrument's Komplete 13 Ultimate Collectors Edition, and many more VIs.
zuul-studios

Re: Regarding VSL's Cube, Full Library

Post by zuul-studios »

For what it's worth. . .

I decided not to upgrade to VSL's Symphonic Cube. As noted below, I have VSL's Special Edition Complete Bundle which really is suiting me just fine. It gives me more than enough control to make the orchestral instruments sound realistic. The only thing that prevents my modest projects from sounding "professional" is that I'm not a professional. LOL!

However. . . Having VSL's Symphonic Cube for sale at 1/2 price is a pretty sweet deal for anyone here who might be interested in a "pro-grade", comprehensive orchestral library. I don't know for how long, but it is on sale at the Sweetwater web-site.

Happy music making. . .

Ted
Computer:
Apple's M2 Mac Studio with 96 RAM; macOS X 14.5; 1 Internal SSD, 8 External SSDs, MOTU 828es audio device, AKAI MPK88 Keyboard Controller

Software:
DP11.31, Logic Pro X, FCPX, DaVinci Resolve; VSL's Super Package, VEPro 7 & MIR Pro, VI Pro 2; Altiverb 8; Cinesample's CineSympnony Complete Bundle; Native-Instrument's Komplete 13 Ultimate Collectors Edition, and many more VIs.
mhschmieder

Re: Regarding VSL's Cube, Full Library

Post by mhschmieder »

I own everything from VSL (including their excellent effects plug-ons, which are my go-to during mixing), except for their newly Synchron-ized versions of their older libraries and the expanded mics for the Synchron Player libs (though I bought them for the two pianos as they are handled differently there and otherwise you miss the superior mid mic choices).

I don't really know what the Cube is -- is that only the stuff that was in the original Gigasampler based libraries?

VSL remains my top choice for almost everything, and their jazz bass (originally a private invite only affair) kills everything else on the market in terms of realism and also extended range playing. Some of the other stuff is FINALLY getting some real competition, from the likes of Chris Hein, the new dry studio series from Spitfire, and some other up-and-coming vendors, as well as VSL's own Synchron series, which isn't uniformly awesome but is outrageously flexible (and difficult to learn).

For me the highlights remain the woodwinds, the solo strings, chamber strings, and much of the percussion (especially the chromatic percussion, but not the marimba and vibes, which have a lot of competition in standalone libraries). I find the timbre and articulations the most realistic of any.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH