Software Piano

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
agarner32
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Software Piano

Post by agarner32 »

I'm a jazz pianist/educator getting into recording using the PMI Bosendorfer 290 and have a few general questions about how to obtain a better sound.

I probably don't even know enough to ask the right questions, but I do know that my sound is very thin or tinny when I record a solo track in DP 4.6. When I listen to the demo tracks on the East-West web site, they sound very full and have a much softer sound which is what I want.

I've been recording a stereo track using the first generation MOTU 828. I have played around with reverb settings, EQ, Channel Strip (presets), etc. and can't seem to fatten the sound--it still sounds thin and tinny. A friend suggested going through a preamp and back into the 828. I'm not even quite sure how to do that using my Mackie 1202.

Any suggestions would really be appreciated.

Thanks,
Aaron
BradLyons
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by BradLyons »

Well, what are you listening to this through (what speakers)?
Thank you,
Brad Lyons
db AUDIO & VIDEO
-Systems Advisor, CTS
agarner32

Post by agarner32 »

Event 20/20 monitors. Also, when I make comparisons of well recorded demos of sites like East West, Synthogy, etc. I'm using the 20/20's.

I even made a recording of the same piece they use as one their demos on East/West Sounds Online site and my version is incredibly tinny.

Thanks,
Aaron
newrigel

Post by newrigel »

Are the demos made with the stock sounds that come with it? Sometime the demos are made with another library and it can get a little confusing...
If all else fails... just run it through a nice tube pre-amp and re-track the returns. Since this is a VI your really @ the mercy of the quality of the actual samples. You know... Altiverb is a great environmental process for anything that needs a warm sound to it. One thing.. I take demos with a grain of salt man, you never know what people use to make demos so beware of that "instant gratification" thing.
agarner32

Post by agarner32 »

I tried to find out what presets where used and nobody at East West knew the answer.

I'll try your suggestions except the one using Altiverb since I don't have it at this point. I did play around with the eq and was able to get a warmer sound. But sitll not as full and fat like the demos.

By the way, since I posted this question I got Ivory and like it much better than the PMI Bosenforfer.

Thanks,
Aaron