Changing VIs / keeping MIDI track connections

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
stickwolf
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Changing VIs / keeping MIDI track connections

Post by stickwolf »

Is this just a glitch or is there anything I can do?

When I change a virtual instrument to a different module, any MIDI tracks that were output to the original automatically update to be output to the new one. BUT, they don't actually output to the new one unless I go to the track and manually reselect the new one again.
stickwolf

Post by stickwolf »

Anybody? Should I just report this as a glitch to MOTU?
kelldammit
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by kelldammit »

i think switching VI's behaves roughly the same way even when you're just monitoring (i.e. working out parts, not recording yet)...
though i think all i've had to do to cure that is to switch the MIDI track out of rec, and back to rec again.

i haven't tried it with prerecorded MIDI tracks, but it seems to make sense that there would be a problem there too.

kell
stickwolf

Post by stickwolf »

Yes, this happens when I'm just fiddling around. I never put the track in record at all. Switching record-enable on and off is just as annoying as choosing the track output again.

It lists the right output, it just apparently doesn't make the virtual connections until an actual action is taken to connect them. It shouldn't have to be that way.
kelldammit
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by kelldammit »

yeah, exactly....everything looks fine, like it changed without a hitch...but...no sound, etc till you reassign.

kell
richard

Post by richard »

stickwolf wrote:Anybody? Should I just report this as a glitch to MOTU?
For me, it's a low priority glitch compared to simply improving the code to be more CPU friendly.

One problem implementing this feature would be that some instruments are multi-timbral. If you replaced a VI that previously had a MIDI track using that synth on channel 8, and replace it with a VI that uses only one channel, what is supposed to happen?
Richard Temple
G5 2x2 4.5Gb, MacBook, 828mkII, Tascam FW 1804, DP, Logic, Giga, MachV, Reason, Live, EW Gold, Stormdrums, Atmosphere....
www.mutexmusic.com
stickwolf

Post by stickwolf »

Ok, fair enough. I'll live with it. I guess I would just at least like it to be mentioned as the case in the manual, and not pretend like it should work. But then, I can never expect anything to be perfect. DP rocks, and I'm pretty happy overall.

-Aaron