Drum replacement / Trigger ?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
tommypenngotti
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Drum replacement / Trigger ?

Post by tommypenngotti »

I'm looking to replace my snare in a track with an audio file ....is there any other easier way than cut n paste in on every hit ? Hoping I can use Trigger but I don't see how to access the audio file ...something like you have to make a MIDI file , but how does it access the snare replacement ? thanks ! :roll:
Mac Pro 4,1 2.66 GHz Quad Core, 16GB Ram, OSX.7.5, Dual Cinema Displays -ATI Radeon 5770, Motu 896/828MK II DP 8, Waves v9
Klaus

Re: Drum replacement / Trigger ?

Post by Klaus »

I upgraded to apTrigga3 days some ago and it includes now some replacement presets with samples ( paid ) Lots of control...
Nice tool ( as was apTrigga 2 )
Best
Klaus
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

To use Trigger, you would first create a MIDI track (and if you are in multi-record mode, you'd set Trigger as your input source). You would put Trigger as an insert on your snare audio track. The snare hits will generate MIDI notes with scaled velocity which you would record into the MIDI track.

To replace the snares, you would maybe use MOTU's Model12, or Nanosampler as the destination for the MIDI track (i.e, assign the VI as the output of the MIDI track). You may have to drag the triggered MIDI notes up or down to match the snare sound. The only hitch with either option is that neither has a direct way to do velocity switching, so you'd only get one snare sound.

You could use a sampler VI with velocity switching as your destination. Or you could use more tricks to split the snare into different velocity ranges and use Model12 or NanoSampler. If you are interested in how to do that post here and I'll go over it.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
tommypenngotti

Post by tommypenngotti »

So can you use your own sample (Wav) using Trigger or are you stuck to the VI's sounds ? Thanks guys
Mac Pro 4,1 2.66 GHz Quad Core, 16GB Ram, OSX.7.5, Dual Cinema Displays -ATI Radeon 5770, Motu 896/828MK II DP 8, Waves v9
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

You can drag & drop samples onto NanoSampler. I'm pretty sure you can load your own samples into Model12, as well.

If you wanted velocity switching (i.e., different samples for different velocity ranges), you'd have to do some extra work to make that happen-- but you can. It would involve selecting samples of a particular range, then moving them to another note. So for example, you could have all notes with velocities of 1-100 on C2, and all notes with velocities of 101-127 on C#2. Then put the soft sample on C2, and loud sample on C#2 in the VI. The same process applies to more velocity ranges. Not easy, but doable.
Since NanoSampler only loads one sample, you'd need a separate instance for each sample/velocity-range.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

tommypenngotti

Post by tommypenngotti »

Nanosampler doesn't seem to want to play my Wave file....does it need a certain file extension?? It loads in the project window but I see no wave (nothing appears other than title of Wav) thanks
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Yea, same here. I tried .wav & .WAV

No error message, it even showed the file name, but no sound, no waveform display.

Dragged and dropped an .AIF and bingo bongo. So maybe convert wav to aif first.

tommypenngotti

Post by tommypenngotti »

ok got it figured out , I didn't have the MIDI information on the corresponding key as the Nanosampler . My new question is , its super latent the way the MIDI info is layed down and I'll have to move everything ....any way to correct that?
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Along the bottom is a slider that let's you scale between faster triggering for live, or better velocity interpretation for mixing.

I'd suggest doing what you're doing and just select the whole MIDI track and slide it earlier.

You can align the MIDI notes visually with the audio track. It should be consist, so you can just do it all in one batch. If dynamics aren't super important, you could do some gating and compression to the snare track to make the triggering more consistent.

tommypenngotti

Post by tommypenngotti »

perfect , yes thats the plan ;)
thanks for your help