MODO Bass

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MODO Bass

Post by David Polich »

stubbsonic wrote:Not a huge fan of IK. My experience with IK is limited to iOS where it has been consistently annoying and disappointing.

I'm fortunate to have a bass I like and really enjoy playing, so I don't feel all that drawn to want to deal with this in any way. The demos sound pretty clunky to me, but I don't doubt a person could get usable results with more careful sequencing.
Speaking as a longtime keyboardist and sound designer/programmer, I'll say this...MODO Bass is hands down the best virtual electric bass instrument I have ever come across. Period. I wouldn't judge by the audio/video demos, download and try the free time-limited demo for yourself. It really doesn't require mad skills to get a good bass track with this, really. Well, other than you should be a good keyboard player and understand what bassists can and can't do. Familiarize yourself with basic bass patterns, know which strings to play, where to fret, etc.

The difference with this instrument is it is not samples. It is modeled. No doubt many people will stay say "modeled, huh? Those are the best modeled samples I've heard". But its true...no recorded samples. So you're not restricted to a limited set of recordings of a bass. Here's a good example of how MODO Bass shines against sampled bass VI's - the slides. To get a slide, you play and hold the start note, and while holding it, play the target note. The harder you play, the faster the slide. And it really sounds like you are sliding over the frets. Sampled slide effects are always at some fixed tempo which may not be the tempo of your song, or the wrong start note or end note.

Another example - MODO Bass "knows" you can't play two notes simultaneously on the same string. So it chooses the second note based on proximity to where you are on the fretboard. Just as a bass player would. If you try to play an interval that is impossible to play on a real bass, the interval will not sound. You can choose the age of your strings (old or new), how close the strings are to the fretboard, playing style (finger, picked, slapped). When you hit a note hard you hear the strings rattle sypathetically just like on an actual bass. This is all genius stuff.

For me this is a game-changer and a must have. I'm so glad I trusted that iK would come up with a great product and bought it on pre-order. If your experience with them is limited to iOS products I would not use that as a benchmark against which you judge their other products. Download this and check it out.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Hmmm... heavy gauge flatwounds on a 35" scale... I wonder how close I can get to that. That's how my Rick Turner Electroline is set up with soap bars and a piezo. Love that bass and wish I could play it again.

Well, not expecting miracles from the MODO but I really haven't liked any of the solutions I've tried. Tapping on an iPad allows me to gig these days. The reason I bought an iPad Pro 12.9" is so that I can have 13 frets instead of 8 (I consider 9 to be critical).

$150 isn't bad. I should have some Jam Points to use against it if I don't get it from Sweetwater.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Not to veer off topic, but I only recently (within the last couple years) tried flat-wounds again. I got these Ernie Ball flats for my 5-string that I really like. They don't sound dull and I can go from tight and defined to big and pillowy. With round-wounds, I have to replace them so often (because I have those kind of hands). The Ernie Ball flats last a long time and sound about the same the whole time.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

waxman wrote:I am a Pro bass player. Made a great living playing bass. When I saw this today it made me think I should have just studied keyboards...
Have you tried it with different controllers? Like a MIDI converter on guitar?
2018 Mini i7 32G macOS 12.6, DP 11.32, Mixbus 10, Logic 10.7, Scarlett 18i8
wylie1

Post by wylie1 »

bayswater wrote: Have you tried it with different controllers? Like a MIDI converter on guitar?
Didn't even think about that I've got one lying around I'll have to knock the dust off it.
MacPro 3.2 ghz 8 core 12gig,DigimaxFS, 2408mk3,8Pre,828mk3,Ozone5,MachFive3, BFD2, Sampletank2,DP8.+,Sampletron,Nectar,Central Station,D5s,Q10s.plus stuff.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

wylie1 wrote:
bayswater wrote: Have you tried it with different controllers? Like a MIDI converter on guitar?
Didn't even think about that I've got one lying around I'll have to knock the dust off it.
I thought it worth a try while I save $5K and wait 7 years for a left handed 4003
waxman

Post by waxman »

bayswater wrote:
waxman wrote:I am a Pro bass player. Made a great living playing bass. When I saw this today it made me think I should have just studied keyboards...
Have you tried it with different controllers? Like a MIDI converter on guitar?
no I don't have a gtr MIDI controller. But I would just play the bass in that case. This to me is on the level of BFD3 drums. It is a great way to get killer tracks that don't sound like a computer generated track. For me that is the goal. If I want computer music I switch to my Maschine Studio and all that.... it's just different worlds. Ones not better then the other. But I am glad that I know how to make music in both settings. Dave Polich is right. This is the best Bass VI so far. He would know he has them all. I'm so glad he let me know about it...
waxman
DP9.5, Macbook Pro (2018) Mojave, Slate VMS mic, Everything Bundle, Dual Raven MTI 2, Apollo Twin Quad, UAD Arrow, UAD Satellite Octo Tbolt and all the UAD plugs, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate & Arturia V Collection 6, Maschine Studio MK3 Hardware, NI Komplete Kontrol 61s MK 2, Spectrasonics Ominisphere, Superior Drummer, BFD3, Ozone 7, Altiverb, Sound Toys, Waves, Final Cut X. PT 11.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

waxman wrote:no I don't have a gtr MIDI controller. But I would just play the bass in that case.
I might do that too. But I don't have many instruments to choose from, so this would be a useful addition for me if it responded well to MIDI guitar converters. I've done it using other VIs playing on the lower 4 strings on the guitar. It works in some situations, at least for me, better than a keyboard.
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Boy, this came at just the right time for me. I'm working on a project where I was supplied with some MIDI bass tracks and was looking for a good electric bass VI. I tried the demo and I think modo will do nicely.

However, I'm having one problem and I suspect I'm doing something stupid. The fader on the MIDI track seems to do nothing. Even with it all the way down it sends full signal to modo. Something stupid, right? Help!

Phil
DP 11.32, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.5/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Phil O wrote:However, I'm having one problem and I suspect I'm doing something stupid. The fader on the MIDI track seems to do nothing. Even with it all the way down it sends full signal to modo. Something stupid, right? Help!

Phil
Another fader or path on the same MIDI channel and port?
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Nope, I tried it in a new project with just a single MIDI track and single instrument track. Same results.
DP 11.32, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.5/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
buzzsmith

MODO Bass

Post by buzzsmith »

An obvious question, but I'll ask anyway as I'm interested.

Is the MODO module set to receive Controller #7 for volume? I know that some of my VIs don't respond to a fader but do to Controller #1.

Just a thought!

Buzzy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Early 2009 Mac Pro 4,1>5,1 3.33 GHz Hex Core Intel Xeon OS X 10.8.5 SSD (32 gigs RAM)
DP 9.51 PCI-424e / original 2408, 2408mkII, 24I/O, MTP-AV

Yamaha C7 Conservatory Grand
Hammond B-3 / Leslie 145
Focal Twin6 Be(s)

Phil O

Post by Phil O »

I have no idea, Buzz. In fact as far as I can tell, there's no manual. So, everything I know so far is just from messing with it. :?
IK Multimedia
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by IK Multimedia »

Phil O wrote:Nope, I tried it in a new project with just a single MIDI track and single instrument track. Same results.
In this case, it would be best to report this to IK Support at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/contact-support/mi/ as they did test on DP so I would bet they can get the issue figured out. Thanks!
IK Multimedia
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by IK Multimedia »

Phil O wrote:I have no idea, Buzz. In fact as far as I can tell, there's no manual. So, everything I know so far is just from messing with it. :?
CC7 does not control master volume in MODO BASS at this time but the suggestion has been relayed.

Note that there is indeed a manual, it would be installed where other IK manuals are installed. You can find details about where manuals can be located on your system at http://www.ikmultimedia.com/faq/2497
Last edited by IK Multimedia on Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.