Speeding Up DP 9.51 for Windows

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
jsg
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Speeding Up DP 9.51 for Windows

Post by jsg »

Hi,

I am running DP 9.51 under Windows 7, with 16GB of RAM, a fast i7 CPU and fast SSD drives. Yet it is sometimes very slow when it comes to re-drawing QuickScribe notation (with different saved track layouts), it sometimes interrupts playback and even sometimes just saving a small MIDI file with no audio can take up to 10 seconds. It's also sometimes slow when changing Window Sets, also sometimes interrupting playback. Is there anything I can do to speed things up?

I am thinking about getting more graphics memory, as of now I have 2GB, thinking of upping it to 6GB.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Jerry
http://www.jerrygerber.com
mesayre
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Speeding Up DP 9.51 for Windows

Post by mesayre »

I have a pretty old system, by modern standards, and I don't see that kind of behavior - though of course it depends a lot on how big your session is. There are a number of things it could be.

I find things start to slow down if I have more than a couple of plugins open, even if they're not in front. I've set mine to always float by default so it forces me to close one when I'm done with it.

Have you added an exception for Windows Defender? Or whatever they're calling it these days? Do you have an anti-virus installed?

Also, what about your graphics drivers? Up-to-date?
DP 10 - Win 10 - Ultralite AVB