DP8 Welcome Window

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
joelmusic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

DP8 Welcome Window

Post by joelmusic »

Is there a preference to get rid of it?
Mac Studio Max - 32GB Ram, Komplete Kontrol S88, Komplete 13, DP11, UAD Apollo Twin Duo, East/West Composer Cloud, Vienna, Arturia V8, Yamaha Enspire Pro Disklavier Piano
Guitar Gaz

Re: DP8 Welcome Window

Post by Guitar Gaz »

see other posts - but you can choose to load your previously used project as the default - this gets rid of it. I have got used to it and quite like it now as I am working on several projects - so good to get the choice.
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
joelmusic

Post by joelmusic »

The only thing for me is, I sometimes have to open and work with hundreds of different MIDI files in a day and it really gets in the way. I did a search and didn't find 'welcome window' in any posts... :?
Mac Studio Max - 32GB Ram, Komplete Kontrol S88, Komplete 13, DP11, UAD Apollo Twin Duo, East/West Composer Cloud, Vienna, Arturia V8, Yamaha Enspire Pro Disklavier Piano
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

Hundreds? In a working day there are 480 minutes. So, even if you reach the bare minimum to be able to say "hundreds," (let's say, for the sake of the easy math, 240 files), then you are opening, acting on and closing a MIDI file once every 2 minutes, without a break, for 8 hours straight.

What the hell is your job? :)

All kidding aside, if you are moving from one project to another repeatedly throughout the day, then simply don't close the project you're currently working on. With the project open, go to the pull down menu commands FIle>Open or File>Open Recent and select the next file.... DP will close the project you're working on (after prompting you to save, of course) and open the one you want.

Or, if that's not handy for your workflow, navigate to the next project you want to work on in the Finder, double click its icon, and DP will close the project you're working on (after prompting you to save) and open the one you selected, without ever showing you the Welcome Screen.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
joelmusic

Post by joelmusic »

Gravity Jim wrote:Hundreds? In a working day there are 480 minutes. So, even if you reach the bare minimum to be able to say "hundreds," (let's say, for the sake of the easy math, 240 files), then you are opening, acting on and closing a MIDI file once every 2 minutes, without a break, for 8 hours straight.

What the hell is your job? :)

All kidding aside, if you are moving from one project to another repeatedly throughout the day, then simply don't close the project you're currently working on. With the project open, go to the pull down menu commands FIle>Open or File>Open Recent and select the next file.... DP will close the project you're working on (after prompting you to save, of course) and open the one you want.

Or, if that's not handy for your workflow, navigate to the next project you want to work on in the Finder, double click its icon, and DP will close the project you're working on (after prompting you to save) and open the one you selected, without ever showing you the Welcome Screen.
OK - I'll try that last suggestion. I work for Yamaha QCing songs and I often do just work a couple of minutes on a file, just opening it and changing some controller setup info or something and moving on. So I'll just leave the current project open as I double click the next, that way the splash screen won't come up. Wish there was a preference!
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

Gravity Jim wrote:Hundreds? In a working day there are 480 minutes. So, even if you reach the bare minimum to be able to say "hundreds," (let's say, for the sake of the easy math, 240 files), then you are opening, acting on and closing a MIDI file once every 2 minutes, without a break, for 8 hours...
Sorry for the off-topic comment, but I must say I LOVE this place!
Nothing "strange" goes without scrutiny. We are kept on our toes, which I like and appreciate. Just like in my beloved science forums I visit daily.

Who said musicians couldn't be rigorous too? 8)
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
joelmusic

Post by joelmusic »

FMiguelez wrote:
Gravity Jim wrote:Hundreds? In a working day there are 480 minutes. So, even if you reach the bare minimum to be able to say "hundreds," (let's say, for the sake of the easy math, 240 files), then you are opening, acting on and closing a MIDI file once every 2 minutes, without a break, for 8 hours...
Sorry for the off-topic comment, but I must say I LOVE this place!
Nothing "strange" goes without scrutiny.
Strange but true I'm afraid - sometimes I'm in a MIDI file for 30 seconds, actually - change a cc7 value from 127 to 100 - close file, done... easily hundreds on some days...
FMiguelez

Post by FMiguelez »

I meant that as a general comment, not aimed at your situation. I also put the word strange between quotation marks...
Mac Mini Server i7 2.66 GHs/16 GB RAM / OSX 10.14 / DP 9.52
Tascam DM-24, MOTU Track 16, all Spectrasonics' stuff,
Vienna Instruments SUPER PACKAGE, Waves Mercury, slaved iMac and Mac Minis running VEP 7, etc.

---------------------------

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded by uncertainty cannot be the truth." ― Richard Feynman
csiaudio
Location: Indiana; Where the corn is tall and the women are wide!

Post by csiaudio »

I sorta find it funny that people have to come up with a work around or change their work flow to adjust to this forced change. However, if MOTU would simply give us the option to not have the 'Welcome Window' with a 'None' option as it was previously - this would completely solve the issue thus making it a non-issue. This way those who like it can have at it and those who don't can have that option.

Just one man's opinion.
Capturing the Colors of Sound!

Mac Mini M1 2020 -- DP 11.2 -- Universal Audio Apollo Quad -- Apollo Twin -- SPL Kultube Compressor -- Slate Virtual Mic -- Eve SC207's w/KRK Sub
Prime Mover

Post by Prime Mover »

I'm sure they will. It's probably ridiculously simple. It probably wouldn't even require any code, just a change to the Interface Builder file (if they use that).
— Eric Barker
Eel House

"All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio"
MacPro 1,1 2Ghz 7GB RAM OS 10.6.8 | MacBook Pro 13" i5 1.8Ghz 16GB RAM OS 10.8.2
DP7/8 | Komplete 7 | B4II | Korg Legacy Analog | Waves v9 (various) | Valhalla Room | EWQLSO Gold
MOTU 828mkII | MOTU 8pre | Presonus BlueTube | FMR RNC
Themes: Round is Right and Alloy
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

joelmusic wrote:I did a search and didn't find 'welcome window' in any posts... :?
See

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =9&t=54195

The title of the thread is rather cryptically called Welcome Window - Why?
Gary Shepherd
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Digital Performer 11.3, Studio One 6.6 Professional, Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Editor, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.72, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
joelmusic

Post by joelmusic »

Guitar Gaz wrote:
joelmusic wrote:I did a search and didn't find 'welcome window' in any posts... :?
See

Ah, thanks - - your post, in gripes, etc. - I must be challenged in the 'search' dept - I input Welcome Window and just get my post.
Guitar Gaz

Post by Guitar Gaz »

joelmusic wrote:
Guitar Gaz wrote:
See

Ah, thanks - - your post, in gripes, etc. - I must be challenged in the 'search' dept - I input Welcome Window and just get my post.
Maybe you need to enter "Welcome Window" within speech marks? That should find it. Anyhow, the answer is that you can avoid the welcome window. I did not like it at first but now I quite like it (apart from the boring colour scheme!). Live with it a while....
Gary Shepherd
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Good to see you back, Joel.

Open DP8, go to Preferences>General>Document. Set "Startup Options" to
"Reopen last file". At least that will get you out of the Welcome Window.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com