pops and clicks

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
rajman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

pops and clicks

Post by rajman »

Is there anything that you can do to get rid of clicks or pops besides tweaKing the buffer settings?

ibookg4 937Mhz
lexicon omega
256mb ram
dp4.12
Dfab020

Re: pops and clicks

Post by Dfab020 »

Hello

You may want to seriously think about getting more RAM. 256 MB is not enough RAM to really accomplish anything in DP4 and OSX.

--Bryan--
http://www.dfabstudios.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.dfabmusic.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rajman

Post by rajman »

I ordered a 512mb upgrade for the ibook. Do you think that will solve the problem?
-Thanks for the help
Tim

Post by Tim »

Originally posted by rajman:
I ordered a 512mb upgrade for the ibook. Do you think that will solve the problem?
-Thanks for the help
Do you have a dedicated audio drive (at least 7200 rpm)?
rajman

Post by rajman »

Im not sure what you mean Tim. I got an extrernal hard drive w/ 200Gigs its a Maxtor with the 911 oxford chip set and I believe its 7200 rpm. Should I be recording directly onto that? If so, Im not surer how to do that...Sorry I am so clueless about this stuff-I would really appreciate some guidance here...
croyal

Post by croyal »

Check your digital clock setting. Clicks and pops are also indicative of clocking issues- meaning that a receiving device is using its own internal clock instead of either the sending device's clock OR a master clock common to all devices, such as a Big Ben or Gen6x . There should be only one clock source for your whole setup and everything should be set to external clocking except for that master clock. DP hardware setup will access a driver for your hardware and it's possible it has been incorrectly set/reset. Good rule of thumb is DP set to external digital clock when recording audio into the Mac, but set to internal digi clock when sending audio out to other digital gear.

A variation would be if your DP rig is indeed set to external but there is not an external clock present. Things may run okay, but more clicks and pops are coming to visit.

Lastly, use digital cables for AES and SPDIF. Just cause a cable has the correct connector doesn't mean it's the right impedence for the job. I've seen many pros use mic cable for AES and then wonder why things click and pop on playback.

Chris
Mac Studio Ultra/ 2013 Trashcan. DP10 and 11.
32 channels of Apogee Symphony MkII/ Dangerous 2Bus+.
Lots of Neve, API, and Dangerous outboard gear.
millettbass

Clock Settings....

Post by millettbass »

Great advice on clocking issues. Solved my click 'n' pop problems.
G5 Dual 2.0 ghz / 2gb RAM / Presonus Firepod / DP 4.61
kelldammit
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by kelldammit »

i'd agree with the two major recommendations:
record to a 7200rpm drive.
more memory. more memory. more memory. max it out if you can afford to!

i don't know if this is useful, but i ran into a strange clicking/popping problem with my focusrite saffire interface.
if i used a vi (absynth in particular) in dp, and sounded more than say 4 notes simultaneously (though sometimes not even that many), i'd start getting a lot of clicks and pops. cpu load stayed relatively low, and there was no apparent spiking.
setting higher buffers only made the problem worse! but at the lowest buffer setting (64k), the problem pretty much went away...but not completely.
as standalone, absynth worked fine, so i knew it must be some setting in dp...
after doing some reading, and guessing, i tried setting the work priority setting in dp to low, raised my buffer settings, and presto! my issue was no more...it works like a charm :)

kell