AIF to MP3 - What do you use?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
mitchman411
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

AIF to MP3 - What do you use?

Post by mitchman411 »

I was wondering what everyone is using to create MP3's?

Thanks!
chamelion
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by chamelion »

I use SoundConverter all the time - It lives on my dock. It's shareware, and I've never had a problem with it.

http://www.macmusic.org/softs/view.php/lang/EN/id/579/

Cheers,

Geoff
"Don't worry,
be hoppy!"
chrispick

Post by chrispick »

I use Peak Pro because it's included in the app. I pretty much use Peak Pro for all my mastering and file-finishing stuff. A bonus: it allows me to label the mp3 with category tags and all that fancy stuff.
mitchman411

Post by mitchman411 »

Peak Pro is included with DP? Since when? I've purchased DP3 and then DP4. I can't find a copy of Peak Pro anywhere.

I'm currently using 4.1 and I'm planning to upgrade to 4.6. Maybe it will come with 4.6?

I tried SoundConverter. Looks cool! But I'm hesitant to pay $10 just to find out if it works. Do you know if they paid the money to use the good MP3 converter software? (I'm guessing they didn't). What's been your experience with the quality of the MP3 files.
MIDI Life Crisis

Re: AIF to MP3 - What do you use?

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

mitchman411 wrote:I was wondering what everyone is using to create MP3's?

Thanks!
Well, I guess everyone isn;t using the same things. I'm using EITHER DP export soundbites OR Quicktime convert.My cellphone (Razr) likes to play the Quicktime converts, but hates the DP converts.
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
chrispick

Post by chrispick »

mitchman411 wrote:Peak Pro is included with DP? Since when? I've purchased DP3 and then DP4. I can't find a copy of Peak Pro anywhere.
Sorry, my syntax use was confusing. I meant to communicate that mp3 conversion is included within Peak Pro (which I already use for other file finishing). Plus, Peak Pro gives me many mp3 bit rate options and other stuff -- as does the LE version.
mitchman411

Post by mitchman411 »

MIDI Life Crisis wrote:the same things. I'm using EITHER DP export soundbites OR Quicktime convert.My cellphone (Razr) likes to play the Quicktime converts, but hates the DP converts.
Huh? Since when does Quicktime Pro (I tried version 6 and 7) export as MP3? I hadn't checked in a while and you got my hopes up. :(

It is silly that iTunes will create great sounding MP3's, but not Quicktime Pro. Too bad creating MP3's in iTunes is such a clunky process. :(
MIDI Life Crisis

Post by MIDI Life Crisis »

mitchman411 wrote:
MIDI Life Crisis wrote:the same things. I'm using EITHER DP export soundbites OR Quicktime convert.My cellphone (Razr) likes to play the Quicktime converts, but hates the DP converts.
Huh? Since when does Quicktime Pro (I tried version 6 and 7) export as MP3? I hadn't checked in a while and you got my hopes up. :(

It is silly that iTunes will create great sounding MP3's, but not Quicktime Pro. Too bad creating MP3's in iTunes is such a clunky process. :(
I stand corrected. I meant iTunes (thank you!) Quicktime does the MPEG-4 conversions. And yes, iTunes is darn clunky, but they did release a new version today (as well as a new Quicktime 7 version.) And I did check and Quicktime STILL doesn't export to MP3 :)
2013 Mac Pro 32GB RAM

OSX 10.14.6; DP 10; Track 16; Finale 26, iPad Pro, et al

MIDI LIFE CRISIS
chamelion

Post by chamelion »

If you want quick-and-easy, I still think SoundConvert is hard to beat. Just drag the file onto the app and it puts the converted file (in any format you like) next to the original file it the same folder. Works for me :)

Cheers,

Geoff

http://www.macmusic.org/softs/view.php/lang/EN/id/579/
"Don't worry,
be hoppy!"
mitchman411

Post by mitchman411 »

chamelion wrote:If you want quick-and-easy, I still think SoundConvert is hard to beat. Just drag the file onto the app and it puts the converted file (in any format you like) next to the original file it the same folder. Works for me :)
You never answered my questions about it:

"I tried SoundConverter. Looks cool! But I'm hesitant to pay $10 just to find out if it works. Do you know if they paid the money to use the good MP3 converter software? (I'm guessing they didn't). What's been your experience with the quality of the MP3 files."

But you're right, it does look like a good solution. I wish they offered a 30 day free trial instead of the 500k thing. But then again.....it's only $10! :)
chamelion

Post by chamelion »

mitchman411 wrote:I tried SoundConverter. Looks cool! But I'm hesitant to pay $10 just to find out if it works.
Yeah, I guess $10 is a bit steep to risk for something that just may make your life easier. Sheeesh...

Geoff
"Don't worry,
be hoppy!"
mitchman411

Post by mitchman411 »

Converting from AIF to MP3 AND retaining decent quality is pretty important to me....especially since we're charging our clients for the service. When the MP3 phenomenon first started happening, there were all kinds of MP3 converters out there. Some sounded great and some didn't. That's why I was asking for more details about the quality of the program.

But if you don't want to give me those details, I'll go ahead and roll the dice and spend the $10 and hope for the best
chamelion

Post by chamelion »

Hey Mitch, what can I tell you? I haven't put it through the wringer with technical analyses, but I use it for clients too - and often when there are time constraints, radio and TV stations will download them use them for airplay. To my ears they sound excellent, otherwise I wouldn't be doing this commercial :)

Cheers,

Geoff
"Don't worry,
be hoppy!"
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Audacity -

http://www.audacity.sourceforge.net

it's shareware but you don't have to pay anything to use it. Works great and even hosts AU plug-ins! Does plenty of simple audio editing as well.

One small niggle - if you are using a MOTU hardware device, like an 828 MK II, Audacity will switch the sample rate to 96khz. It doesn't save things out at 96khz, it just defaults to that for audio input, if you want to record into Audacity. The solution is simply to do your thing with Audacity, quit the app, then launch DP to "reset" your hardware.
mitchman411

Post by mitchman411 »

Thanks Geoff, I'm going to go with your recomendation. Sounds like you use it for exactly the same thing I do. Except that in my area the local radio stations will ONLY accept MP3's (128k) for on-air use! :)

One last question though.....are you using it with Tiger/Quicktime 7?

Thanks again Geoff. I never would have found this simple, but elegant piece of software with out your help.