Exporting Individual Tracks After Melodyne

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
lindymack
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Exporting Individual Tracks After Melodyne

Post by lindymack »

I'm using DP8 to record a big band. Intonation in the band was a fairly big issue, so I've been using Melodyne to bring things back into tune. Doing it on so many (17) tracks, though, is dominating my MacBook Pro's processors. In order to streamline things, I had hoped that exporting the tuned tracks as new soundbites and taking Melodyne out of the mix would lighten the load. But I cannot find a way to export the tuned audio as individual tracks all at once. I've tried Bounce-To-Disc, but I have to do that one track at a time or it combines them. As far as I can tell, other export commands bypass Melodyne.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Lindy

MacBook Pro
2GHz Intel Core i7
8GB 1333 MHz DDR3
David Polich

Re: Exporting Individual Tracks After Melodyne

Post by David Polich »

Pretty easy, actually.

Create a new stereo track and assign its input to a new stereo bus (for example, 23-24). This will be your "mixdown" track.

Set up an aux send for each of the instruments and assign that send to the
new stereo bus you created for the new mixdown track.

Record enable the mixdown track. Go to the bar before the first appearance of the Melodyned instruments and then highlight the mixdown track (select it) and press Shift+A to see how the meters for that track light up, then press play. Run a pass to see if anything is overloading the input bus. Adjust balance of instrument tracks as desired. If you need to, disable other tracks in your sequence until your CPU load is ok. When satisfied, rewind to the beginning and record a pass in real-time.

You can then go back to the Melodyned tracks and remove the instances of Melodyne, and then take those tracks offline (don't throw them away). You will now have a stereo mixdown track of all the Melodyned instruments.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
lindymack

Post by lindymack »

Thanks, David, for your reply.

I'm not actually looking for a stereo mixdown. I want individual tracks that are tuned from the Melodyne tracks so that I can continue working on them prior to mixdown. So if I start with 17 tracks going through Melodyne, I want to end up with 17 tuned-up tracks without Melodyne, which will free up processors to work on other things.

I did think of disabling all of the plug-ins except for Melodyne, and that seems to have improved things a bit. I'm still running into sluggish behavior from the MBP, though. I'm hoping to find more ways to free up the processors.

Thanks,

Lindy
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

lindymack wrote:Thanks, David, for your reply.

I'm not actually looking for a stereo mixdown. I want individual tracks that are tuned from the Melodyne tracks so that I can continue working on them prior to mixdown. So if I start with 17 tracks going through Melodyne, I want to end up with 17 tuned-up tracks without Melodyne, which will free up processors to work on other things.

I did think of disabling all of the plug-ins except for Melodyne, and that seems to have improved things a bit. I'm still running into sluggish behavior from the MBP, though. I'm hoping to find more ways to free up the processors.

Thanks,

Lindy
Oh...well, in that case, you'll need to bus each track to a new track and
record THAT as audio. Follow the same procedure I described above, basically.

1. Create a new mono track, with a new mono bus as its input, for example,
bus 23. This will be your target track. You might want to identify the track with something like "MD" (for "Melodyned") in the name, as in "Trumpet 1 MD". This way you'll avoid confusion.

2. Assign a send on your source track to the same bus as the input bus for
the target track.

3. Record-enable the target track, start playback of the source track to
check your level.

4. When satisfied, rewind to the beginning of the source track, press record and play and record a pass onto the target track.

5. When done, remove the instance of Melodyne from the source track and disable the source track.

6. Do the same procedure for the remaining 16 tracks.

This is how I process vocal and instrumental tracks all the time. Someone
else may have a quicker method for you, I'm just explaining the one that
I've been using.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
greg328

Post by greg328 »

You could also just bus each track out to a new blank audio track by setting source track output to a bus pair (or single bus if mono), which will then serve as the input bus for the target audio track. Using a send like recommended above I'd fine as well but you would need to make sure your send level is precise. Also, using this method, you would only hear the destination track, never both.

Using this method will ensure all inserted effects will be printed in the recorded track.

My .02

Greg
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 GIG RAM, Apollo Quad, OS 13.4.1 Ventura
DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
lindymack

Post by lindymack »

That sounds like it might do the trick. It will briefly double the number of tracks, but then I can delete the original tracks (which I have backed up, anyway), which will get Melodyne out of the chain.

I'll give it a try.

Thanks,

Lindy
ronjams

Post by ronjams »

David Polich wrote:Pretty easy, actually.

Create a new stereo track and assign its input to a new stereo bus (for example, 23-24). This will be your "mixdown" track.

Set up an aux send for each of the instruments and assign that send to the
new stereo bus you created for the new mixdown track.

Record enable the mixdown track. Go to the bar before the first appearance of the Melodyned instruments and then highlight the mixdown track (select it) and press Shift+A to see how the meters for that track light up, then press play. Run a pass to see if anything is overloading the input bus. Adjust balance of instrument tracks as desired. If you need to, disable other tracks in your sequence until your CPU load is ok. When satisfied, rewind to the beginning and record a pass in real-time.

You can then go back to the Melodyned tracks and remove the instances of Melodyne, and then take those tracks offline (don't throw them away). You will now have a stereo mixdown track of all the Melodyned instruments.
I see some of the Ideas that people have for getting the tracks from melodyne back into DP are good but the fastest way to me if it wasn't already stated is to simply freeze the tracks. Make sure that the tracks are outputting mono otherwise you will end up with stereo tracks.
Mac Studio M1 Max DIGITAL PERFORMER1248/8pre ESFalcon/kontakt/Unify & A LOT MORE GEAR
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Yes, freeze tracks is always an option.