"Attach MIDI Controller" option question

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
richford
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

"Attach MIDI Controller" option question

Post by richford »

I'm very new to DP8 and it's going quite well at the moment - but I am having some difficulty with CC's and controlling from external devices.

This specific question relates to the Attach MIDI Controller option.
It works like a dream in the main Mixing Board window - the red box appears as per the instructions and I can assign external controls to faders easily - BUT - what I want to do is be able to control parameters in an insert plugin. This doesn't seem to be possible on the face of it but I can draw automation and that works fine.

Any thoughts?

external controller is Allen and Heath Zed R16
Mac OSX 10.6
stoecklem
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: "Attach MIDI Controller" option question

Post by stoecklem »

Right..I don't think this is possible since you can't use MIDI to control plug-in automation. This is another reason I like VE pro. It gives you more flexibility since it's plugins can be controlled via MIDI or automation and it has it's own MIDI learn.
richford
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: "Attach MIDI Controller" option question

Post by richford »

Thanks for that suggestion - I also have VE pro licences but not yet used them - so it sounds like I ought to dig into the software whilst I have time and find out all about it.