Hardware connection advice, please!

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
spitfire31
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Hardware connection advice, please!

Post by spitfire31 »

Hi MOTUers,

I'm going to make my first jazz group live recording, demanding more than eight channels, in a couple of weeks. I'm planning to daisychain my Fireface 400 to my MIO 2882 to provide an extra four channels, totalling 12.

I've been hunting through the DP7 telephone book manual backwards and forwards, looking for Hardware Setup, Configure Hardware, and so on. It just isn't there, or maybe I'm too stupid to find it in the index.

Using Google and searching for h/w threads here at MOTU Nation, I've concluded that I don't need to bother with Core Audio Aggregates, but just use the DP Hardware Setup to, er… set up my two FW interfaces.

• So, do I need to send wordclock from my planned master, the MIO, to the FF400? Or will the DP drivers automatically provide sync through Hardware Setup, somehow?

• Do I assign the MIO as clock master in H/W Setup?

• Any other tips or tricks for stable operation without any digital click or phasing issues?

I wouldn't have to bother you, if I only could find clear instructions in the DP manual. But I can't… :oops:

Kind regards,

Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it.
4stripes
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Hardware connection advice, please!

Post by 4stripes »

Clock is always either internal or external. Any time multiple converters are used you need a common clock. No, software drivers would not sync two different interfaces, you need to use a cable.

I don't think it's possible to use multiple different hardware units at the same time, because your software can only pick one driver at a time.

I would, um, just try it before your gig to see what you need...
Phil O

Post by Phil O »

Look in the smaller Getting Started book. Most of the set-up stuff is in there. I always forget to check there if I can't find something.

I'm on the road right now with my laptop, so I don't have DP or the manual in front of me, but my best guess would be to use word clock in accordance with set up instructions in your hardware manual and set your MIO as master in DP Hardware Setup as you said. Be sure both hardware devices are selected in hardware setup and set your host buffer multiplier to 2. I'm sure someone will chime in if I said something wrong (please?). Good luck.

Phil
DP 11.32, 2020 M1 Mac Mini [9,1] (16 Gig RAM), Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core [6,1] (16 Gig RAM), OS 14.5/11.6.2, Lynx Aurora (n) 8tb, MOTU 8pre-es, MOTU M6, MOTU 828, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Satellite, a truckload of outboard gear and plug-ins, and a partridge in a pear tree.
spitfire31

Post by spitfire31 »

Phil O wrote:Look in the smaller Getting Started book. Most of the set-up stuff is in there. I always forget to check there if I can't find something.
And I always forget where I misplaced the Getting Started booklet… ;-)
Phil O wrote:…my best guess would be to use word clock in accordance with set up instructions in your hardware manual and set your MIO as master in DP Hardware Setup as you said. Be sure both hardware devices are selected in hardware setup and set your host buffer multiplier to 2.
Phil
Thank you, Phil! I made an experimental setup today, and your advice seems to have nailed it – MIO as master, sending W/C to FF and host buffer multiplier to 2. Both boxes available as input/output options for tracks. Encouraging so far!
4stripes wrote:I don't think it's possible to use multiple different hardware units at the same time, because your software can only pick one driver at a time.
In fact it is very possible. As I understand it, that's one of the beautiful advantages of DP over, say, Logic. DP's Hardware Setup allows you to use several different drivers at the same time, at least in Mac OS.
4stripes wrote:I would, um, just try it before your gig to see what you need...
That is very good advice! I most certainly will make test recordings beforehand.

Kind regards,

Joachim
If it were easy, anybody could do it.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

spitfire31 wrote:In fact it is very possible. As I understand it, that's one of the beautiful advantages of DP over, say, Logic. DP's Hardware Setup allows you to use several different drivers at the same time, at least in Mac OS.
Absolutely!

And you have the right idea- get the clock from wherever your best or primary A/D converter is (MIO is a very good choice), and run a word clock cable to the other interface(s) and slave them.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.