How to copy MIDI controller data, change control number

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
soulicious
Primary DAW OS: Windows

How to copy MIDI controller data, change control number

Post by soulicious »

After doing a bunch of research, I think I've narrowed down the solution to my issue to the View Filter. Special thanks to shooshie and all the other really helpful people on this site for the existing threads!

That being said, as a new DP user I'm struggling with how to use the View Filter to accomplish my goal. I have a MIDI controller track with automation data that I need to copy to 3 new tracks. I can copy the data to new tracks easy enough and/or I can duplicate the track, but I need to change the controller number of each new track's automation data. Since the automation data has hundreds of events, it would take forever to manually change the controller number in the event list.

It seems like with the View Filter I should be able to copy the automation data from my MIDI track and paste it onto a new track while re-assigning the controller number to all the events. Is this true? If so, can someone guide me on the process or perhaps point me to a page that describes this process? So far I haven't found something that clearly outlines the details for how to do this.

Thanks in advance for your help!
soulicious
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: How to copy MIDI controller data, change control number

Post by soulicious »

I figured it out so I thought I would post the solution here in case anyone else has a similar question. Turns out I was WAY off about the "View Filter" being the solution to my issue. Fortunately, DP has a very specific command to change MIDI controller number values called "re-assign continuous data" which lives in the "Region" menu.

I simply copied the MIDI track in question, selected all the data on the track, then applied the command. Done and done!

:headbang: