PreSonus Firebox

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
bug67
Primary DAW OS: Windows

PreSonus Firebox

Post by bug67 »

This may have been answered before so, I appologize if it has.

I am wanting to get a Presonus Firebox to use as my input source on my 867 PowerBook for portable recording. PreSonus's site says the Firebox is not recomended for use with Digital Performer. Says they are in the process of "certifying" DP. Is this true? Has anyone tried using the Firebox with DP? Seems to me if the Firebox interfaces with core audio and is a plug and play firewire interface, there shouldn't be any problems. Can anyone confirm this?
Dual 2.7gig PowerPC G5 with 8gig RAM OS X 10.5.5
MOTU 828mkII
PreSonus DigiMax LT
Novation ReMOTE 25
Digital Performer 6, Logic Studio 8, NI's Guitar Rig2, BFD, Mach V, Mesa Boogie DC-5, Shure, AKG and Rode mics.
musbkc
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Presonus Firebox with DP 4.5.2

Post by musbkc »

I have a Presonus Firebox to run for loops live and traveling recording and it does not work well with DP. I think it has to do with sample rates or buffer sizes. Let me know if you get any more information.

KC Clark
kc@charlottesouth.org
Ryuben
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by Ryuben »

If this is of any help, I've heard that [in DP] you need to set your "work priority" to "Low" for the firebox to work effectively with DP.

I do not own a firebox but I've been looking into purchasing one recently and through my research that was something I came across. Someone has posted some email dialogue from Presonus/MOTU somewhere on this site talking about this issue...you may want to poke around to get the rest of the story.

Anyway - just thought I'd share.
good luck.
~Ryuben
kelldammit
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by kelldammit »

the same holds true for the focusrite saffire...though i couldn't find specific info on the web regarding dp, other than motu's generic recommendation (to paraphrase):
if you're having trouble...set the work priority to medium or low, and increase your buffers.

kell