Question for you "older" pros-

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
baton999
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Question for you "older" pros-

Post by baton999 »

Hi- I've got "good old plain" Performer 6.2 running on a G3 iBook, 256 Ram, with not a very fast processor. Actually, I got the iBook in '01, so that's how "slow and old" it is. I just bought a MOTU USB Fastlane to use with this set up. For sound, I've got a Kurzweil 2500R. I'm doing large symphonic orchestrations and have run into lots of "stuck" notes when listening to the sequences. It was suggested that my processor on the iBook isn't fast enough to run both Fastlane's power as well as all the MIDI info coming and going through the USB port. A suggested solution was to invest in an interface with it's own AC power, giving the iBook a fighting chance with just the MIDI data. Short of going for a new computer and/or interface, does anyone have any suggestions, comments, critiques, etc? Oh, and I'm old enough and can take it! :)

Thanks in advance-

Bo
baton999@comcast.net
Using iMac G5 20" Core Duo, OS 10.4.2, 1.5 Gig RAM, Fastlane USB MIDI Interface, Kurzweil 2500R, Yamaha P-80 Keyboard, Finale 2007, DP 5.1 and years of musical experience!!!
BradLyons
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by BradLyons »

I'd get more RAM, but what OS are you on?
Thank you,
Brad Lyons
db AUDIO & VIDEO
-Systems Advisor, CTS
baton999

Post by baton999 »

Regarding my system and the need for more Ram: presently, I'm on OS 9.2. With my older AC-powered Opcode serial interface, a 400 Hz Mac "wanabe," and 64 of Ram (!), these same sequences never ever "hung" up. So, more Ram probably isn't the solution, though more Ram is never a bad thing, ewe know. (Sorry-I've got a pun side. :roll: )
Thanks for any advice-

Bo
Using iMac G5 20" Core Duo, OS 10.4.2, 1.5 Gig RAM, Fastlane USB MIDI Interface, Kurzweil 2500R, Yamaha P-80 Keyboard, Finale 2007, DP 5.1 and years of musical experience!!!
Jidis

Post by Jidis »

baton999 wrote:With my older AC-powered Opcode serial interface, a 400 Hz Mac "wanabe," and 64 of Ram (!), these same sequences never ever "hung" up
That's why serial MIDI ROCKS! :twisted:

Jokes aside, with USB plus MOTU MIDI, there could be anything happening. MIDI's lo-tech serial anyway, and if the stream isn't solid and timed perfectly, I guess you could easily miss a note-off message or two. You may also want to look into the OS, or the USB and MIDI files you're running. I *think* one of the 9.x's had some funky USB stuff that got fixed later. I had a MIDISport which would stop responding on my G4 because of it. Trying another USB interface is probably the obvious first choice if you can.

-Take Care
George

PS- Got a Umax clone, an Opcode Studio3, and a 2500R here too. :D
baton999

Post by baton999 »

Hi, and thanks for the advice. I think I've got the latest OS, 9.2.1. There could be a later one, possibly. Of course, all of these problems could be solved by simply updating my entire system; it's only money afterall. And I'd be willing to do that except for one program I rely on, MOTU's Composer Mosaic. Most of my output is notation, about 96%. As you know, it will only run on OS 9 or below. I've got Finale, and OS 10.3 installed on my G3 iBook, but I'm too busy with all my normal workload to try and really learn it the way I know Composer Mosiac. And I only am using Performer to create some demo quality sequences for a in-the-works web page. Again, most of my work is for symphony orchestra, making the need for a good interface manditory. Yeah, one of these days I'm going to have to "bite the bullet" and switch, but until then...

Bo