DP8 mute/solo bug

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
taylor12k
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

DP8 mute/solo bug

Post by taylor12k »

just noticed this happening... could be with 8.02 or 8.03.. not sure if it started with 8 or one of the recent updates...

but.. when i press MUTE or SOLO or RECORD (or INPUT) on the mixer channel strips... it takes either about 2 or 3 seconds to engage.. or disengage. sometimes the button engages right away, if so, it takes 2 or 3 seconds to disengage when i click it again. or, sometimes it takes 2 or 3 seconds to engage, and then disengages right away when i click again.

it's every time, all the time. every channel, etc.

running in 32 bit mode on a 2008 mac pro ... maybe my machine's just too old.

anyone else experiencing this?
jbyerly1
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP8 mute/solo bug

Post by jbyerly1 »

I say you are correct in assuming the computer might be struggling.
Mac Pro 4,1, OS 10.9.5, 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB 1066 MHz, DP 8.07, Apogee Ensemble, UA SOLO 610, Euphonix MC Control & MC mix, JBL Monitors, Ocean Way Drums Gold, Komplete 7, Waves Classic Studio Bundle,Stylus RMX, iZotope RX,1TB glyph Drive, Carvin 6 string Bass
http://www.HorizonEntertainment-NC.com
taylor12k

Post by taylor12k »

DP8 is that much more resource hungry? perhaps...

if apple would get off their asses and give us new mac pros....
jbyerly1 wrote:I say you are correct in assuming the computer might be struggling.
Timeline

Post by Timeline »

Isn't this the pref selection to release/mute the plugin resources when muted. I always turned that off in the past.
2009 Intel 12 core 3.46, 64GB, OSX.10.14.6, Mojave, DP11, MTPAV, Key-station 49,(2) RME FF800,
DA-3000 DSF-5.6mhz, Mackie Control. Hofa DDP Pro, FB@ http://www.facebook.com/garybrandt2
Gravity Jim

Post by Gravity Jim »

I run DP8 on a 2008 8-core MacPro and it's plenty responsive. How much RAM do you have and why aren't you running in 64-bit mode?

Also, why do you need Apple to do anything? Buy a refurb 2012 12-core if you think the hardware just isn't up to snuff. Those machines are beasts... Aside from maybe adding Thundbolt, a new MacPro wouldn't perform any better.
Jim Bordner

MacPro 5,1 (3.33Ghz 12-core), 32g RAM, OS X 10.14.6 • MOTU DP 10.11 • Logic Pro X 10.2.5 • Waves Platinum, UAD-2, Slate Digital, Komplete, Omnisphere 2, LASS, CineSamples, Chipsounds, V Collection 5[color]
taylor12k

Post by taylor12k »

64bit mode: good question. i've never wanted to go through the hassle of making sure all my plug ins are 64 bit.. and losing ones that aren't...

but i guess, after i finish this project i'm in the middle of, i can try that. probably good to get up to speed (no pun intended).

new mac pro: well, since new ones have been "on the horizon" for over a year now, i hesitate buying a 3 year old machine. this 2008 8 core has been amazing. 5 years on and still running great. this slowdown (also happens when i press play and stop) is the first time i've felt like i needed a new machine.

i have 8 gigs of RAM

Gravity Jim wrote:I run DP8 on a 2008 8-core MacPro and it's plenty responsive. How much RAM do you have and why aren't you running in 64-bit mode?

Also, why do you need Apple to do anything? Buy a refurb 2012 12-core if you think the hardware just isn't up to snuff. Those machines are beasts... Aside from maybe adding Thundbolt, a new MacPro wouldn't perform any better.
taylor12k

Post by taylor12k »

i switched to 64 bit and loaded my project.. half the plugs didn't load (don't think iv'e udpated UAD in a while..) but, even with 1/2 the plugs not loaded and in 64 bit mode.. it still lagged when muting/unmuting.

Gravity Jim wrote:I run DP8 on a 2008 8-core MacPro and it's plenty responsive. How much RAM do you have and why aren't you running in 64-bit mode?

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Timeline wrote:Isn't this the pref selection to release/mute the plugin resources when muted. I always turned that off in the past.
I bet this is what's accounting for the delay.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 RC1, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!